Best bridge/compact

Name
Dave Peacock
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Im looking to buy a bridge camera.
Looking for the best currently on the market and see so many different types.

From what i can gather the Lumix dmc-fz200 is the best one?
Seems to be the same as the leica v-lux4 ?

Id like to be able to use triggers with the camera as well which im hoping is possible as it has a hotshoe? :)

Last edited:
Hi, can't offer advice on the camera you've mentioned. But there was a thread on something like this a little while ago, in which those that know said the difference between a Panasonic and Leica was a red dot and about £200.
Hope that helps.

For birds and distance you will find the Canon SX50 bridge pretty hard to beat. My daughter has one and it has really impressed me IQ wise.

The Canon is very good indeed, and image quality excellent. The Panny is a nice camera, but I've seen reports of soft images with that lens.

I recently sold a Fuji HS30, and the current HS50 is also supposed to have decent IQ. An advantage of the Fuji over the canon for still photography is that the zoom is manual and much more controllable than an electronic zoom. It is also possible to manually focus by turning a ring on the Fuji, rather than using up/down buttons on the Canon.

If you want a better image quality bridge camera than the above compacts without spending so much on the RX then have a look at the Fuji X-S1. This has the larger Fuji X series sensor, with a 24-600mm equivalent zoom. Cost new around £430 on Amazon.

Back