Balmashanner Signpost
sbis1d.jpg

Climbing Balmashanner
dwq9zs.jpg

Forfar Through The Trees
2r7n0o8.jpg

Where Criminals Used To Get Hung
317fqs2.jpg

I looked at these last night and waited to see what comments you received as I rarely critique people work. As nobody's replied, I'll throw my opinions into the hat.

Firstly, welcome to TP, Stevan.

Image 1. An interesting building but you've broken the rule of thirds by placing it smack in the centre of the viewfinder. I also find the tree that's directly in line with the tower highly distracting. The main subject here is the tower and I want to see it in all its glory.

Image 2. The same applies here regarding composition: if you want the snowman in the shot, place it to the left or the right but not centre stage. I like the look of the landscape that you've chosen but I'd like to see it without bushes in the foreground and, for me, the snowman adds nothing.

Image 3. This is the pick of your shots IMO. Nice sky and the trees to the right balance the picture by detracting from the sign post being in the centre. You might want to just straighten the post up slightly but nice job.

Image 4. Quite like the line of the fence on the left but I dislike the jarring green of the other fence and the background building and the two fences going off in separate directions aren't pleasing on the eye. Black and white might improve the look of this as it would tone down the distracting green fence and building.

Image 5. I quite like the idea of peering through the line of trees to see the snowy landscape beyond. This is my second favourite of your set.

Image 6. Not keen on this at all. I don't know what the object in the foreground is, it's too centralised and the background doesn't seem to feature anything in particular.

I know you'll think I've been a bit savage here with my analysis but this is how we all learn. Take a look at the rule of thirds, Stevan and think hard about composition. Keep shooting. :)

Reconnaissance is never wasted

Grammar I am great at, photography less so - but working at it....

I had nothing to add photographically to the previous poster - but was just pointing out a little fact. Apologies - no pedancy or offence meant to anyone.

Cheers

Reconnaissance is never wasted

Grammar I am great at, photography less so - but working at it....

I had nothing to add photographically to the previous poster - but was just pointing out a little fact. Apologies - no pedancy or offence meant to anyone.

Cheers

None taken, Mike. I'm all for custodians of the lost apostrophe etc. :)

Back