Critique Bif shots

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Determined to get more bif shots this year :eek:

Setting on these 2, F7.1 exp comp -2/3, 1/1000, iso 100 (thought I had set to auto)

Feedback any of course :) but what I am particularly interested in
Are they sharp enough critical areas eyes
Cropping
There are my thoughts above each image ;)

1. I realise the background is a no no, something I else I need to look out for :( Possibly ok for sharpness and cropping

Oyster Catcher_0727
by rkcphotos, on Flickr

2. Think this is too soft around the eye, crop would it need more space below as it is where the bird is looking

Oyster Catcher_0725
by rkcphotos, on Flickr

Bob, IMO
1. I like the crop and I think the sharpness is ok. Background is slightly off putting but could easily be replaced or the distractions cloned out. My major nitpick would be the white halo around the bird due to the sharpening. If you went around the bird with the clone tool set to darken it would greatly improve the shot.
2. Not so keen on the crop, maybe a little more room at the bottom. It's not as sharp and there's that white halo again due to the aggressive sharpening

Hope you don't mind, I removed the halo and did a 5% shadows/highlights adjustment to show what I mean

View attachment 5040

Bob, IMO
1. I like the crop and I think the sharpness is ok. Background is slightly off putting but could easily be replaced or the distractions cloned out. My major nitpick would be the white halo around the bird due to the sharpening. If you went around the bird with the clone tool set to darken it would greatly improve the shot.
2. Not so keen on the crop, maybe a little more room at the bottom. It's not as sharp and there's that white halo again due to the aggressive sharpening

Hope you don't mind, I removed the halo and did a 5% shadows/highlights adjustment to show what I mean

View attachment 5040

Thank you Kevin for the feedback, very appreciated and taken on board, have no problem with you editing and showing (y) Halo ashamed to admit I did not notice it before posting, I normally use High pass sharpening method but changed to unsharp.
Not to bothered about sorting bg on no1 as I am really trying to get better at bif, if I had a stunner then different story ;)

Hi Bob, strange as it may seem I quite like the OOF car in the bg(y)

Top one is a touch too tight on the bottom for me but only a little, I am on an ipad at the mo. But the halo is very visible ( worth processing again) if you are selecting the bird only before running usm try contracting the selection a couple of pixels so the sharpening is kept from the very edge to avoid the halo.
I prefer the first one to the second and feel this needs a little more room top and bottom. Halo as per the first.
Great captures tho Bob and even though there are loads near us at least you have managed a shot which is more than I have(y)

Thanks for commenting Steve, the high tide drove tnem well in the weekend, taken onboard your feedback, not sure about the car though

The edit works a treat Bob,the one with the car in the background adds nothing to the image at all in my opinion

Thank you for comment Den appreciated

Well captured Bob. I know BIF is a skill we are all trying to master ;). The edit gives you a very nice image now!

Russ
Not easy :) thank you for comment Russ appreciated

Back