Bedford van

A nice old find :)

The front end looks like a 1960's to 70's Bedford lorry but the coach/Charabanc body looks like a much earlier type. So I wonder if it is a local Cypriot created vehicle???

The front end looks like a 1960's to 70's Bedford lorry but the coach/Charabanc body looks like a much earlier type. So I wonder if it is a local Cypriot created vehicle???
Looking at some of the cars here...id say thays a high possibility...i dont think they have such a thing here as an MOT

It’s amazing what is still driving around the world isn’t it?

It's a Bedford TJ lorry chassis with locally built bus bodywork. It happened quite a lot in Cyprus to the point that it merits a mention in the Wikipedia entry for the Bedford TJ.

Seems they were made to a common design (even when on a different chassis) so quite possibly all made by one coachbuilder

Malta used to have a lot of similar locally bodied buses built upon a chassis that was originally a lorry, albeit with a lot more variety of makers and designs.

Last edited:

When we took on some land in the 1980s there was a Bedford tipper lorry very similar at front end 'included in the deal' it was a runner but not on the road there was no floor in the cab all rusted away.

Blimey, it's still there. Here's a picture of it taken in 2005 on my old D70. The paint has faded somewhat from the Cyprus sun unsurprisingly.

Attachments

• _DSC1010.jpg
    _DSC1010.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 10
Well spotted and captured Dave. I don't mind the background as at least it proves that the van is well travelled :D

It's a Bedford TJ lorry chassis with locally built bus bodywork. It happened quite a lot in Cyprus to the point that it merits a mention in the Wikipedia entry for the Bedford TJ.

Seems they were made to a common design (even when on a different chassis) so quite possibly all made by one coachbuilder

Malta used to have a lot of similar locally bodied buses built upon a chassis that was originally a lorry, albeit with a lot more variety of makers and designs.
Thanks for the qualified insights especially in regard to the coach building......it does seem to be a 'common' design to the island.

Back