Big group 80 people how to do it ?

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
hi all
can anyone with any experience of photographing big groups give me some advice as to how best to arrange them ?
I am on cherry picker they are on ground not much time any advice as to how to get the group into some sort of shape apprecaited

thanks

TBH I'd just shout 'left a bit, right a bit' until you get them into a shape thats appealing. I've found spending too much time on arranging groups more formally takes the sparkle out of the photo.

Can I ask what the photo is for? Is it commercial or a family / event thing? If its commercial then I'd try to get them into a kind of horse shoe shape. If its a family thing one big bundle and make sure you can see all the little ones!

One big bundle, 1, 2, 3, eyes open, snap on 4, repeat to cover blinkers then do those steps again with flash enabled.

Take too long and people start drifting.

Tallest at the back, smallest at the front.

Edit, people will find their centre, left a bit right a bit works fine just make sure the front (or line) of people is straightish to the camera.

Last edited:
If you're taking them from high up then arrange them into a triangular shape with the "important" people nearer or at the front and the first row of four or five people then arrange slightly longer rows behind. Make each person behind them angle themselves in so and not square on so you can get them closer together. That should work to start off with and then go up in the cherry picker and intruct accordingly

Back