Best Lenses For a Canon 400D?

OK. A good macro lens, I would recomend the Sigma 105mm F2.8. £383. A good walk about (sharp) lens Canon 24-105mm F4 £943 Landscapes Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 £379.

I have the 105mm and the 24-105 and love them.

Anything really, I just want to know what I need to be aiming for!

I mean people keep saying about the 50mm £80ish lens being good but theres one thats like £280 that looks to be better. I just wanted some decent lens suggestions really

Especially for Landscapes, Macro and Portraits

Well, you do get what you pay for.
There are (off the top of my head), three lenses from canon at 50mm.
f/1.8, f/1.4, and f/1.2
the f/1.8 is a good lens for messing around with. It can be sharp if used well (and a good copy). It can be used to great effect for landscape, and, there is at least one person on here who takes photos of robins with it.
The f/1.4 is around £200 more expensive. For those that like to do portraits, it is meant to be a worthwhile get.
The f/1.2 is around £1000 more again. Some reviews suggest that it really isn't worth it. However, if you need f/1.2, then it is worthwhile the spend.

There is an 800mm lens from Canon, this costs around £8k+ boy would I like to find one of those in my Christmas stocking! But to some people, they wouldn't want this lens (I like birdies).
I think that the 28-135 is a good walkabout lens. It covers the ranges I want. I rarely use my 18-55 kit any more, but I am not sure whether that is because I don't like the quality, or the range. I also have the 10-22mm which I use for landscapes, so I think it is a quality thing. The thing about the 10-22mm though, is that it is ef-s, so if you are thinking of going full-frame at some point, it will not work.
I would vote that the 28-135 would probably be a good compliment. It is a good lens (not a great lens, so if I win the lottery, I might upgrade), it was my second lens, then I went to 70-300 for the birdies.

If you want a landscape lens, then the 10-22mm at £400-£600 (used/new) is something to aim for
If you want a good walkabout lens, then the 28-135 is Ok, I believe it is ~£150-£300
If you want a great walkabout lens, then apparently the 24-105L is good. But it is L. If you want numbers to aim for, look at the L lenses on www.camerapricebuster.co.uk
My understanding is that good lenses don't get to be L lenses,

The canon EF 100 f/2.8 USM macro lens is a great macro lens plus it's really sharp so it kills two birds with one stone. I'm not really into portraiture but I've heard that it's too sharp for portraits. It certainly takes some nice landscapes though.

Personally I would not recommend the Sigma 10-20 as a landscape lens, it is so wide that it really flattens landscapes and only works in some situations. On the odd occassion that I want to shoot a landscape I tend to reach for my 70-200 f4 which is an outstanding lens for the money. For macro work I use a Sigma 105 f2.8 which is bittingly sharp, and I found out recently makes a fairly decent portrait lens too.

Back