Bags (need 2)..backpack and Messenger - D800, 16-35F4, 24-120

Edit My Images
No
Posted a question a while ago when I first bought the D800 but have changed my kit a little since buying so I'm deliberating bag choice again...decided I need 2. Main usage is holidays

1. A backpack type bag for carrying around my gear and some personal stuff like waterproof coat, snacks, my Sony Rx100 and a few more bits and bobs

2. Messenger bag, something discrete and as small as practically possible, just to carry the camera gear

Options I've looked at so far are: Think Tank Retrospective 7, Lowepro Pro Messenger 160AW, Lowepro Slingshot 202AW - all seem possibilities

Also came across a Cullmann Madrid Maxima 330 which was recommended by a couple of people, seems very cheap and little info available on the web though

Appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Simon

I've got a Retrospective 20 and whilst that will be too big for what you want (maybe), it is well built and looks good. Not like a camera bag at all

Thanks for the feedback... I do think the 7 is probably the best size for my needs as I won't be carry around much gear in the messenger

I've a Lowepro Mini Trekker and it's a great backpack - The Pro runner is the new version and certainly worth a look at...

I bought a 'normal' messenger bag and then bought a protective insert off ebay,
JohnyT

I did this as well. Cheapest option imo and works really well.

Lowepro event messenger 250 is a superb bag, i use mine to for a D800, 16-35mm f/4VR, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII and batteries, cards, filters, gorillapod etc, etc

Lowepro event messenger 250 is a superb bag, i use mine to for a D800, 16-35mm f/4VR, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII and batteries, cards, filters, gorillapod etc, etc

Thanks Gary, forgot to mention I already have that on the list as I recently tried out the 150 version which was just a little too small for the D800 but was pretty impressed with the quality for a relatively cheap bag

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that has any room for personal gear

Not a problem. Was working on the personal gear you suggested in the initial post, I can put my trousers and a few items in the front external pocket, you can get a bottle holder for the outside if required and obviously you can put a few bits inside if you wish.

Cheers

The F-stop Guru with small pro insert holds a surprising amount of stuff - photo and otherwise. Not sure from your post if need to carry your full outfit with you or if it's just for the Sony, though........

It's not a true 2 section bag because small items can wriggle down around the sides of the insert, but it's pretty good.

Last edited:
I've ended up liking the Crumpler JackPack 7500 quite a bit. Fits perfectly for camera, two lenses and some accesories.

Looks good and is very well made too...

Bag_001.jpg

Bag_010.jpg

Thanks for the additional suggestion... the F stop is probably overkill regarding gear storage and the back system, I'm really thinking more of a light-ish weight easy access backpack for city breaks etc. The Crumpler I'll definitely be taking a closer look at

Simon

I've got a Think Tank Retrospective 7 in blue slate and it is perfect for me when I don't need to carry all my gear about, my only gripe about this and my retro 30 is the lack of a quiet fastening system rather than the noise of velcro, other than that they are very well made bags that don't scream photographer.

I've got a Think Tank Retrospective 7 in blue slate and it is perfect for me when I don't need to carry all my gear about, my only gripe about this and my retro 30 is the lack of a quiet fastening system rather than the noise of velcro, other than that they are very well made bags that don't scream photographer.

Looking the favourite so far the 7... how bulky do you find it when loaded with gear?

Thanks

I find it ok, had a D700, grip & 24-70 attached plus an 85 and bits and bobs, easy enough to carry around, easier now I have moved to Fuji.

They are a great bag, I looked at others but the quality of TT bags won me over plus the fact this does not look like a camera bag.

I have the event messenger 250. Its an ace bag, I have the 6D with the 24-105, 70-200 F4, Sigma flash, Panasonic camcorder and accessories for all. Not much space for anything else except a super slim line laptop or tablet.

I have the event messenger 250. Its an ace bag, I have the 6D with the 24-105, 70-200 F4, Sigma flash, Panasonic camcorder and accessories for all. Not much space for anything else except a super slim line laptop or tablet.

Thanks for the suggestion.. must admit I found the 150 a bit too rigid/bulky and obviously a camera bag, I'm probably thinking more of the canvas bags like the Lowepro pro messenger 160AW although Timbuk2 do some great looking bags although not sure they work size wise, llok a bit small for full frame

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/snoop-slr-camera-case-messenger-bag

+1 for the Kata 3n1. It might look too much like a camera bag for your taste but it's really comfortable in the "x" configuration as it supports across your chest as well as shoulders.

Back