Barely adequate cricket photos

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
A few weeks ago, I bought a Tokina 70mm-210mm for £14 off of eBay, with no great hopes for it, but just so I could try out something longer on my GF1/MD adaptor.

I popped down to the Forest Farm nature park today to see if could see some wildlife, but I took a wrong turning and ended up watching Cardiff CC play cricket.

So, I took advantage and took a lot of photos . . . most of which were utter garbage. Apparently, shooting moving objects at 70 yards range with a hand-held crappy manual focus zoom that has the sharpness at the long end of a lump of brie is hard. Who knew?! ;)

Here are a few of the ones that are barely adequate if you don't look too hard.

The trouble is, I might have caught the bug. I've been looking at lenses . . . would the Panasonic 100-300mm f4-5.6 be any good for this sort of thing? I absolutely don't have the budget for anything more expensive than that, and I'm not going to ditch m4/3 either, so I'm hoping that lens would be at least help me take photos I'm happy with.

P1060724 by Arfonfab, on Flickr

P1060725 by Arfonfab, on Flickr

P1060711 by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Looking at the photos I kept again, I'm not sure whether it's more the lens, or the GF1's performance at 800 ISO that's the problem. I guess OIS would let me drop the ISO to 400. Or maybe I should just get a monopod :p

Last edited:
these pics will lok a lot better with some pp.. under exposed as is.. brighten them up a bit?:)

Ta! I have PPed them, but I guess I haven't gotten them right (I've never managed to calibrate my monitor to my satisfaction)

These ones have grown on me, as long as I look at them on here, rather than pixel-peeping in Lightroom. I've since noticed that I could almost certainly have dropped down the ISO from 800 to 400 for these shots, and I would have been much happier with them if I had. More practice for me!

Wow! So great all pics shot. Cricket match photography is looking so beautiful capture. I want more Cricket match Photos. Please post one more. Thanks for nice sharing. Well done buddy.

sniff sniff ... somehting not right here ? :)

They are not that bad at all, you are being a bit hard on yourself.

I don't know much about your camera system but the metering seems a bit inconsistent between the shots you posted. You could could use manual mode and once metered correctly for the scene at hand you could snap away with perfect exposures (obviously checking histogram for changes in light and altering settings accordingly, every once in a while).

Monopods are good for stability and a no name brand is only a few quid on Ebay.

Love your nickname by the way, he was a hell of a sprinter in his day.

So thats 2 cardiff boys bought 70-210 Tokinas of Ebay recently,and for the same price!

Nice pics.

eddie

Back