Best bag for body with 70-200 attached + 3 more lenses?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Since I got the 70-200, it's getting to be a bit of a squeeze in my Vanguard up-rise 45.

I bought a Think tank airport take off roller case, that fits everything. But I'm using it more as a feeder bag, and will take it on trips or if I was doing a big shoot. But I want a walk/cycle about bag, for daily shooting, where I can fit the body, with 70-200 attached, 24-70, 105mm and 50mm, plus a couple of flashes ... without it being bulky or overly large! I'll be on a mountain bike, so it's got to be comfortable. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the think tank range, they have some nice bags, but so many variations. It can't be too small, or too large. Just enough to fit the above comfortably, with quick access to the camera.

I love my kata 3n1 30... I spent a long time looking for a similar spec bag

LIKE the slingshot range but with two straps
Could carry 1ds & 70-200 fitted
Plus 24-70, fisheye, 17-35, 100mm macro, 50mm, two flashes and triggers

The kata is where I ended up and I do not regret it in the slightest at all!!

Loads of comfy carry options and can be accessed any which way and very fast!

NB I road bike and would probably wear it with the x-strap configuration (genius) but wouldn't want to see inside after a spill!!!!

Looks a nice bag, I'll add it to the list. It doesn't look much roomier than my current vanguard though. Which was fine when I had the D90 with 80-200 attached, the macro and tamron 17-50. It fits my current gear, just, but it's kind of bulging a bit at the sides and bottom. The 2 main lenses are just hogs!

Anyone use think tank retros? I also came across their city walker range, but they don't have these on amazon.

I love it, mine generally has:

1ds mkii with 24-70 2.8 fitted
70-200 f2.8
100mm macro
Nifty fifty
Two 1d batteries
1.4x and 2.0x
Lens baby

All in the bottom... Loads of space!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, nut I've been looking up many bags tonight, so many! I think I'm homing in on the Think tank retrospective types, or the sling-O-matic - if anyone has experience using these models? Retrospective 30 or sling o matic 20/30?

[edit] Think I'll go with the Think Tank Sling-o-Matic 20 or 30, just found out a local store has them cheaper than amazon! That's a first in my experience. A good few euro cheaper too :)

Last edited:
Retrospective 30 would do the job.
I carry a d700 with 70-200, d300 with 16-35, plus a 85mm 1.4, sb900, black rapid strap, rocket blower, lee 10 filter pouch, and there is still room for more.

Probably too late to change your mind, but FWIW I've used a Lowepro Fastpack 350 for a few years now.

It's a comfy well-priced backpack (around £50 or so, maybe less) - doesn't scream "expensive cameras inside, please mug me" - it has an easy-access bottom compartment in which I keep 5DMk2 with attached 70-200mm lens, and a 16-35mm and 24-70mm and there's room for my Sekonic lighmeter in there as well. Well padded compartment with flexibility to move the padded dividers to customise your space.

In the separate reasonable sized top section, I keep a drink if necessary, plus a flashgun or two, a grey card and Color Checker Passport, together with spare batteries, lens brush, spare CF cards (there are special pockets for these), pen, 1.4x Extender, sometimes my 50mm f1.4 and all sorts of little useful bits, cables, wires, chargers, etc etc.

I've really crammed some stuff in there on many occasions and the zips have stood up wonderfully to some serious stress. Very impressed with the manufacturing quality.

In the front pocket I keep other interesting small items (my passport and airline tickets if I'm taking it as hand luggage) and other stuff. It struggles to fit in small aircraft overhead lockers (or more precisely, when it's fully laden, I struggle to lift it up there!) but it does fit easily underneath the seat.

In the shallow pocket in front of the bag, I keep a black bin liner to kneel on wet ground or whatever if the circumstances dictate, and a shower cap for the camera in the rain (until I get a 1DX of course!) and a spare credit card and some coins and other flat items.

There is also a separate external mesh pocket in which you can put a Coke bottle or maps (on a dry day) or whatever.

It's not easy to get a tripod attached as there are no dedicated straps as such, but it is possible in a couple of different inelegant ways.

Finally, it has a separate compartment for my 17" MacBookPro laptop. That makes it a bit of a heavy brute, but it's handy to transport and keep them with you when you need to, but you'd leave the laptop at home if you were fell walking or whatever.

It's comfortable to wear - two normal fully adjustable shoulder straps and it has adjustable hip straps too (which I've never used, although I've tried them and they are certainly comfy) - and has been very hardwearing. It's had some stick. I can't fault it to be honest. It would be nice if it was fully waterproof I guess, but it isn't ... it's certainly shower proof - I've never had any water ingress - but I wouldn't like to be out in any downpour for any length of time with my cameras and laptop in there. You can apparently get separate waterproof covers for it if you want - I've never bothered. You could also use a pedal bin liner inside the top compartment too, if you wanted to be uber-careful in protecting the contents, but I haven't done that either, nor needed to in the last 3 or 4 years I've used it.

It does all I've ever needed, and as you can tell, maybe just a little more besides!

Here's a typical link ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Fas...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350026444&sr=1-2

Think Tank Shape Shifter is right up your alley !

In mine: 2 x D3s + 3 lenses: 14 - 200 mm + Laptop + lots of free space.

A 400 2.8 will fit vertically inside the main compartment. If I pack carefully I can get 4 lenses and 2 bodies "somewhere" inside the bag.

Most backpacks are a PITA because of the amount that they stick-out behind you. This bag bag has a zip that reduces its depth when I take items out to start shooting.

I never leave lenses attached to bodies in this bag.

All that kit is heavy, so unless I have to keep it on me I prefer to use a Lowepro Magnum 650 or a Peli Storm case.

Ah, I jumped on the price of the Sling-o-matic last night as they had limited stock for the price. It was down to that and the retro-30. I'll see how it goes, if I don't get on with it I'll sell it on and get the Retro-30. A lot of reviews I looked at suggested the Retro-30 didn't fit the 70-200 attached, I guess they were wrong!

mrjinxx, I actually considered that bag before buying my Vanguard. But I think I want away from back-pack style bags for a bit. Though the one I chose is a bit of a cross-over. I prefer to have one strap, I never use both, always end up using one over one shoulder.

I have fallen for Think tank since I got the roller bag. It's just so well made, and they really do think of everything. I keep finding new little pockets. No doubt I'll buy more in future.

Last edited:
Too late for you now, but maybe others wanting a similar kind of out and about action bag, take a look at the Think Tank Speed Freak.

The key to it is the shoulder-cum-waist pack design. It's very secure when you use the two straps together, especially biking or hiking, and the waist straps tuck away inside the back padding. It also opens outwards for easy access. Comes in three sizes.

I've reviewed a few dozen bags recently for Digital SLR Photography magazine and it won Best Buy in its price category.

That Think Tank Shape Shifter looks the absolute nuts! Not seen it before. Love the YouTube reviews.

Too late for you now, but maybe others wanting a similar kind of out and about action bag, take a look at the Think Tank Speed Freak.

The key to it is the shoulder-cum-waist pack design. It's very secure when you use the two straps together, especially biking or hiking, and the waist straps tuck away inside the back padding. It also opens outwards for easy access. Comes in three sizes.

I've reviewed a few dozen bags recently for Digital SLR Photography magazine and it won Best Buy in its price category.

Looked at this one also, they have so many good bags. Very hard to decide. I had to just pick one and go with, or I'd have spend all day today again checking video reviews :D

Ah,0. A lot of reviews I looked at suggested the Retro-30 didn't fit the 70-200 attached, I guess they were wrong!

Very much so!

Just this minute packed my bag for the wedding tomorrow.
It contains...

D700 with Nikon 16-35 F/4VR attached
D300 with Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 attached.
In the middle under the dual harness strap is my sigma 85mm f/1.4 and MBD10 battery grip
On the side is my Sb900.
In the back pocket is a blackrapid RS Sport strap
In the front pocket is my Fuji X100 IN it own lowepro bag.
The other front pocket is a 75Cl bottle, plus sweets.
In the inside pocket is an EN-EL4 battery and a EN-EL3e battery, plus a 4 capacity memory card protective case, 3 compact flash cards in plastic cases, a tripod plate, a pen, a lenspen, a notepad, a spare NP-95 battery for the X100, a Polariser in a case and a spare packet of 4 Eneloops and 4 Duracell batteries....

There are still some gaps to fill too.

Crappy phone pics

Untitled by TCR4x4, on Flickr

And it still shuts! Almost...

Back