Bathrooms

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Well, its time for a new bathroom. Am in a bit of a dilemma, and that is, to do away with the bath or not to create more space, its not much used as we already have a separate shower cubical.
Have always held onto the bath as was always told it was a good selling point but have been advised today that more and more people are not renewing them when doing there bathrooms out.
My two grandchildren, both under five now just shower. Appreciate this is down to a personal choice but would like to hear other peoples opinion.

When we purchased the house we are in now we had a lovely disabled converted bathroom.. 6 months later the Wife was missing a bath so I had to gut it and make it a conventional normal bathroom :(

No advice for you really I just miss the disabled converted one with wet room floor and no bath, you could fling water all over the place without worry..

Space for what ?
A bath is a place to relax and escape, a shower is a place to get clean in.
We have a jacuzzi-type bath - perfect for enjoying some escape, some luxuriating , some wine, some privacy. We also have a shower for washing in. Invaluable.

When we purchased the house we are in now we had a lovely disabled converted bathroom.. 6 months later the Wife was missing a bath so I had to gut it and make it a conventional normal bathroom :(

No advice for you really I just miss the disabled converted one with wet room floor and no bath, you could fling water all over the place without worry..

A mate bought a house with a bathless wet room so he put a cast iron bath on feet in with the drain running onto the wet room floor. Best of both worlds!

I shower to get clean but like a long soak to relax as well.

If you have a shower AND a bath ...... best of both world. (y)

I'm lucky - I have 2 bathrooms - one with a giant sized cast iron bath with a spectacular front panel [ black with fishes on it :) ] and a decent size separate shower and a downstairs wet room with shower and no bath.

Both get used :)

We've used showers since the 1970s and my kids grew up with them. None of us bath if there's a shower available. Much quicker and easier, and I'm not interested in lying in a bath to 'relax'.

Many companies require you to pay in-full up-front. Try and find one that does stage payments as it is less stress for you when things don't happen the way you expected.

Many companies require you to pay in-full up-front. Try and find one that does stage payments as it is less stress for you when things don't happen the way you expected.
They aren't hard to do yourself, I wasn't a DIY type person but I renovated our last house and gutted our new one. If you know someone whi can give you a brief low down on how your water system works you can work out what to turn off to remove the old one and when you have an empty room it isnt hard to tile and fit new stuff. I saved thousands.

They aren't hard to do yourself, I wasn't a DIY type person but I renovated our last house and gutted our new one. If you know someone whi can give you a brief low down on how your water system works you can work out what to turn off to remove the old one and when you have an empty room it isnt hard to tile and fit new stuff. I saved thousands.

20-25 years ago I could have probably done it but old age and disability creeps in and it becomes impossible to do the many things that you want to do but cannot.

Well, I did not think this would be an easy choice, but after all these thought provoking comments its back to the drawing board.

Many thanks for your different views, have been really useful.

Have a look at rearranging the bathroom. We did this to ours and made much more space, so we could put in a different shaped bath, with a good power shower at the tap end. We rearranged our onsuite shower room and the new layout made much better use of the space.

Mind you, I've also remodelled the kitchen, lounge, study... Room sizes are fine, but the way the builders design the 'furniture' to go in is sometimes very strange.

20-25 years ago I could have probably done it but old age and disability creeps in and it becomes impossible to do the many things that you want to do but cannot.
I know what you mean, years ago when I was a fit young lad I would have thunked twice about the effort involved but doing this last house I was pretty stiff all over the day after a day's graft. Just with all the bending, crouching and up and down the stairs. Age is a cruel mistress!

I know what you mean, years ago when I was a fit young lad I would have thunked twice about the effort involved but doing this last house I was pretty stiff all over the day after a day's graft. Just with all the bending, crouching and up and down the stairs. Age is a cruel mistress!

That's how I feel every day :)
I start a new bathroom on Monday...
Last kitchen:
IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

We have a bath large enough to share and a separate shower, and enjoy them both. A bath is also great if you've exercised hard and want muscles to relax and joints to stop aching with a bit of warmth. Showers are good for getting clean & washing hair without sitting in a detergent solution. It's well worth carefully planning to fit both if possible.

Baths are great - till you are old and arthriticy and can't get out of them when you live alone

I've not been able to have a bath for some years - it's showers for me and shower cubicle is as big as could be fitted into the space availlable

Had our tiny bathroom refurbished last year,, no room for a bath AND shower cubicle so we had the bath removed and spent a bit extra on a decent sized gravity fed shower/cubicle which which has the overhead deluge type with optional hand shower. Best move we ever made, if I get to the stage health wise I can't stand in a shower then I'll buy a chair and use that. Once or twice I nearly went on my a$$ standing in a bath having a shower.

If anyone wants/needs a bath chair, I have one in the loft. Battery might need replacing but otherwise it's fine. Capable of lifting me (16+ stone at the time) so suitable for most!

We bought a bath with a gridded set of lumps near the plug hole and put a shower over the top. Doesn’t affect having a bath at all as they are under your calves when sat down, and means it isn’t slippy when using it as a shower.

I would love to get rid of our bath with overhead shower and get a nice large cubicle and ditch bath, haven't had a bath in years and the house in Greece doesn't have one, we just have two large open plan shower rooms.

I run a bathroom installation company and I remove lots of people's baths and replace with large walk-in type showers. I think it is a personal choice - a lot of my customers are older people and find getting into a bath quite difficult.
Personally I think that if you are lucky enough to have two rooms then keeping a bath in one is a good call, there is always a time when you fancy a good soak and also I feel it's a good selling point.
We have no bath in the house- just a large walk -in shower but we have a hot-tub outside so the relaxation side of things is covered!

Next shower/screen we have fitted will NOT have any glass!

This end panel exploded ....... & I mean exploded! not just broken, showering glass (no pun intended) all over the bathroom & 4 yds down the landing.
The lid was up on the loo at the time too & it nearly filled the bowl.

It happened one lunchtime while we were all downstairs & sounded like a wardrobe had fallen over. No one had used it from the night before & luckily it wasn't being used at the time.

2vt6qgp.jpg

Lid up, seat down? Lid kept down to prevent cat soakage here.

A bath is a must have ,the only place to read a book in peace ,just keep topping up the hot water and hope no one needs a dump for a few hours

Back