Beginners DSLR

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a second hand DSLR (first one) and scouring a well know auction site I find two camera kits that take my fancy

Olympus E-510 digital SLR + 14-42 and 40-150 mm standard kit lenses and

Canon D30 Digital Slr with Sigma 18-50 lens and Canon 80-200 telephoto lens.

Coming from a Fuji S9600 bridge camera I want to have as big a zoom as possible and a budget of £250, which camera/lens kit would you chaps go for?

Paul

I'd also look at the Nikon D40 and the Sony A200 - both good cameras, but if you want a lot of zoom range, £250 isn't really going to be enough unless you go for something older like the Canon D30 you have above.

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a second hand DSLR (first one) and scouring a well know auction site I find two camera kits that take my fancy

Olympus E-510 digital SLR + 14-42 and 40-150 mm standard kit lenses and

Canon D30 Digital Slr with Sigma 18-50 lens and Canon 80-200 telephoto lens.

Coming from a Fuji S9600 bridge camera I want to have as big a zoom as possible and a budget of £250, which camera/lens kit would you chaps go for?

Paul

I have an Olympus E510 with the kit lenses you mention and its a cracking combination.

If, like me you don't intend to spend lots of money upgrading your kit then the Olympus is a valid choice because the kit lenses are renound for being the best kit lenses available.

In camera image stabilisation means that any Olympus Zuiko lens will be stabilised whereas with the competitors you have to pay extra for the IS lenses.

All the "entry" level DSLR's are pretty much the same in what they can do, its what you want, or can afford to put on the front of it that matters. Excellent kit lenses, IS and not being rich helped with my decision to choose Olympus. Oh and Live View comes in handy as well.

Get out and "feel" the cameras in your hand if you can, this can make a difference when making your final choice.

We too have the Olympus E510 with the two lenses and it is very good. If you do go for the Olympus one thing I would say is there is a big difference between shooting raw and the highest jpg. I have never bothered with raw with the other cameras I have had (including the Canon 1Ds Mk2) because I found there was very little difference between raw and jpg but there is with the Olympus; I always shoot raw with the Olympus.

The Olympus is very easy to set up and making changes such as ISO and WB.

Jenny.

Go and handle the cameras in shops and see which feel "right".

Don't buy until you have done this.
Comfort is an important factor.

Cant agree more,
Feel is very important.
For my first dslr in my price range (new up to £250)
I narrowed it down to Pentax K100ds and the Nikon D40 kit.
The Pentax felt heavy and clumsy out of ballance, and the Nikon felt like the right fit.
Im a beguinner to "real photography" and trial and error will teach me :LOL:

Back