Behind the goals

LOL good one

I have the Pocket Wizzard iii and don't think the cable works with my spare Canon 500D cannot see an input is that why you guys looking at 20D as the most cost effective option?

I think a lot use TV but if I remember earlier some suggestions have been made for settings.

Also is it best to use Aperture Priority, Tv or Manual. ?
Might depend on available light. At the end of last season I was using AV, f/6.3 to control DoF, set ISO to get me shutter around 1/400 - 1/800 and I was happy with that. Last saturday I was shooting in AV too, ISO 3200, f/5.6 and shutter very quickly dropped to 1/250, even before half time... Non league game with crappy flood light though. For winter games I'll stick to TV, even if the camera will have to set f/2.8

okay guys, has anyone shot remotes recently, I mean, in november at 3pm games? Could you make a list of what settings ( ISO, shutter, f/stop, exposure compensation ) were you getting in the first half / second half and at what grounds? I’m curious how much light for remotes are there at Prem, Champ, League 1 and 2 grounds.

I was shooting at ISO 1250 F/4 1/800 on a Canon 1D2N and they were under exposed. It's just the 1D2N struggles at those kind of ISOs.

Having said that maybe I'll try 1600 and 1/640 next time and see. No game this weekend though as off to a wedding.

What camera and lens do you have for behind the goal Gregory?

I was shooting at ISO 1250 F/4 1/800 on a Canon 1D2N and they were under exposed. It's just the 1D2N struggles at those kind of ISOs.

Having said that maybe I'll try 1600 and 1/640 next time and see. No game this weekend though as off to a wedding.

What camera and lens do you have for behind the goal Gregory?
Wouldn't mind shooting remotes with these settings. What ground was it Robin? Hard for me to get shutter 1/800 all first half at my non league ground 3pm KO, maybe at other game which is 2pm KO.

A few times I used 2x Canon 20D's + Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 and kit lens 18-55. But I've moved to Nikon, Canons will be sold soon. Now for remotes and other wide angle stuff I have a Nikon D300 + Tokina 11-16. Yes I know, expensive, but insured. Also have same Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 but for Nikon - that's quite cheap.

Last saturday D300 struggled even at ISO 3200, but a non league ground. Asking for a list of grounds / settings just to compare things and check if D300 with it's top ISO 3200 and hardly usable High ISO 6400 will be enough. I'm considering Nikon D7000 instead D300, mainly for better ISO and more pixels.

Gregory - that is at Millwall and Charlton where the light is not bad at all.

Gregory I have just looked back and the shots at 1/640, F/4 and ISO 1600 were much better. They are on page 2 but show as links. I have asked if they can be fixed.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin, good to see some night shots and yes, looks like the light there is not bad. Photos could be a bit brighter, but no point to sacrifice shutter or f-stop. I had a Mark IIN so I know you wouldn't like to use higher ISO...

Anybody else has some settings from recent games to share?

Tobers did a write up on his OM-D (if I remember correctly) that has great FPS and much better high ISO capabilities than a MKIIN.

Hi guys found it tough at the amex last night BHA v Barnsley my first time with remotes. Canon 7D with Sigma 10-22 and iii's - Out of focus and exposure poor. I used Manual and Manual Focus with 500th Shutter around f6 and ISO 5000 (not ideal I know) - in fact rubbish - any tips be really useful. I guess day games lot easier using Shutter Priority.?

You need to go back and look at the settings suggested much earlier in the thread.

Cant seem to see settings for night games specifically but correct me if I am wrong thanks

Barca - this is the one that was linked on page 3 I think.

ISO 1600, 1/640, F/4. The 1DIIN is is very noisy at ISO 1600, so you should be able to get a much better images with a much newer camera.

Once it gets dark, unless you have a something that can do high ISOs, then you aren't going to be able to shoot at F/6 and get a fast enough shutter speed.
I see your 10-22 is an F/4-F/5.6, so I would try TV at 1/640, F/5.6 and auto ISO and see how you get on. If fine then try 1/800.

Oh and let us know how you get on.

http://josephmeredith.photoshelter....lyo.2BTrDMA/I00005N09p3BteqU/C0000i2Nl5V.VXKA

Last edited:
Rob I also have a Canon 17-55 f2.8 will this be better for both day and floodlit matches ? - I know not as wide and Im using 1.6 crop factor with 7D!!

Yes that is the one I would go with on a 1.6x.

You can put the camera to one side of the net so that you can get both posts in or even miss a bit off. Obviously you can lose out but hey ho, I would still go with that lens.

Saw this pop up on twitter last night, and it got a mention on MOTD. The pundits saying 'oh its a nice gesture of Livermoore to say he'll pay for the camera.....'

DAMN STRAIGHT! Or I'd be screaming criminal damage!

Ok I tried this yesterday. I set the camera on Manual at F4, 1/800 and ISO 1250 and manual focus.

Camera is a Canon 1D2N, Lens was 24-105/4.

Next time I will set it at Shutter Priority at 1/640, ISO at 1600 and let the F stop do whatever it wants.

I had a great sequence from the Charlton vs Sheffield Wednesday game last night (Connor Wickham tapping in from an off-side position) but no photos that I can show. I only submitted one. If it goes in my gallery from the game I will provide a link. I was going to do it for the Boxing Day match as it was an early kick-off but forgot the lens !!!

I think the chance of getting anything used will be quite 'remote' pun intended ;)

Any thoughts?

p500480590-3.jpg

p139233663-3.jpg

p568531990-3.jpg

n.b. was he off-side?

As I understand it providing a link is okay as the forum is not hosting the photo.

Haha the pitch is in a bad way. Got a pitch inspection tomorrow at 11 prior to Saturday's FA cup match. I don't hold out much hope for it :LOL:

The new gantry at Selhurst is a good place to stick a high-angle remote.

I like the view, but agree it needs a super awesome piece of action to help it.

I am so so so so so (did I say so enough??). Yesterday I had it set up at Millwall. Had it at the far end and was using it with the 400. At half time I moved to that end and turned off the PWIII to switch it to the 70-200.

It helps to turn it on again !!!!!

I would have had some great shots :help:

Haha the pitch is in a bad way. Got a pitch inspection tomorrow at 11 prior to Saturday's FA cup match. I don't hold out much hope for it :LOL:

Yes I saw that. I can't see it being on, especially with rain forecast for tomorrow and Sat.

Pitch at The Den yesterday was in really good condition.

I have a set of Yougnuo that I have used from time to time but I'm finding the reliability a problem. Are Pocket Wizards the only other option for guaranteed reliability when shooting wireless?

Rob, what are you using at Charlton?

Rob

I have 2 sets of triggers. The PWIIIs and also Phottix Strato II Multi http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phottix-Strato-Trigger-Set-Canon/dp/B0056MPVZ6

If you don't need a foot pedal and want a cheapish way in, I would get the Phottix's.

If you were at the game tomorrow I could lend you the Phottix's. I tried them over distance at Millwall and they worked from one end of the pitch to the other.

I haven't heard of the Phottix one's but certainly something to look into. Yougnuo one's for remote triggering off the hot shoe (non-flash) are very hit or miss and I can't really trust them. Need something that I will know will fire virtually every time.

Well I finally got a photo published (teeny weeny itsy bitsy size) in The Sun today (page 20 of the Goals if you have a copy). See the set-up above where the camera is high up. I am using a 70-200/4 now.

The Canon MkIIN is just not up to it under floodlights but now that we are getting all daylight games I am trying it out again.

As Tobers mentioned earlier it is so hit an miss with the cameras behind the goal. You see a lot of pics from Prem games but very very few from Championship games.

For the investment it's not really worth it.

1DIIN = £425
70-200/4 = £150 (got it cheap from my brother)
Trigger = £90
Clamp = £50 (eBay)
Card = £30

Total = £745

Oh and then add depreciation in and the extra weight to carry all that for an old man like me...

Back