Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Had an epic weekend with the better half for our 10th Anniversary, it
involved driving the west coast of the Highlands in a Caterham and staying
in some amazing accomodation at Lochinver. Anyway the Caterham didn't have
much room for my photography equipment but I did manage to bag this shot at
Talmine Bay on the far north coast. Comments and critique always welcome.

Bare Bones by dubzter, on Flickr

take out a lot of sky and the boat is then really in the front of house
there is a bit of a struggle going on with the spars and the far land mass so an adjustment is required or shallow dof
your treatment of the shot is graphic so i cant say its oversharpened
a hard edges and in our faces shot..which is the plus side

cheers
geof

Well processed, I suspect it was quite hard pulling the boat out from the land beyond it. Nice B&W.

Cheers Toby, you ain't wrong, it took me all day to pull the boat into that position :D seriously though there wasn't enough height behind me to get an angle that the boat didn't protrude onto the landscape in tha background. I didn't really think about it at the time but that is a lesson learned and I need to try to remeber to take my time and thing about all aspects of the frame(ing).

Geoff cheers for the comments, I see what you mean about the spars and the land behind them clashing, not much I can do about that now but something to bear in mind for future shots. Do you think a 16:9 crop would work better cutting out some of the sky?

yes a 16:9...and that is just words...a wide crop to dimensions which contain all the information and perhaps a bit of peripheral data...some call it letterbox
the clash bit is a pig in my shots as well and i usually try some sort of cloning
it doesnt always lend itself to the imagery though...i just store the fact to my ageing brain and hope i can do better next time..
its a good shot so dont feel my critique is anything but extreme and downright fussy

cheers
geof

Back