10-22mm
Accessories (filters, spare batteries )

Possibly in addition

24-105m F4
Small retractable tripod

requirements

Not expensive (no Fstop bags etc)
Doesnt shout camera bag - backpacking, staying in hostels etc
Must have decent top compartments to hold a few things - ie double up as a daypack or hand luggage for flights.

Suggest away ....

Thanks!

Dakine Sequence. Looks like a regular backpack, has rear entry so can't be opened without you knowing. Plenty of space for your gear plus extras

Neil

As ever I shall throw the Lowepro Flipside 400AW into the mix

Thanks guys also if you suggest a bag please if you don't mind posting a link - happy to google just might save abit of time!

I'm worried the lowerpro is widely recognised as a camera bag hence why it becomes a target....

Have you looked at Kata Bumblebee? Also if you can find one second hand a Lowepro Primus AW. Will fit all your equipment in though the additional 24-105 would need to go in the top compartment.

LowePro Pro Runner 350AW. Love mine. I'd really struggle to find a reason to not love it.

Been using a Dakine Mission photo for a few years now, travelled all over india, nepal, indonesia and lots of time in europe. Holds 5d, 17-40, 50, 100, 70-200, ex580, reflector, laptop, ipod and tripod with no hassle (though it weighs heavy and makes me curse in the tropics)
Does the job really well. No complaints. recommended

Something like this, but mine an older version

http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/da...oducts&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=172102

Oh and the extractable padded inner is good if you need the bag for use on its own. Waterproof cover is useful too in wind rain and snow

Last edited:
Dakine bag looks pretty good - as I read it the removable padded camera section slots in? Bit pricy compared to the others

kata bumblebee - really like that but concerned a 60d with 70-200 will struggle to fit in the slot ok. Looks more tricky to remove.

Tringa - nice little bag that but not sure it will hold my kit and pictures don't show it opened up to judge.

Lowerpro 250 AW, primus AW and 350 all look decent I just wish I could try them all before I made a decision .

Ideally I need a decent bag sore I can take my equipment in and try. The top compartment is quite essential to me so I can carry additional gear to the camera stuff.

Also liking the Tamrac 9....

I have an primus arctic lowepro something or other
takes a 40D and 70-200 lens attached (but not with a TC on it, unless you squash it!)
313fLCVXueL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I posted up a pic of my new Think tank sling-o-matic in another bag thread: [just scroll to find the image]

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=441300

As you can see it fits a 70-200 2.8, a 24-70 a 105mm a 50mm and a D800 body, with the usual bits and pieces. This guy shows it in use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1T2XefJMo

It looks more like a plain padded case rather than a camera bag concealing expensive gear. I bought it for a trip to NYC in Dec, and also because my old Vanguard up-rise 45 was getting a bit tight for my expanding gear.

I also like the look of the Dakine one mentioned by Da_nige, and those Fstop ones look tasty. But since I already bought this sling o matic, I'm going to give it a chance.

Forget photo-dedicated backpacks, they're just not as comfortable or as well designed as normal hiking backpacks. I've made my own by using a Lowe Alpine Centro 45

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-airzone-centro-45-plus-10-daypack-p98607

It has a large side access panel which takes a good size padded insert which I bought from Ebay which holds all my camera gear, the bag has lots of room too for hiking clothing etc. Also has a great netting system on the front which is perfect for carrying a tripod centrally

Simon

Last edited:
I recently picked up a tamrac aero 75 seems well made as doesn't screen camera bag :) the day pack compartment could do with being a little bigger though IMO.

Forget photo-dedicated backpacks, they're just not as comfortable or as well designed as normal hiking backpacks. I've made my own by using a Lowe Alpine Centro 45

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-airzone-centro-45-plus-10-daypack-p98607

It has a large side access panel which takes a good size padded insert which I bought from Ebay which holds all my camera gear, the bag has lots of room too for hiking clothing etc. Also has a great netting system on the front which is perfect for carrying a tripod centrally

Simon

I'm inclined to agree, I use a Deuter Futura backpack with the padded insert from a camera rucksack in the bottom half (camera stuff in the bottom, other bits and pieces in the top). It would hold a 70-200 in the main compartment no worries.

Simon

Looking on eBay at these padded inserts but can't really see what you mean? Can you link me a few?

I would agree with getting a normal back pack and then adding either Domke style padded inserts, a top loader style bag coupled with lens bags for your other lenses or just make your own from camping mat foam (which is sufficient protection IME).

The benefit of this method I have found is that you get a backpack which suits your needs, and you can figure out camera storage to suit you too. Best of both worlds IMO.

I would agree with getting a normal back pack and then adding either Domke style padded inserts, a top loader style bag coupled with lens bags for your other lenses or just make your own from camping mat foam (which is sufficient protection IME).

The benefit of this method I have found is that you get a backpack which suits your needs, and you can figure out camera storage to suit you too. Best of both worlds IMO.

Liking the sound of this .

Had a good look at some bags yesterday - great for just camera equipment but don't hold much else. Also they seem quite heavy compared to a lighter mountain pack? If can find a decent compartment to protect it all it sounds like a good idea.

Looking on eBay at these padded inserts but can't really see what you mean? Can you link me a few?

Here's the exact one that fits perfectly in the Lowe Allpine Centro

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSLR-Fold..._Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item4aaf25c0b2

I've actually bought this one which is where all the gear goes, it has a closable padded main flap and also 2 internal small flaps which are perfect for closing over the top of my DSLR for additional protection.

I've also bought an additional slightly larger insert, stripped out all the partitions and dropped this one into it for double protection and it keeps it's shape much better when outdoor gear is placed on top. Here's the side view of the bag, not the best shot but hopefully you get the idea.

You can see the backpack also has an excellent large internal pocket where I store all the "bits and bobs". Currently in the insert I have:

Pentax K5 body with 17-70 lens attached
Lee small filter case holding 6 lee filter
Lee foundation kit with 2 adaptor rings
105mm polariser in a plastic protective case
rocket blower
12-24mm lens + 35mm prime
2 spare DSLR batteries
small metal case for SD cards
Hoya 67mm polariser in plastic case
12-24 lens hood

The strapping on the front is also near perfect for carrying around my Benro CF tripod, keeping it central for best balance when scrambling etc.

I've bought, tried and quickly sold the Clik Elite Contrejour 40, Vanguard Skyborne 51 - expensive bags but just not good enough for the money, or infact any money!!

I also had a quick look at the F Stop Loki, owned by Joe Cornish as it happens, and whilst I'm pretty sure it's the best designed photo backpack you'll get it's harness system and access to the equipment are flawed IMHO.

I'm amazed that one of the hiking backpack manufacturers hasn't seen the opportunities for this but in the meantime I think I've found a solution that's as good as it gets at the moment for me, total cost was around £120 for the backpack + 2 inserts

IMG_1447.jpg

Last edited:
Back