best buy sensor cleaning swabs...

Edit My Images
Yes
my d40 is driving me crazy:wacky:
I chickened out of cleaning it so took it to a shop...£40 later it was clean.
1 week later it had stuff on the mirror...so i took it back..2 weeks (and about 40 shots :( ) later, loads of flecks showing up on the sensor.. now it looks like its going to be a regular thing so I'm going to get some swabs. Don't see the virtue in blowing any dust in there around with a blower so anyone know any good place to get some at a reasonable price?
appreciated
Alex

two weeks after the shop clean

Last edited:
I think the best sensor cleaning kit is the arctic butterfly which is pretty expensive, but with a nikon it is worth the investment, after doing that check out the last weeks amateur photographer which has some very handy sticky pad things that stick onto the back lens and body caps, to collect any dust floating around.

Third the arctic butterfly system, with the lens cleaning solution and 1.5x sensor cleaning swabs.

IIRC, they do a complete kit including sensor loupe, swabs and solution and works out a bit cheaper than buying all seperately.

Does exactly what I want it to do and was my first buy and only buy so far (y)

I use a 5D and it drives me nuts, 'Arctic Flutterby' does the trick!
Swabs with cleaning fluid as a last resort now and again.
Used a squeeze blower, now my viewfinder needs a degunge!
Like looking through a snowstorm!
Hoover suction tube held steady, seems to do the trick for me now.
Jim

Seems to be lots of votes for 'Arctic Flutterby', I feel vindicated in my purchase!

Anyone recommend the best (cheapest!) place to get them?
(Arctic Butterfly that is!!)

If your looking just for the brush here at fotosense seems the best deal, at least that I could find.

Steve

Cheers Steve.
Not too bad a price.....

Would it be worth investing a bit more for the 724 model?

Maybe from what I can see the 724 spins faster and charges the brush faster with interchangeble brushes but the SL700 should do the job.

You pays your money and takes your choice :)

Steve

I've just bought a 'Wet kit' from here as no amount of blowing or brushing with my artic butterfly will shift the crap i've currently got on my sensor:shake:

Maybe from what I can see the 724 spins faster and charges the brush faster with interchangeble brushes but the SL700 should do the job.

You pays your money and takes your choice :)

Steve

Cheers Steve.
I may have to invest in one soon ;)

Tried wet cleaning. Never been successful with it. I seem to just make things worse :nuts:

I've just bought a 'Wet kit' from here as no amount of blowing or brushing with my artic butterfly will shift the crap i've currently got on my sensor:shake:

I use that one too. Does a great job if used correctly.

Come on then spill the beans - I've not used a 'Wet' system before so any pointers would be appreciated (y)

Well you get instructions with it so dunno what I can add. I suppose the 'use it correctly' part is about exactly following the instructions and not re-using once they've been used and dried out. It's tempting as they are not cheap. I have cleaned two camera bodies with a single go but I suspect if you use a dirty swab and re-wet it with more fluid then could cause problems leaving streaks, goo and such. You just wet the swab as directed and do one full clean left to right and then wet the opposite side and then clean the opposite way fully corner to corner. Like I say, no problems ... my main use is in very dusty conditions on safari where I'll clean maybe 3-4 times over a trip.

Back