Big problem with new tyres

I put budget tyres on a car once. My wife ran it off the road in the damp.
Since then I've always put quality tyres on. Itdoesn't improves my wifes driving but the damage and bills are now much less :D

Ba-dum-bum-tschhh!
I bet you're a smash at parties :)

The scratch is very old as it black and oxidised (or it could be dirt as I hate washing the wheels). Fresh scratch would be bright metallic white.

Anyway what sort of tyre is it if I have to park the car 30 cm away from the kerb like a very old inconsiderate man and get it decorated by a bus? or avoiding all roads with potholes? Previous tyres handled a lot of intentional abuse. Eventually they got replaced due to simple wear. I am not even sure they were reinforced, but felt really hard. What I am trying to say that this goodyear stuff is simply not fit for purpose and will fail due to the slightest touch.
There is still a pinch mark on the tyre wall regardless of how old the damage is to the wheel rim.
As for parking 30cm away from the kerb, you should be able to park next to a kerb without hitting it.
As you have no idea of how the tyre was damaged, how can you claim they are unfit for purpose, that pinch mark is not the result of "the slightest touch" as you put it. Whatever caused the damage will highly likely have caused the same damage to any other tyre in the same situation. As I wrote before, you were unfortunate it happened to your new tyre.

I am not sure what the exact nature of pinch fracture is, but surely if tyre is extremely soft or pre damaged then bulge can pop out very easily. It's a bit like apple vs coconut in a hammer test. Hence in my eyes it was defective or not fit for purpose.

If genuinely went over something horrific I would calmly put it down to experience, but this seems like one of these cheap non branded eastern accessories or toys that fall apart

I wrote a complaint to Goodyear already and will ask cc people what they think about this case.

It shall be fun selling the remaining one. Brand new only tested for a miles :) then I decided to swap for winter tyres in May :LOL:

Last edited:
Certain place I wont get my Tyres from anymore, reason being my brother once let his mates Tyre down for a laugh. His mate took the Tyre to the Tyre fitters, who sold him a new one saying it had a puncture and could not be repaired. When my brother told his mate he let it down for a laugh, they both went back for the Tyre, but the fitter said he could not find the Tyre !

Certain place I wont get my Tyres from anymore, reason being my brother once let his mates Tyre down for a laugh. His mate took the Tyre to the Tyre fitters, who sold him a new one saying it had a puncture and could not be repaired. When my brother told his mate he let it down for a laugh, they both went back for the Tyre, but the fitter said he could not find the Tyre !

You do know that if you run tyres without air in them it buggers the carcass VERY quickly!

I was once sitting indoors watching a football match when I heard an amazingly loud bang from outside and it was one of the very expensive rear Bridgestones on a Vauxhall VX220 I had recently bought, blowing a hole in itself! When we looked inside the tyre there were the tell-tale shreds of rubber that showed the previous owner had run it under-inflated!

You do know that if you run tyres without air in them it buggers the carcass VERY quickly!

I was once sitting indoors watching a football match when I heard an amazingly loud bang from outside and it was one of the very expensive rear Bridgestones on a Vauxhall VX220 I had recently bought, blowing a hole in itself! When we looked inside the tyre there were the tell-tale shreds of rubber that showed the previous owner had run it under-inflated!

Yes of course, but my brothers mate did not run the Tyre while flat, he took the wheel off and took it in. Obviously the tyre fitter not finding a problem, realised he was not going to make any money. So simply invented a fault presumably. I don't suppose it's likely to happen that often now, now that a lot of TV shows report on these scams ( Rogue Traders Matt Allwright etc )

Last edited:
Same old story really isn't it ?
I have never used places like kwikfit, I go to a friendly local tyre place and have never had a problem
Had 2 new tyres fitted yesterday, had grotty budgets on the back that were there when I bought the car,
not totally worn out, just hate the instability of them and it's getting worse as they wear
Fitter did tell me they didn't really need changing so I can't fault them for that

Same old story really isn't it ?
I have never used places like kwikfit, I go to a friendly local tyre place and have never had a problem
Had 2 new tyres fitted yesterday, had grotty budgets on the back that were there when I bought the car,
not totally worn out, just hate the instability of them and it's getting worse as they wear
Fitter did tell me they didn't really need changing so I can't fault them for that

Same here, I only use a certain service center not belonging to a national chain. They are very good and I believe them to be very honest. As when ever I take my car to them for an MOT, I always say if it needs wipers bulbs brakes etc just fit em for me. In all the years I have been using them, they have never said it needed brakes wipers etc for MOT, and only once put a tyre on that I knew it needed.

Ba-dum-bum-tschhh!
I bet you're a smash at parties :)
Unfortunately it's a true story.

We've only had one car not damaged whilst my wife was driving it, and that's because she doesn't drive the Tvr. Mostly low speed parking or manoeuvring incidents.

I always put quality tyres on all cars since she ran our Astra off a damp road on a bend through understeer and too fast for the conditions /tyres obviously. The tyres didn't perform in the way she expected and there was significant damage to the car and I decided not to risk my family again for saving such a relatively small amount of money.

Last tyres I bought were cheapest at the main dealer. Even Black Circles were more expensive. Actually, I can't say they were cheapest, just least expensive!

to be honest, from the photo its pretty obvious you dont look after your tyres/wheels, looks like you kerb your wheels regularly

to be honest, from the photo its pretty obvious you dont look after your tyres/wheels, looks like you kerb your wheels regularly

Ah welcome. I had wondered.....

Read the thread at all, did we? Notice any posts from the OP regarding the wheel damage? Oye. o_O

Ah welcome. I had wondered.....

Read the thread at all, did we? Notice any posts from the OP regarding the wheel damage? Oye. o_O
Theres the OP admitting to driving over potholes and also mentioning the damage on the wheel so yes FYI i did read the whole thread, simply doesnt alter the fact he clearly doesnt look after them, he even admits as much by saying he hates cleaning them, i do wonder why on earth he didnt drive straight back to the tyre depot when, and i quote "For a start they both looked suspicious with really soft sidewal, and the car massively understeers in the corners" Just how long after seeing these faults did he wait to return the tyres, looks like he actually waited until another fault, the bulge appeared before doing something. Doesnt have a leg to stand on although i suspect he will get replacements as a "goodwill" gesture

Anything about wheel damage dating back more than the time he's owned the car familiar?

FFS! Since when dirt marks are kerbing marks (please come and look)? And am I responsible for ex-owner marks too? Thanks.

Theres the OP admitting to driving over potholes and also mentioning the damage on the wheel so yes FYI i did read the whole thread, simply doesnt alter the fact he clearly doesnt look after them, he even admits as much by saying he hates cleaning them, i do wonder why on earth he didnt drive straight back to the tyre depot when, and i quote "For a start they both looked suspicious with really soft sidewal, and the car massively understeers in the corners" Just how long after seeing these faults did he wait to return the tyres, looks like he actually waited until another fault, the bulge appeared before doing something. Doesnt have a leg to stand on although i suspect he will get replacements as a "goodwill" gesture

All Glasgow is driving over potholes, yet they are not changing tyres every 2 weeks. Please come and have a drive around.

Yes I hate cleaning and getting crap all over my hands. That is all.

In my defence most tyres on sale are rather rubbish, so I doubt I would have had a refund for that reason alone. The fact the bulge popped out and nearly killed me is a different matter. The way you suggest I am making facts up and acting dishonestly is extremely shameful and very disrespectful. Thank you for your contribution so far but I hope you can find other threads to comment on instead.

I am sure credit card department will make a more qualified judgement in this case. Thanks again though for your opinion.

Just a follow up re new tyres. KF tried to fit something entirely different than they were asked for. That was quite nice of them. They are now making me wait another few days for the correct order...

And I thought fitting a tyre was simple and nothing could go wrong even in their hands!

Reactions: ST4
Good year are a very reputable brand and i would happily fit them to my car all day long and have done in the past. A pothole can pinch and damage any tyre.

As for sidewalls being soft before they are fitted pick up a Michelin and tell me thats wrong to.

Just a follow up re new tyres. KF tried to fit something entirely different than they were asked for. That was quite nice of them. They are now making me wait another few days for the correct order...

And I thought fitting a tyre was simple and nothing could go wrong even in their hands!

So they've agreed to replace both the Goodyears you bought? Or are you paying for the replacements yourself?

So they've agreed to replace both the Goodyears you bought? Or are you paying for the replacements yourself?
I wish they had.... We can dream. The only hope is cc protection

FFS! Since when dirt marks are kerbing marks (please come and look)? And am I responsible for ex-owner marks too? Thanks.

All Glasgow is driving over potholes, yet they are not changing tyres every 2 weeks. Please come and have a drive around.

Yes I hate cleaning and getting crap all over my hands. That is all.

In my defence most tyres on sale are rather rubbish, so I doubt I would have had a refund for that reason alone. The fact the bulge popped out and nearly killed me is a different matter. The way you suggest I am making facts up and acting dishonestly is extremely shameful and very disrespectful. Thank you for your contribution so far but I hope you can find other threads to comment on instead.

I am sure credit card department will make a more qualified judgement in this case. Thanks again though for your opinion.
Slow down there, not once have i ever accused you of being dishonest and nor would i, christs sake, nothing like adding 2+2 and getting 5.

You never did answer why you didnt take the car back as soon as you discovered they had issues which looks like straight away, nor how long you drove them in that condition before eventually going back, Im pretty sure the man at KFC will have been asking himself exactly the same

Im also asking why it seems youre getting them to fit some more tyres at your cost, if you suspect they fitted some bad tyres why on earth are you going back to them.

Last edited:
@daugirdas , maybe you havent got out of the habit of intentionaly abusing tyres and didnt realise what you were doing ?

hmm tyres, and kwikfit and tyre fitters........

We have pool cars at work through lex autolease.... two new on the back of a car today , filled with nitrogen (as disippates heat more and doesn't deflate as quickly?) Really? OK maybe for F1 stuff where 1/1000th sec over 3 miles of track counts, but a 1.6 diesel Focus? Come on. Last time I checked air was 78% N anyway....

Had 2 new bridgestones on my punto about a month back, through F1 autocentres. According to their "free" safety check, I need £900 to mend my poorly car. the manager was a tad quiet and embarrassed when I showed him the MOT cert in the glovebox from 3 hours previously.. with a recommendation that fronts were not near legal limit but perishing a bit...

He did agree that a MOT was more thorough than his checks and would be having words with the fitter / examiner. (Oh and by the way totally top MOT place and mechanic I have used for 20 odd years)

Anyway what sort of tyre is it if I have to park the car 30 cm away from the kerb like a very old inconsiderate man and get it decorated by a bus? or avoiding all roads with potholes?

The mark on the tyre looks like you connected a concrete kerb hard at speed, not that you've gently mounted a kerb or bumped through a pothole.

bdm99j.jpg

The mark on the tyre looks like you connected a concrete kerb hard at speed, not that you've gently mounted a kerb or bumped through a pothole.

bdm99j.jpg

I removed that mark by simply swiping my finger. Maybe not concrete at high speed then? What you can't see here is that the top of the tyre is practically split.

tyres are a bit of a pig to have replaced unless the fault is obviously a manufacture defect there's too many ways to get out of replacing them unfortunately that bulge in the tyre is one of them
it could very well be a manufacture defect but on the other hand it does look like it's been kerbed ( i'm not saying it has been ) either way it has to be changed

the last couple of tyres i had replaced i went to national tyres and i watch em like a hawk to make sure there doing the job properly which they did
the reason i used national tyres is because for the sake of £7.50 they do a lifetime guarantee on their tyres ( any tyre ) which if you get a puncture it will be repaired for free including balancing and valve or if the tyre is damaged beyond repair depending on the tread depth ( 8mm tyre will be replaced free of charge ) they discount the new tyre

https://www.national.co.uk/information/tyre-guarantee.aspx

in your unfortunate circumstance your tyre would have been replaced no question and no charge

i'm sure kwik fit do a similar guarantee it might be worth while inquiring before your new tyres are fitted

hmm tyres, and kwikfit and tyre fitters........

We have pool cars at work through lex autolease.... two new on the back of a car today , filled with nitrogen (as disippates heat more and doesn't deflate as quickly?) Really? OK maybe for F1 stuff where 1/1000th sec over 3 miles of track counts, but a 1.6 diesel Focus? Come on. Last time I checked air was 78% N anyway....

the main problem is moisture in the air, compressed air that has been through a dryer/moisture filter is much less reactive than plain compressed air.

I removed that mark by simply swiping my finger. Maybe not concrete at high speed then? What you can't see here is that the top of the tyre is practically split.

Yes, it would wipe off, why should that change what it appears to be? It looks like it was concrete dust from impact and it coincidently appears to be where the tyre is damaged...

the main problem is moisture in the air, compressed air that has been through a dryer/moisture filter is much less reactive than plain compressed air.

again, for high end stuff , and for best part of 100 odd years normal air worked fine.. i can maybe see it for F1, hypercars etc, but how much difference does it make to a 1.6 diesel focus running on some kind of fuel saving tyre....

Yes, it would wipe off, why should that change what it appears to be? It looks like it was concrete dust from impact and it coincidently appears to be where the tyre is damaged...

erm, no it's damaged well above that gunk mark. If you hit concrete it will leave more than fine dust

right, better pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/exhy5kehhy58fuq/AAAfyx6e-O136bML1LYLz7UPa

to me the damage is coming from the top side most likely. Look how curved the tyre surface is. Probably it collapsed on its own weight in a tighter corner (due to pre-existing fault or otherwise). It is obvious such tyre can be excessively stressed on a sidewall on faster sharp bends. = not fit for purpose

From rather unhelpful Goodyear response:

"
Whilst the sidewalls Efficient Grip Performance may seem more flexible which aids driver comfort, they meet the requirements for the EU casing and construction tests but also those of the U.S. where impact testing is part of the approval. "

In other words, yes they are too soft to be any good, but can still pass some old legal requirements.

" Should we during our inspection give an allowance (allowances granted are not an admission of liability) it will be % based and is worked out using the remaining tread depth of the tyre. We then advise the recommended allowance to the account holder by letter. A letter advising you of the results is also sent as long as your name and address have been included on the complaint form that dealers raise. If the dealer has no forms or electronic version on their computer they can obtain pads from the BTMA on 01787 226995.

The allowance will be made to the account holder who returned the tyre to us. It will be based on their purchase price of the tyre from us. Most dealers will then normally reflect that allowance back to their customer based on their payment price should of course the tyre or a replacement tyre have been brought from them. You will need to speak to your dealer regarding their complaint tyre policy and allowance reimbursement to yourself. "

This fails to observe sales of goods act. They are liable in full for this < 2 wk purchase, not some low %.

Guess which tyre brand I will now avoid like a plague, even though most other manufacturers also seem to offer some rather inadequate tyres (e.g Continental premium contact 5 is also way too soft). Its like camera gear where you have tones of useless compacts (canon and nikon included) and only 4-5 decent SLRs that can actually do something useful :( Except I don't know which ones are the good 4-5 summer tyres for a regular car in 205/55R16 size...

Do potholes mean I need an SUV to go to work or local TESCO? It is on my list, but I can't quite afford one today, particularly after this!

I have the goodyears in 205/55 R16. There's nothing else unless you want the dunlops just below in the adac test.

Look out for the XL mark and toyo do proxies with an R mark which are the reinforced rim version. I had those on huge low profile wheels on crappy roads and they were fine. Ditto uni royal rain sports which are really good in the wet.

I've never had a tyre bulge like that apart from a very old one.

Guess which tyre brand I will now avoid like a plague, even though most other manufacturers also seem to offer some rather inadequate tyres (e.g Continental premium contact 5 is also way too soft). Its like camera gear where you have tones of useless compacts (canon and nikon included) and only 4-5 decent SLRs that can actually do something useful :( Except I don't know which ones are the good 4-5 summer tyres for a regular car in 205/55R16 size...

Do potholes mean I need an SUV to go to work or local TESCO? It is on my list, but I can't quite afford one today, particularly after this!
Say's who? I'd say neither the Goodyears or Contis have soft side walls at the correct pressures for your car. If you want harder side walls you'll have to buy bigger wheels and lower profile tyres.

Say's who? I'd say neither the Goodyears or Contis have soft side walls at the correct pressures for your car. If you want harder side walls you'll have to buy bigger wheels and lower profile tyres.

Goodyear admits that themselves, I don't know why I need to force that through there?

Bridgestones are pretty stiff... No need for bigger wheels (and even more expense!!!!) Maybe I'll Just buy a Porsche Caynne tomorrow - that's got big wheels :LOL:

I just bought some Hankooks but I can't recommend them to you as I don't know what their pothole absorbing capabilities are or whether they are up to your handling standards (they seem OK to me), but out of curiosity I looked on Blackcircle to see if they came in your size as you seemed to be implying that the tyres in your size are limited. They do come in your size, but what struck me is my 215 width tyres cost £30 more for only 1 cm extra width.

I just bought some Hankooks but I can't recommend them to you as I don't know what their pothole absorbing capabilities are or whether they are up to your handling standards (they seem OK to me), but out of curiosity I looked on Blackcircle to see if they came in your size as you seemed to be implying that the tyres in your size are limited. They do come in your size, but what struck me is my 215 width tyres cost £30 more for only 1 cm extra width.

Yes, the choices are indeed limited. Probably Michelin pilot sport 3 would be the only real alternative to a001 in that particular size. I would need to see them first to really comment. Chances are I will be ok with all season up north

There seemed to be quite a lot of choice in your size on Blackcircles :confused:

Michelin pilot sport 3

I can comment on these, as I use them on a mid-engine, rear wheel drive car with ~250bhp. They provide plenty of cornering grip and only understeer if I use the throttle in a way to deliberately induce understeer. I have not had any problems with potholes, and the roads were pretty shocking here last year (the milder winter this year has meant there are a lot less around now).

There seemed to be quite a lot of choice in your size on Blackcircles :confused:

Touring, budget, Eco, or poorly rated tyres mostly... Ok for a petrol car in dry weather going to tesco in a straight line. No ok with torquey diesel in the wet and countyside roads.

Back