Barcelona (a bit photo heavy!)

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Last week my girlfriend and I went to Barcelona for a little break. I took my Mamiya C220 along with me as well as my DSLR like usual. I had so much fun with my Mamiya that the DSLR stayed in the hotel room for pretty much the entire time! Here's a few photos from the week. There are quite a few as I couldn't pick my favourites! All of them were taken on Portra 400, except for the first four which are the last of a roll of Ektar 100 which was already in the camera

Walking along La Rambla the evening we arrived

Barcelona
by Carl Hall Photography, on Flickr

One of the markets in the centre of the city

Barcelona

Barcelona

Barcelona

Angi at a cafe that we went to each morning

Barcelona

One of the squares off La Rambla

Barcelona

I really, really love mojitos!

Barcelona

reminded me of my time there last year - seemed to be a lot of drinking going on lol ;)

Very nice indeed. May I ask please (as a beginner) why you used the shallow DOF on the food items? I'm interested as it's not something I would have thought of, i.e. blurring out the edges to draw the eye to the centre. I would have seen the whole tray as the subject and this has intrigued me, shot 2 especially.

Oh, that last shot, I really like this. Yes, symmetry, appeals very much to my OCD. :) (I can't drive an Alfa because of that off-centre front number plate :D ) Lovely perspective, fantastic building and the colour balance is wonderful. If that was a poster/painting/framed print and I saw it in a shop I'd buy it.

Dom

Too many to comment on individually but that's a cracking set, my two favourites are the chillies and the water spouts.

Super collection of a great city! Nice work!(y)

Thanks Warren, it's a fantastic city, could easily have spent longer there as there's so much to see and do!

Some great shots there.

Cheers Shane :)

Too many to comment on individually but that's a cracking set, my two favourites are the chillies and the water spouts.

Thanks Nick, I'm still getting used to the incredbily shallow DOF with MF :)

Very nice indeed. May I ask please (as a beginner) why you used the shallow DOF on the food items? I'm interested as it's not something I would have thought of, i.e. blurring out the edges to draw the eye to the centre. I would have seen the whole tray as the subject and this has intrigued me, shot 2 especially.

Oh, that last shot, I really like this. Yes, symmetry, appeals very much to my OCD. :) (I can't drive an Alfa because of that off-centre front number plate :D ) Lovely perspective, fantastic building and the colour balance is wonderful. If that was a poster/painting/framed print and I saw it in a shop I'd buy it.

Dom

I was using Ektar 100 so to get anywhere near hand holdable speeds (1/30 sec) I had to shoot wide open at f/2.8 which gave me the really shallow DOF. I'm also quite new to medium format (and film in general, actually), so I was having a play and seeing what the DOF would be like at f/2.8. I quite like the shallow DOF on the chillies shot as it focuses on the little sign (although I don't know what it actually says!)

Haha yes, that's why the church appealed to me, I love symmetry in photos as well. Cheers Dom :)

That's a really interesting and varied set Carl. Very impressed with your eye and technical skill as well. Lovely work.

Andy

It looks like you enjoyed your time in Barcelona! I think that the strongest photos are the two of the chocolates and the one of the chillies (putting the bellows focusing to good use, it would seem). I'm a big fan of detail shots for travel/holiday photographs.

For some of the contrastier scenes, such as a few of the photos from Poble Espanyol, I think that the images could use a boost in exposure in Lightroom and a bit of warmth; they're just a hair dark and cool to my eye. That said, I'm far from an expert and perhaps that was the look that you wanted, so feel free to disregard anything I say. After all, there was a reason I decided to outsource all of my colour negative developing and scanning... :)

Back