BHP 2011 Lydden Hill

Name
Dex
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Lydden to watch the general public thrash it round lydden with a few motorsport demos thrown in for good measure. Was some lovely machinery in the paddock but didnt really look round as more interested in things on track. Suffice to say i did get covered in a lot of gravel showers(throats sore today from the dry dust).
Can you give some feedback on these please tried varying my shots so i werent just doing car full in the frame.

#1 Welcome to Lydden Hill
IMG-9340.jpg

#2 Porker in front of suprisingly busy car park
IMG-9343.jpg

#3 Like how the crowd looks like its painted
IMG-9750.jpg

#4 Drifting what else can i say
IMG-9673.jpg

#5 Love the heat haze on the Astras headlight
IMG-9786.jpg

3&4 look like good attempts at panning, #2 could use a bit slower shutter speed. #5 doesn't work for me much.

Amazed at the crowd they got in!

The hairpin is worth a visit if you're shooting behind the fence (assuming it's not changed in the year-and-a-bit since I was last there.

Neil

Thanks for the comments, i agree with you about #2. Does this look better.
IMG-9789.jpg

The hairpin has changed slightly over the winter, they've widened the banking into and out of the corner and moved the fence back so you can only just about stand up there to improve the run of up there.
I was surpised about the crowd to especially as it was £15 an adult.

What a shame the Lydden hairpin is lost - The Elfin Safety Gnomes have a lot to answer for.

That and Druids (and the back of the circuit when it was open) at Brands were where I taught myself which end of a camera was up. As best I knows, anyways :crying:

N

2 needs to be a tad slower imho
3 is nice good spot there on the elbow
4 liking this too

Personally I would like to see a bit more saturation to make the colours 'pop' a bit more. Also I have found at Lydden setting a custom WB makes a huge difference.

The hair pin is still there. Yes the fence has gone back but only at the zenith which is too high to get anything from anyways. Best spot is just after the zenith at the start of hairy hill.

The BHP is always well attended

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, i agree with you about #2. Does this look better.
IMG-9789.jpg

The hairpin has changed slightly over the winter, they've widened the banking into and out of the corner and moved the fence back so you can only just about stand up there to improve the run of up there.
I was surpised about the crowd to especially as it was £15 an adult.

hey would it be possible go grab a full res pic of this please. i own the car and i love the photo.

Thanks for the comment Matt, does the image below look any better or have i overdone it. Whats the zenith,i've never heard that word before, i got some some good images in my eyes at the top of the hill at the ERC last week which are on this forum.
bOOST-COLOURS.jpg

Blimey thanks for the tip about saturation just a couple of minutes of ps and the image looks so much better. Are you shooting on Sat at the bike track day? Do you reckon you might be able to give me a few pointers about settings etc?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment Matt, does the image below look any better or have i overdone it. Whats the zenith,i've never heard that word before, i got some some good images in my eyes at the top of the hill at the ERC last week which are on this forum.
bOOST-COLOURS.jpg

Blimey thanks for the tip about saturation just a couple of minutes of ps and the image looks so much better. Are you shooting on Sat at the bike track day? Do you reckon you might be able to give me a few pointers about settings etc?

Thats the one much better everything now seems a little more alive and less flat looking, I hasten to add that stuff like this is a personal taste thing. Gad you like it ;)

The zenith is the top part of the north bend its not the name just the actual part of the very top. Just move a little down Hairy Hill, just above the marshals post and you will get much better results as you will get a decent view and action of cars and bikes coming round the corner. For bikes be slightly higher and you'll get that knee down moment everytime!

Unfortunately I'm away at a family do in the Westcountry this weekend so grab me next time. Its fully booked at the weekend as well which is a bit annoying!

But as a pointer read up on setting a Custom White Balance that will go some way to helping

Last edited:
Ah i see, thanks for the tips. Do you know what time the track day starts and is there anyway to find out what bikes will be there?

Many thanks Dex

Ah i see, thanks for the tips. Do you know what time the track day starts and is there anyway to find out what bikes will be there?

Many thanks Dex

Yeah track time starts at 9 and normally starts with the advance group. theres no way to find out exactly what bikes will be there usually more bikes than riders as a lot of people bring more than one bike!

Best places to get yourself if your not track side will be Hairy Hill side of North bend (where I explained earlier), at the elbow, just near paddock bend (not far form post 10) and Dover straight looking back at Chessons.

Hope this helps :D next weekend is SEMSEC racing on Sunday

cheers for the info, ill be at semsec got my season pass so will be trying to get to as many events as possible.

Back