Best place to be lenses

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone anybody recommend any places to by lenses. Decent price and good service is what I'm looking for?

Digitalrev, panamoz and hdewcameras are grey imports so good price and have good reputations but not used them myself

Harrison photographic site,tested and some warranty with used I believe.Both internet and stores.

Not sure which manufacturer but Nikon lenses have a worldwide warranty so grey imports as suggested above are great value and no different from buying UK stock. I bought my 70-200 from HDEW a couple of years ago for less than people were paying for used lenses on here. That said I have bought a couple of lenses on here and they have been in fantastic condition.

Not sure which manufacturer but Nikon lenses have a worldwide warranty so grey imports as suggested above are great value and no different from buying UK
stock......

Trouble is (as discussed in many other threads) without the warranty card, you have to make your claim via the seller & not Nikon.

(I'm not wanting to start another `discussion/argument` on grey imports, just pointing out your statement, although correct, it might not be quite as easy in reality to make a warranty claim)

That's not true at least not with the two Nikon authorised repair centres I checked with in the UK before I bought my lens. What you do need is a receipt issued by a recognised camera retailer in your name I.e. Not a bloke selling lenses on eBay. Both repair centres said all they needed to perform a warranty repair is a receipt.

Same applies if you buy a UK lens on here via the classifieds. Some people mistakenly advertise as lenses still being under warranty...they aren't unless the vendor agrees to pursue the warranty claim on your behalf.

Check AJ Johntone's website FAQ section...mentions receipt specifically http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/faq.php Key word being "valid"

And Fixation's repair form http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/FAQ_files/RepairForm2013.pdf

Ask for proof of purchase too.

As you can see....no need for a Warranty Card (but you still get one regardless of it being a grey import).

Last edited:
Trouble is (as discussed in many other threads) without the warranty card, you have to make your claim via the seller & not Nikon.

(I'm not wanting to start another `discussion/argument` on grey imports, just pointing out your statement, although correct, it might not be quite as easy in reality to make a warranty claim)

That's not true at least not with the two Nikon authorised repair centres I checked with in the UK before I bought my lens. What you do need is a receipt issued by a recognised camera retailer in your name I.e. Not a bloke selling lenses on eBay. Both repair centres said all they needed to perform a warranty repair is a receipt.

Same applies if you buy a UK lens on here via the classifieds. Some people mistakenly advertise as lenses still being under warranty...they aren't unless the vendor agrees to pursue the warranty claim on your behalf.

Check AJ Johntone's website FAQ section...mentions receipt specifically http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/faq.php Key word being "valid"

And Fixation's repair form http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/FAQ_files/RepairForm2013.pdf

Ask for proof of purchase too.

As you can see....no need for a Warranty Card (but you still get one regardless of it being a grey import).

....... What you do need is a receipt issued by a recognised camera retailer in your name I.e. Not a bloke selling lenses on eBay.......

Yes a receipt issued by a recognised camera retailer! Who determines that?
(Who is on the list of `recognised` retailers? Does VAT have to have been paid before Nikon will undertake free repairs under warranty?)

All I was saying was, that your original statement made it sound like there were no worries at all re "Nikon lenses have a worldwide warranty so grey imports as suggested above are great value and no different from buying UK stock." when plainly there are other factors to consider, so please don't say what I posted isn't true.

tbh the `grey` Vs `official` route argument has been done to death & as long as folk are aware of all the facts, that's fine, it's the warranty issues that are not particularly clear & maybe not as all encompassing as you initially stated?

Last edited:
Copied from a post by Peter in this thread; http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/hdew-cameras-anyone-used-them.215462/page-12#post-6530480

The following is from the Nikon UK website :

International Warranty

This applies to conventional equipment (lenses, film based cameras, Speedlights)

• Your Nikon equipment is guaranteed against any manufacturing defects for one year from the date of purchase.
• The warranty card is issued only at the time of original purchase; it is non-transferable.
• The warranty card must be presented to the Nikon Service Facility before any repair can be made under warranty.
• Establishing the original purchase date should be made by the original consumer purchase via the sales slips, or other evidence.

Here is a link to the page : http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/service_support/Support_2_Warranty.page?lang=
This is very different to what they say about the Warranty on 'Digital Imaging Products' - which is a local warranty and ONLY valid in the listed countries.

Last edited:
Copied from a post by Peter in this thread; http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/hdew-cameras-anyone-used-them.215462/page-12#post-6530480

The following is from the Nikon UK website :

International Warranty

This applies to conventional equipment (lenses, film based cameras, Speedlights)

• Your Nikon equipment is guaranteed against any manufacturing defects for one year from the date of purchase.
• The warranty card is issued only at the time of original purchase; it is non-transferable.
• The warranty card must be presented to the Nikon Service Facility before any repair can be made under warranty.
• Establishing the original purchase date should be made by the original consumer purchase via the sales slips, or other evidence.

Here is a link to the page : http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/service_support/Support_2_Warranty.page?lang=
This is very different to what they say about the Warranty on 'Digital Imaging Products' - which is a local warranty and ONLY valid in the listed countries.

Yes I've read that, the fact is gthat the repairers don't want it and as far as I am concerned that is what counts. It's a moot point really as buying grey still means you get a warranty card.

In answer to your question as to who determines who a recognised camera retailer is as far as I can tell it's whoever repairs it....as I said I rang and spoke to AJ Johnstone and Fixation who are both Nikon approved. Both said the same thing....as long as you have a receipt in your name from a recognised camera retailer they will repair under warranty, I asked specifically about HDEW and they said they were absolutely fine. I think in the modern age it's any web based or bricks and mortar retailer....eBay shops are a no go.

It's got nothing to do with VAT as far as I can tell.

I apologise if I offended you but you did say you need a warranty card which from my experience and as I demonstrated you don't . Pretty sure legally all you need is proof of purchase, Nikon can't unilaterally impose their own terms like any other manufacturer.

Hi Beardy, I wasn't offended, :cool: (but cheers anyway.)

The problem is, as posted in many other threads, I certainly (& others presumably?) seem to get conflicting advice. It would be good if someone could cut through the shaded areas/confusion & come up with a conclusive, concise & definitive explanation. ........ Anyone? PLEEEEEEEASE :)

Also, you just mentioned Nik0n not being able to unilaterally impose their own terms like any other manufacturer, but don't T&C's differ anyway re warranties, eg Canon Vs Nik0n? (I THINK I read that Sigma, for example, were a bit tighter on control of warranty claims on`imports` & refusing claims)

Clear as mud it is?????? :confused:

Back