Best Bang for Buck - Full Frame Video Conferencing

JohnBradbury

A jolly good egg!
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to put together an over the top multi camera video conferencing setup. This will cover general video conferencing calls and also a specific setup for presentations and training.

Ideally I'd go with two Canon R5s but that is pushing my budget (2k per body).

What would you recommend?

What are the features you are looking for and isn't an R5 a lot more than £2k.

Yeah, the R5 is considerably more, and out of the budget. I'm looking for alternative recommendations for around 2k per body.

1080 / 4k recording options
clean hdmi out
Very good autofocus

The original Nikon z6 will give you all of those options and you can get 2 for £2k. They will only shoot up to 30fps without an APSc crop.

R5 is way over the top for full frame video conferencing only. R or dedicated video or cinema cameras would likely be better.

How long are you expecting the calls to last? I have heard that some DSLRs etc. might shut down with prolonged use due to the sensor getting too hot. Also you will need to be able to power it externally.

How long are you expecting the calls to last? I have heard that some DSLRs etc. might shut down with prolonged use due to the sensor getting too hot. Also you will need to be able to power it externally.
I do use R5s for filming and living stream as well as photos. Recording HD to an external recorder there is no heat issue. I’ve only had the heat warning with 4K 50fps after about 90 minutes.

I'm going to be using the Atem Mini Extreme ISO so the Blackmagic Pocket 6k Pro looks interesting, but its not fullframe!

Last edited:
You can pick up a second hand panasonic s1
for around £1200 from e-bay, I don't know of a better full frame mirrorless camera for the money.
The sony A7r3 is another excellent camera in your budget.

You could pick up a couple of Panasonic S5's with lenses and extras for just over 3k
The S5 is a great camera, but it's achilles heal is its micro hdmi port, if your using a camera for video conferences, you really don't want to be trusting a micro hdmi output port.

The S5 is a great camera, but it's achilles heal is its micro hdmi port, if your using a camera for video conferences, you really don't want to be trusting a micro hdmi output port.
While this is very true, I've been using my T3 on Zoom for nigh on two years and it hasn't broken during this time, with regular plugging in and out BUT it had broke in the past when I was very rarely using the port and barely touched it :confused:

Have you considered the Sigma fp? Seems to meet the list you outlined. I have one and I rather like it. I have used it on zoom etc but not in quite the way you plan but it worked fine for me.

Back