Before the party

Great fun shots, Dan, but technically they're flawed. They're all underexposed, the processing is flat, the monos have just been converted with nothing else done to lift them, you have hard shadows, which rarely works and not enough eye contact.

Hi Dan,

The first one I like as a favourite, there is eye contact though Im not a big fan of the B&W conversion, its lacking "punch" and seems a bit underexposed.

I think if there were more eye-contact with the camera in the others they would be quite nice and in the last two, maybe get down as low as your daughter and use a much more open aperture to get rid/blur the skirting boards. as they are a bit distracting, also with the angles you have taken with them, all of the images are not level (basing it on the skirting board as a horizontal line). Hope thats useful for you :)

I don't think the skirting board has to be level - it's quite a dynamic angle shooting across the room. It's the basics that have to be correct: exposure, light and focus.

My two penneth worth...I think the last two shots would work better with a landscape crop. The floor and wall are not adding anything to these shots.

As Carl says, get lower down too - so the eyes are level with your camera, if you have another go at these.

I think the first is cropped too tight, the second needs to be cropped closer, the last two, try cropping a bit off the bottom. Look into the rule of thirds as I think it would help these pics.

Back