BEARDED SEAL ON MULL ONLY 2 BEARDED SEALS HAVE EVER BEEN SEEN ON MULL

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi i hope you like this
Bearded seal taken on mull
Only 2 Bearded seals on Mull have been recorded i believe.
The funny thing was the day before loads of people had come over looking for her and had drawn a blank we heard about her on a trip to the Treshnish isles. Low and behold the following day we where down by loch na Keal and my wife says whats that barrel on the rocks and as soon as i sawthe outline i guessed it was the mysterious lady in question. I spent over a hour in her presence only took photos for a while then just enjoyed sitting and sharing the view with her

Regards
Lost

Considering how little these are seen, awesome! :D Lovely shots too.

Gary.

crikey those are good (y)
well done you!

You have done a grand job of capturing a rare occasion, well done to you, fantastic job!

Superb Richard......Now that's a moment I would never forget and the images you will have for a very long time Well Done You .....:clap: :clap: (y)

No3 is simply awesome!
Amazing rare capture

Nice one! (y)

Wow:clap: Well done, brilliant shots without the added bonus of the subject being so amazing(y)(y)

The funny thing was the day before loads of people had come over looking for her and had drawn a blank

Am I bad to think that it is great when things like this happen. It is a very special moment and you obviously appreciated its true value. (y)

Excellent shots well done finding her:)
Pete

Excellent! Her whiskers are like fishing line.. superb shots.

How unusual and good captures :D

Is this a younger one losing it baby fur??? Any idea just how old?

Only one thing to say about these shots

Wow

top job

:D

Good spot and nicely captured - must have been a hour to savour.

Wow excellent work. They are the best Bearded seal pictures I have ever seen on Mull :) Seriously though I really do like the 3rd one. Brilliant.

What a pretty animal! My beard is about the same colour, just need a red hat !!

How unusual and good captures :D

Is this a younger one losing it baby fur??? Any idea just how old?

No this is a adult at a guess a young one in may and june they moult this is during the haul out season but they do shed hair all year this may be a female or male the jury is out on that one very difficult to tell normally the female is bigger than the male. Bearded seals are 7-9 feet long on average and weigh anywhere between 260-360 kg. Pups are born in April May time and are normally weaned in about 18 days. the pregnancy normally is 11 months though intrestingly the female stores the males sperm for 2 months before allowing the pregnancy to occur. They are an artic animal and their diet is clams squid and fish the adults will dive to depths of 300m while pups up to the age of a year will dive half as deep as that again some where around 450m
Regards
Lost

Just like to say thank you very much for your kind comments
Regards
Lost

Glad you enjoyed the photos
merry xmas everyone
Regards
Richard

Wow - you must have been on a high for the rest of the day :)

Thanks for all the nice comments
Regards
Richard

Back