Bempton Birds

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Worth the trip, even if it was about the only place in the UK that was cloudy!

Gannet - coming in to land
5604299062_5f192edce2_o.jpg

Gannets - greeting each other, as they do
5611348040_71a61b98ed_o.jpg

Puffin - taking a look at the drop below!
5611399040_07246c4d52_o.jpg

Minor crops all of them, taken with a Canon 50D, 500mm F4 and the 1.4TC on a couple.

I do like Bempton, but the drive is soooo long, well, it is for a day trip. Sun came out eventually, and I now have a rather red head :LOL:

its only when i look at photos like this that i realise how many places there are to take photos that aren't too far away

Cracking images. Will be visiting there in May. Hope my 400mm will be long enough!

Regards,

John

Should be fine, and certainly easier to wield around after anything flying. I took off my TC and used just 500mm for the approach shots. If you walk up and down the full length of the cliffs, you ought to find birds perched well within range of 400mm too.

Thank all - I agree about the blown highlights - sun made it tricky later. But the sea looks all grey when cloudy, so swings and roundabouts...

Three crackers Pete, hard to choose between them as they all are great but I think #2 is my favourite - wonderful capture.

Three great images Pete, I'll go for the second as well. Did you see many Puffins, or is it looking like a poor year for them again, and what about the other Auks.

great images. i am going there later in the year. looking forward to it now i have seen your images.

Three cracking images Pete. All this recent talk of Bempton makes me wonder why I can't get off my arse and make the trip. I keep meaning to. It's an even longer drive (obviously) from London, so I guess it's a trip out when staying with my daughter in Lancs. I presume there are better and worse times to go (particularly for Puffins)?

Thanks all :)

Puffins - they were checking out burrows and mooching around when I was there, so there should be more coming in over the next few weeks. They stay through the summer and then head out to sea during August I think.

There were also guillemots, kittiwakes, fulmars, various gulls, corvids (mainly jackdaws) and razorbills, plus tree sparrows, pipits, skylarks and corn buntings in the fields behind the cliff-top path.

Best to get there early, as the sun goes off the cliffs in the afternoon.

Three great shots Pete, especially like the Gannets, such a good looking bird and so sleek, the puffin is excellent too. Well done (y)

Cracking set again Pete. (y) Having seen a fair few photos coming out of Bempton recently might head up that way over the next bank holiday even thought it could be busy if the weather is clear. Don't want to wait until June when we've a few days booked around the area.

Di

Back