Big Sky At Leeds Castle

Edit My Images
Yes
Leeds Castle with a big sky.

original.jpg

Comments Welcome

Nigel

Nicely done, swan adds to the foreground nicely, that is one moody sky

It is also good to see this side of the castle as most pictures I have seen are from the other side

Cracking shot, looks even more beautiful!
Allan

That's a really lovely shot. What was your set up? (I'm still learning :) )

The swan just makes it!

I like the both foreground and the sky in their own rights, but it looks like a mismatch. I mean it looks like the sky doesn't belong with the foreground. I think for the main subject matter that the sky needs to be a lot less fierce.

:LOL: Like the swan, it's like he's keeping guard. Not so sure on how bright the castle looks compared to the background, though - it's like I'm wanting the see the sky lighter or the castle darker, if that makes sense.

Very nice shot with an impressive sky.

I like the both foreground and the sky in their own rights, but it looks like a mismatch. I mean it looks like the sky doesn't belong with the foreground. I think for the main subject matter that the sky needs to be a lot less fierce.

For my personal taste, I agree with Paul above...but obviously the large majority of responders love this photo. I do see a lot of tension set up in the photo between the dark and brooding sky and the pastoral view of swan and calm water leading to the castle...perhaps its that contrast of emotions that the photo evokes that makes it stand out.

very nice sky. Love the swan too!

Many thanks... rasmusrok1

Nicely done, swan adds to the foreground nicely, that is one moody sky

It is also good to see this side of the castle as most pictures I have seen are from the other side

Cheers Adrian, I have done the castle from all angles as well but I prefer this side for some reason.....

Cracking shot, looks even more beautiful!
Allan

Thanks Allan

That's a really lovely shot. What was your set up? (I'm still learning :) )

The swan just makes it!

Babs this as taken on D700 with a 17-35mm ƒ2.8 lens.

Image was taken with the following being used, iso 200 / 17mm FL / ƒ13 / 1/500s.

Grad was also used.

Hope that helps.

Lovely shot, well done...

Cheers

Very nice. Sharp, good light, BIG sky...great swan

Many thanks

Really nice and dramatic, reminds me that I need to go there soon :)

Adam it is a good place to spend the day, and once you have been once the ticket is good for the entire year so plenty of revisits available.

Buggerlugs I can see where you are coming from, however the grad used was not very heavy just enough to bring out the detail in the clouds. This is what the scene looked like with the weather rolling in whilst the sun was still shining.

Thanks for the comments.

Great shot well done

Cheers

Awesome shot. Did you use a gradient filter to darken the sky?

Thanks for the comments, and yep light grad used to retain detail in clouds.

:LOL: Like the swan, it's like he's keeping guard. Not so sure on how bright the castle looks compared to the background, though - it's like I'm wanting the see the sky lighter or the castle darker, if that makes sense.

It does make sense, however this is basically what the scene looked like with the weather rolling in. Thanks for the comments.

Very nice shot with an impressive sky.

Thanks

Cracking picture, The sky definitely adds a lot of impact.

Cheers

For my personal taste, I agree with Paul above...but obviously the large majority of responders love this photo. I do see a lot of tension set up in the photo between the dark and brooding sky and the pastoral view of swan and calm water leading to the castle...perhaps its that contrast of emotions that the photo evokes that makes it stand out.

Cheers for the comments Hunter, it definitely has got some comments from both sides of the fence, and I can see where everyone is coming from regarding their views.

definitely an impressive sky!

Cheers

Dramatic sky and peaceful foreground with the lake and the swan and I like both aspects a lot but for me the central subject of the castle is a little lost in the overall shot.

Thanks for the comments Loveartblues, that is something i have heard before with some of my shots of Leeds Castle, however I should point out as soon as I produce a shot that is a closer crop I get comments that they would like to see more space round the castle, sometimes its a case of pleasing oneself and not everyone else.

Thanks for all the comments.

Nigel

That's an absolute corker of a shot - well done! I'm frequently at Leeds Castle shooting weddings - I've never been lucky enough to encounter such a wonderful sky though.

That's an absolute corker of a shot - well done! I'm frequently at Leeds Castle shooting weddings - I've never been lucky enough to encounter such a wonderful sky though.

David

Thanks for the comments, Just had a browse through some of your galleries and spotted same big sky in some of the images, however you were more than likely focusing on the matter at hand, would not have been good form to leave the couple standing there whilst you started banging on filters and doing some landscaping on their dime.

Regards

Nigel

Outvoted again ;)

Thanks for the info about the light grad. Now I'm wondering how it would've looked without it :thinking:

Very imposing - a really impressive vista.

Thanks Huma11

Really dramatic skyline. Love it.

Cheers Subwax

Outvoted again ;)

Thanks for the info about the light grad. Now I'm wondering how it would've looked without it :thinking:

Buggerlugs, through the viewfinder prior to placing the grad the image lacked any real punch and the castle just sort of bled into the sky line, with a little bit of trial and error on grad placement it bought the image alive.

I did not keep any of the test shots on card as I was getting light on space and did not have any spares with me so it was not a gun and run day I was shooting and chimping as I went and killing the trash.

Regards

Nigel

oooooooo... this is rather lovely - i love the dark sky combined with calm foreground... mmmm mmmmm - really, the shot's telling a story :cool:

(even with a grad filter - i've seen real dark skies like this in Kansas as the storm was rolling in... uber cool)

Thats a super shot Nigel, love the moody sky and fantastic light on the castle.. the holy grail for me..

Back