Best 50mm for a Nikon FX DLSR

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Looking for gift ideas for a friend's partner, he's got a D700 and wants a 50mm lens for it?

I'm completely out of the loop on gear so what do people recommend?

I've read there's a Sigma 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 that's supposed to be very good for around £450

Thanks

It really depends what you are looking for in a lens.....

I shot Nikon and personally, I love the 50mm 1.4 D. There's something about the way the lens renders that for me, I absolutely love it. I didn't gel with the 50 1.8 and imo, the Sigma ART is too big / heavy for my liking.

There are zeiss options too, some of which are very expensive.

Hi,

Looking for gift ideas for a friend's partner, he's got a D700 and wants a 50mm lens for it?

I'm completely out of the loop on gear so what do people recommend?

I've read there's a Sigma 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 that's supposed to be very good for around £450

Thanks
Do you want the best, as the thread title suggests, or the best for £450, as in your post? How do you know what's best for the recipient? Personally, I would write a check and let him choose for himself. (Or herself,)

Last edited:
Sigma and Voightlander offer fine lenses for the money. If image quality is the bottom line, Zeiss Otis wins hands down.

Of course if he switched to a Z camera he could buy the 50mm 1.8S which is near Otus quality.

Grey https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3821/nikon_nikkor_z_50mm_f/1.8_s_lens (£379!)

It really depends what you are looking for in a lens.....

I shot Nikon and personally, I love the 50mm 1.4 D. There's something about the way the lens renders that for me, I absolutely love it. I didn't gel with the 50 1.8 and imo, the Sigma ART is too big / heavy for my liking.

There are zeiss options too, some of which are very expensive.

I also have the Nikon 50mm1.4 D lens and find it a great little lens, compact and lightweight and like "toohuge" I also prefer it to the 1.8 D lens and would also find the Sigma ART lens too big and heavy for me..
I'm not sure if the Nikon 50mm 1.4D lens is still available new although there will be excellent used ones for around £200 or maybe less.

The Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-S G lens is a more modern version and can be bought for around £380

Last edited:
If IQ was the bottom line price wouldn't matter, would it?

Possibly not but the op has a stated budget.

When I had DSLR's I thought I'd never need a better lens than the Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM but much later when I had got a Sony 55mm f1.8 I realised it was on a completely different level to the old Sigma. I've since bought a Voigtlander 50mm f2 APO and I think it's better than anything I've ever used and in fact just about perfect but it does lack AF.

Money being no object I don't think I'd want an Otis as it's a big fat lump and I like more compact kit :D

Nikkor 50mm 1.4G - within price.

I hesitate to buy Sigma now, especially when firmware updates render the lens inoperable.

There's a well priced old 50mm f/1.8 in the classifieds at the moment. I've been advised twice, by different salesmen, to keep mine rather than trade it in against a new f/1.4 version.

Back