Best f2.8 lens for equine photography

Hold on a minute, you were the one saying that Canon only has one focus point it can use at apertures smaller than f2.8...I was merely commenting that his camera doesn't have such limitations...Before you brought that into the conversation I wasn't even aware of such limitations...

Some Canons have sensors which have an automatic super-sensative mode when used with an f/2.8 lens. With a slower lens its a regular sensor.

smiff3100 said:
neil i would love the sigma lens but its just a bit to much for me at the moment,i might try and rent one for a week early next year

dejongj thats a nice pic,nice and clear,and i read my post again it should have said 70mm not 700mm but i guess u figured that out

i have the 55-200mm and i do like it,but it doesn't seem to zoom that close from a distance,i was hoping it would zoom much closer

We both have what nikon calls dx sensors, so they are the same size. You also have 135mm within your range so there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to zoom in like that. I was outside the school barriers.

I haven't seen any examples from you, but have a go with shooting in aperture priority, bring down to the lowest number. That way the zoom will automatically adjust. Up your iso to keep your shutter speed at about 2x your focal length. So say at least 1/400. And have a go again.

The combination you have should be sufficient if you can get to the sides of the school. If you are further away then yes you need more reach.

Oh nice, so now I am the one wanting an argument? Jeez, this site is getting worse and worse. I was genuinly surprised and learned and read more about it and became even more surprised.

No I didn't take it as inoperable on most lenses. Just that as a crosshair it was. But then again it is still rather surprising that even on the single crosshair focal point you need to have f4 or more...In practise many lenses do of course so it shouldn't be much of an issue, but just one crosshair autofocus point:thinking:

You should read the whole of that before you question it on that level; Jeez - talk about going off half cocked:LOL:

If you can't be bothered to read it properly, cease from commenting because it's really not helpful. (clue - that autofocus system is a lot more complex than it looks) - and going back to the age of that original design, that's back in the day when Canon beat Nikon AF by miles(y)

This thread has been reported by people feeling sorry for the OP because this thread has gone off topic and turned into a minor battle.

Can we please get back to the OP's request with any new posts.

nothing wrong with a technical discussion but start a new thread in equipment if you want to continue it please.

Id defo say check out the 70-200mm :) Ive got both the canon an nikon version both sublime

cope amazing with anything from wildlife to 205mph superbikes :D

treeman what make is s/h??i have looked at the sigma,and also nikons make,they are pretty expensive,might be able to get a cheaper one second hand from ebay.

s/h = secondhand :)

smiff3100 said:
Thanks admirable kinda obvious now lol i have my eye on this at moment on ebay,not sure if it the right one for my d3100,i did ask the guy but he doesn't know either

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300837719242

Sorry but that is no good for you. You need lenses with built in motor in order to autofocus.

Nikon lenses will be called AF-s opposed to AF-d. And for sigma you will need an HSM designated lens.

Thanks for the replies

can i use it on manual focus?the reason i ask is when i go to equine events recently i have started to use manual focus.Iread somewhere that because you are concentrating on one specific target e.g the jump,you know where the action will be,so set ur focus to manual,focus the area,and wait for the horse to come into view,then snap,and it does seem to work.

smiff3100 said:
Thanks for the replies

can i use it on manual focus?the reason i ask is when i go to equine events recently i have started to use manual focus.Iread somewhere that because you are concentrating on one specific target e.g the jump,you know where the action will be,so set ur focus to manual,focus the area,and wait for the horse to come into view,then snap,and it does seem to work.

Of course, but I'd still get one that can autofocus as well, as least you have the option.

i would prefer to get one with autofocus but they are rather expoensive,and i think maybe this one would help me with my manual focusing

smiff3100 said:
i would prefer to get one with autofocus but they are rather expoensive,and i think maybe this one would help me with my manual focusing

They don't have to be. My sigma was £350. Seems silly limiting yourself to manual focus on a lens like that, when you could spend the same and get autofocus too.
I've seen many sigma for £400 or less.

smiff3100 said:
Thanks for the replies

That's what we used to do in the MF days, but good AF technique and my keeper rate is massively better. The difference between one chance at a shot and 4 or 5 chances isn't to be scoffed at.

I'm with the others, get an af one. But when going sigma buy where you can try, or run the potential of having to pass it on or in the best case spent more to get it calibrated. Quality differs a lot, I had a sharp one, worked great with the d70 but wouldn't with the d7000 at all. Sigma customer service were great but confirmed in writing that they can no longer update the chips for the newer (I class your 3100 similar age to me 7000) Nikon bodies. So be wary, buy where you can try.

Manual focus can work well, I've done that at several events. But af is some much more convenient.

Hi smiff3100, you mentioned 200mm was not zoomed in enough for you, so my suggestion to you is the Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR which you could pick up S/H for reasonable price.

300mm 2.8 glass will be way out of your price range but the VR in above lens will help in low light at lower cost and give extra reach.

Hi smiff3100, you mentioned 200mm was not zoomed in enough for you, so my suggestion to you is the Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR which you could pick up S/H for reasonable price.

300mm 2.8 glass will be way out of your price range but the VR in above lens will help in low light at lower cost and give extra reach.
He is shooting moving subjects, VR is no help at all to him.

Last edited:
That will be fine with the d3100, it hasn't got optical stabilisation, but will do well.

If you find that 200mm is too short, you could use a 1.4x teleconverter to make it into a 280mm f/4 (I think), I think the AF still works with the teleconverter.

smiff3100 said:
I didnt think VR had anything to do with low light,i could be wrong,but i would still have the same problem shooting with an 70-300mm as i would with my own 200mm lens when i am shooting indoor arenas

i dont know any places near me that i can try lenses

just found this on ebay is this one any good for my camera??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-70-200mm-f-2-8-APO-DG-HSM-Macro-For-Nikon-Free-UK-Special-Delivery-/110993111717?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item19d7b47aa5

Yes, that's the one I have. You might find it a little cheaper, but that isn't a bad price.

Dale_d3100 said:
That will be fine with the d3100, it hasn't got optical stabilisation, but will do well.

If you find that 200mm is too short, you could use a 1.4x teleconverter to make it into a 280mm f/4 (I think), I think the AF still works with the teleconverter.

Yes it does, I use a sigma 1.4 TC with the lens. Works fine, no loss of quality and minimal loss of AF speed.

TCR4x4 said:
Yes it does, I use a sigma 1.4 TC with the lens. Works fine, no loss of quality and minimal loss of AF speed.

How inch do you use the TC? I'm thinking of getting one, do you have it on a lot or just carry it in case?

So that is the lens i am looking for?that exact model,does it matter about optical stabilisation,i do have a monopod which i am assuming will help?I didnt think i could use teleconvertors with the d3100?

It is the lens that decides if you can use a teleconverter or not.

I have the lens with OS and love it, Not sure how much difference it makes at faster speeds and will make less difference on a monopod

I thought it was the camera body?doesn't the teleconvertor stick into the camera body

Dale_d3100 said:
How inch do you use the TC? I'm thinking of getting one, do you have it on a lot or just carry it in case?

Carry it just incase. I've used it in the garden to get some bird shots, and also at air shows. Just nice to have a little extra length there if you need it.

The d3100 should work fine with a TC as its the lens motor that drives focus. The TC has connections on either side so all data transfers between body and lens.

smiff3100 said:
So that is the lens i am looking for?that exact model,does it matter about optical stabilisation,i do have a monopod which i am assuming will help?I didnt think i could use teleconvertors with the d3100?

Yes that is the lens, or one of them anyway. You could pay double to get the OS version, but its not needed. A monopod will help, but you should be shooting fast enough that camera shake shouldn't be a problem. That's the point of a wide aperture lens. You might still need to raise the ISO but as long as you can get a shutter speed 1.5x faster than the focal length, shake won't be an issue, your problem will be getting a speed fast enough to freeze the motion of a horse.

Should I bother getting a TC as I also have the sigma 50-500mm?

Dale_d3100 said:

The 70-200 will do 280 at f/4, the 50-500 will be more around 300 at f/5.6 maybe?
Probably not worth it unless you do lots of low light stuff.

Dale I have the 1.4x and just picked up the 2x converters for my 70-200 I haven't had much chance to try the 2x due to the weather but it appears ok.

I also have a 50-500mm that I have tried the 1.4x on but you have to manual focus it which is ok for moon shots I have yet to try the 2x on the bigma but believe it will only manual focus to :thinking:

This thread has been reported by people feeling sorry for the OP because this thread has gone off topic and turned into a minor battle.

Can we please get back to the OP's request with any new posts.

nothing wrong with a technical discussion but start a new thread in equipment if you want to continue it please.

TBH, a technical discussion is exactly what the OP need to have, and comprehend

Someone has pointed out that technically on a long lens, f2.8 has a stupidly shallow DOF

Someone has then mentioned the merits if VR/IS

Someone has then discussed what focal length is actually needed (or not)

Then the FF/Crop thing was mentioned

The basic lens for XC and SJ would be a 70-200/2.8, although you can get away with an f/4 during the summer.

If money is a problem (and if you're baulking at £400 for a lens then I'm afraid it is), you'd be better off practicing technique with your current lens whilst saving for a decent one, rather than grab the cheapest alternative now.

Phil V said:
That's what we used to do in the MF days, but good AF technique and my keeper rate is massively better. The difference between one chance at a shot and 4 or 5 chances isn't to be scoffed at.

I'd agree. There's too much scope for the horse to be where you're not expecting for manual focus.

He is shooting moving subjects, VR is no help at all to him.

I was stating the Nikon 70-300 VR for his indoor shoots which will need much slower shutter speeds and is better than his current lens, as he can not afford 2.8 glass

The Sigma 70-200 2.8 is the best value lens if 200mm is enough for him.

Last edited:
WillieL said:
I was stating the Nikon 70-300 VR for his indoor shoots which will need much slower shutter speeds and is better than his current lens, as he can not afford 2.8 glass

The Sigma 70-200 2.8 is the best value lens if 200mm is enough for him.

At the risk of repeating what Frac said...VR would be useless, slower shutter speed or not.

If you're getting below 1/300-1/400th it's not worth taking the shot anyway.

You're basically advising someone to spend more money on a lens that will give them almost identical results as their current one.

I did know that the lens he suggested wouldn't be any use as its almost the same as the one I use just 100mm longer, I have googled it, I am looking into f2.8 glass as I type this

smiff3100 said:
I did know that the lens he suggested wouldn't be any use as its almost the same as the one I use just 100mm longer, I have googled it, I am looking into f2.8 glass as I type this

Seriously, just buy that sigma you linked to, you won't get better for the money.

Lol if I had 400 quid in the bank I would, I know the model I need will keep an eye out for one when I have the money

Back