Best £100 holiday point and shoot?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,
I am off to Croatia for a few days next week and don't fancy taking my D5100 as I am going with the lads and probably not staying in the nicest of hotels.

Just after a good quality point and shoot for the beach/nights out etc.

I want to spend around £100-£120 and don't mind if it's decent quality second hand or new.

No real requirements other than simplicity and image quality.

Looking at the Nikon S8200 or the Canon IXUS 240 or something like that but open to offers RE Sony and Panasonic etc.

Thank you in advance :)

Ben

You could do worse than a Canon Powershot SX2x0, you should probably be able to grab an SX230 for that money, ish. Got an SX220 for Father-in-law to use on his travels, and I was frankly gobsmacked at the quality of the images he brought back. He's a point n shooter all the way too, no photography experience. Also Canon generally have much simpler/more intuitive menus and controls than Nikon (in P & S that is, completely the opposite with their DSLR's!)

Jessops and Argos used to be good at discounting these models, last time I checked Argos had very limited stock of 220's for £99.

for that price point i would just use your camera phone as it is good enough and sometimes better then a £100 point and shoot

for that price point i would just use your camera phone as it is good enough and sometimes better then a £100 point and shoot
I'm going to utterly disagree with this if there's no evidence beyond an opinion :)

I have an iPhone 4 with a Lifeproof case which adds some hefty coating over the lens rendering my camera abilities fairly useless... I would rather my phone be waterproof and shockproof etc than a good camera! In all honesty I don't think there is much in it RE the cameras but I shall go and have a play in Currys tomorrow!

I think the main problem with phone cameras is that they are quite fiddly to actually use. Even a cheap point and shoot is generally going to be more user friendly than fiddling around with a phone.

Canon sx230 is going for about £100 at currys/pcworld. Absolute bargain and TAKES A HUGE DUMP on camera phones.

Because I wanted to know if anyone has a personal preference that's all? I know there won't be much in it whatever I buy but I would like one that's highly recommended

Mines as good as a point and shoot. HTC One X I have and my wife has a iPhone 5 which is even better
Can I ask which point and shoots you have specifically compared with? Obviously in terms of high ISO performance, optical zoom range, lens speed, dynamic range, controls, image stabilisation etc.... I'd be especially interested to see how your results compare with the specific camera I mentioned, the Canon SX220? Thanks!

Mines as good as a point and shoot. HTC One X I have and my wife has a iPhone 5 which is even better

Yep the zoom is fantastic on them lol. Phones are good because they're so handy but the reality is, they're crap at the minute

Can I ask which point and shoots you have specifically compared with? Obviously in terms of high ISO performance, optical zoom range, lens speed, dynamic range, controls, image stabilisation etc.... I'd be especially interested to see how your results compare with the specific camera I mentioned, the Canon SX220? Thanks!

Think that is the point and shoot i have. One of those sx ones anyway

Nikon j1 & 10-30mm lens?

Got one in the classifieds at £160 ;)

Seriously though, the 1 series don't get enough praise. The autofocus is blisteringly fast, image quality is superb and its small. Not quite rx100 pocketable small but not very far off

pick up a used sony TX5. Tough as boots [waterproof, drop proof, doesn't mind humidity or temperature drops] and it has all the usual Sony trickery [HDR, DRO, sweep panorama, multishot low-light modes including handheld twilight and anti-motion blur].

If you're lucky you'll pick one up for around the £100 mark. No case required and smaller than an iPhone.

I'd love to read more details about your findings please? In detail, not just single sentence superlatives...

what detail?

what do you want to know? The IQ is no better then a smartphone and the responsiveness also no better then a smartphone.

Smartphone being a high end device like a iphone 5/Samsung S3/S4 device.

difference is marginal between a point and shoot and a high end smarphone.

Get a DSLR if you want to see and fee a difference.

Can you please post your sample images? I'd hate to think you were just pontificating opinion without proof...

For what it's worth, I've owned umpteen camera phones (yes, including those allegedly high end models...), a good number of compacts including an X10 and XZ1 currently, and SURPRISE! some DSLRs.

The argument that a camera phone can match a decent compact is so flawed and ill - informed I'm amazed it's made it onto a forum such as this. I remember years ago when the Nokia N95 came out (and Nokia did make the greatest phone cameras...) there was a comparison of it against a D40, which no doubt amazed people. But every shot was outdoors. In decent light. With no contrast. Pointless :)

Can you please post your sample images? I'd hate to think you were just pontificating opinion without proof...

For what it's worth, I've owned umpteen camera phones (yes, including those allegedly high end models...), a good number of compacts including an X10 and XZ1 currently, and SURPRISE! some DSLRs.

The argument that a camera phone can match a decent compact is so flawed and ill - informed I'm amazed it's made it onto a forum such as this. I remember years ago when the Nokia N95 came out (and Nokia did make the greatest phone cameras...) there was a comparison of it against a D40, which no doubt amazed people. But every shot was outdoors. In decent light. With no contrast. Pointless :)
Mate we are talking about cheap point and shoots less then 100

I've recommended it a few times on here but for me...

It'll be a 2006 Olympus sp-350.

Pluses:
Sharp lens.
Full manual and p a s m
RAW shooting.
Feels good.
Hot shoe.
£60 on eBay.

Negatives
Battery life is poor.
Accepts xd cards.
ISO only to 400.

This was my first camera and I still have and love it :)

Failing that... I personally would be more than happy with the camera on my phone (galaxy S3). Don't know why others are bad mouthing them for - I could show some crackers that I would rate highly in my collection...

Last edited:
Back