Bargin: Canon 1dmkIII

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I wandered into Currys off J9 M6 today, they have a pretty big photographic section, most of it is quite dear but something that caught my eye was a 1D Mk III for £2397.80

I found myself asking if they had any in stock other than the display one which was in a case but the box underneath had a sticker which said 2 year warranty offer expires dec 08 so it may have been one of the early ones with problems

he said they had 3 but luckily my credit card only has a £2000 limit :D

I bought mine from Jessops in December, just in time to clinch the extended warranty. Mine came with a yellow dot on the box and firmware 1.2.3, both of which indicate it was manufactured with all the latest hardware and software fixes included during manufacture. Well, that was true up until a couple of days ago when Canon issued a recall on all 1D3 and 1Ds3 bodies for a brand new hardware fix, subject to testing, and released a newer firmware.

If you want a 1D3 just make sure it comes with firmware 1.2.3 installed. Maybe the very latest models will have 1.2.5. Unfortunately, whatever it has, it may need to go straight off to Canon for a check and possible fix to the AF.

If you want to check the date of manufacture you need to look deep inside the battery compartment - right at the far end - and you will see a date code. You can look up the date from the table on this web page - http://www.the-digital-picture.com/canon-lenses/canon-lens-aging.aspx. Anything manufactured in 2008 (W) or 2009 (X) should be fine, subject to the new recall notice, which you can find here....

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support...faqtcmuri=tcm:13-631121&page=1&type=important

i just received an email from canon saying they are extremly busy and the earliest collection now is the 11th of March, i need mine for the 19th so hopefully if i book it in by then it will be back with me, if not i will have it done after. There is a 3 day turnaround for this fix.

It's a three day turnaround at Canon. You need to allow a day either side for the courier and if a weekend gets stuck in the way that's another couple of days. Mine gets picked up next Wednesday. I was also given the "three days" story but what that actually meant is that I'll get the camera back the following Wednesday, maybe Tuesday if I'm lucky.

Back