Daily Big Soft Mooses 1000 challenge

Impressive shot - just to clarify my main problem with the weather isnt that i can't shoot in the rain, its that dealing with the £12k and rising of flood damage and the attendant paperwork is taking an enourmous ammount of time and effort which isnt leaving me the time to go shooting.

still i'm off tommorow so maybe i'll get to go out and play

Impressive shot - just to clarify my main problem with the weather isnt that i can't shoot in the rain, its that dealing with the £12k and rising of flood damage and the attendant paperwork is taking an enourmous ammount of time and effort which isnt leaving me the time to go shooting.

still i'm off tommorow so maybe i'll get to go out and play

I know I have those day's myself where everything seems to go against the idea of getting a photo :eek: I say go out and play :D and have a few easy macros ready for the hard days :D

i'm going to dartmoor zoo if the weather is halfway decent

Day 24 : Not an otter disaster...

day_24.jpg

Went to DZP as per, weather was very much against me with lots of rainclouds and lots of rain - which meant bad light and a lot of exhibits hiding in their houses. I got a handful of decent shots although i had to crank the iso up to get an acceptable shutter speed.

(I'll definitely be revisiting when/if we get some nicer weather)

Day 24 : Not an otter disaster...

day_24.jpg

Went to DZP as per, weather was very much against me with lots of rainclouds and lots of rain - which meant bad light and a lot of exhibits hiding in their houses. I got a handful of decent shots although i had to crank the iso up to get an acceptable shutter speed.

(I'll definitely be revisiting when/if we get some nicer weather)

It's the type of place you can go again and again and get very different shot each time you go, I've already been to Stratford Butterfly Farm twice it's not going to stop me going again :D and it's really nice photo (y) made by the reflection IMO

Matt

yep - its not the cheapest , but i reckon if i'm going to go at least four times in a year i may as well get a membership - then i can go as often as I want

also my boss is based at Saltram house - which is about 5 miles from DZP so i reckon if i get a membership I can bob in there for a couple of hours as and when before or after meetings etc

Day 25 : ...and I bring you fire...

day_25.jpg

Despite it being July it was so cold and miserable last night I had to light the log burner - so i figured i might as wll take a picture of it. Shot with my compact because i didnt want to risk my decent lenses near something that hot. (the little black dots are cack on the burner door - not sensor dust)

Day 26 : Bluetones

day_26.jpg

I intended to go sunset shooting but due to one thing and another arrived at my chosen location too late - so when i saw this squall building over the sea i was attracted to its tonal variation despite being all blue.

day 27 not eden ; ... this reminded me a little of the eden project, but its actually my bathroom window

day_27.jpg

day 28 mod envy : you know the rain is getting you down when you are reduced to taking a macro of a jaffa cake packet (what looks like haloing, isnt it was their in the viewfinder - its some weird reflections from the packet)

day_28.jpg

Only another 972 days to go ... just so the rain stops before i run out of ideas for things to shoot arround the house :bonk:

pack of 36 buy one get one free in waitrose ! (although that shot is on a tube of 15 hence the lack of dof )

pack of 36 buy one get one free in waitrose ! (although that shot is on a tube of 15 hence the lack of dof )

:muted: don't let the mods know before I can go and get some :D

Eek Ive been modded

day_28b.jpg

( I probably should have saved that set up for tommorow -but strike while the iron's hot and all that - just gonna pop that in creative for wider 'appreciation' :LOL:)

you think the mods leave crumbs ? :eek:

Day 29 : erm...

day_29.jpg

its light refracting in the top of my monitor trim - yes i know its crap and probably the worst shot i've taken so far. Ive had one of those days and just havent had the time to do anything better .... plus its still 'king raining

Well it's different Pete (y) not really sure what to make of it as I'm still trying to figure it out :LOL:

Cheers matt , heres the uncropped shot so you can see what it is - incidentally all that crap to the right is on the monitor screen , its not dirt on the sensor

I'm not really sure how the weird colours came about on what is basically black plastic i guess it was polarisation, or refraction or some such - i was probably bunking off the day that was covered in GCS in physics - but I just grabbed my trusty compact and captured it because it looked kinda cool and it was the best oportunity i had for a POTD

day_29b.jpg

that's the monitor that belongs to my dead HP (which i must get round to fixing one of these days) - currently use the laptop to the left of the pic.

also screenwipes - pah, screenwipes are for sissys , whats wrong with just breathing on it and using the sleeve of your fleece - its good enough for my lenses :LOL:

that's the monitor that belongs to my dead HP (which i must get round to fixing one of these days) - currently use the laptop to the left of the pic.

also screenwipes - pah, screenwipes are for sissys , whats wrong with just breathing on it and using the sleeve of your fleece - its good enough for my lenses :LOL:

Yeah that works for my lens too since a certain member of the family borrowed my lens cleaning cloth and spray and it's not been seen since :(

day 30 : Single File

day_30.jpg

Its actually sunny here today - but ive been so goddamn busy with work that i've not had a chance to take advantage of it. This image was taken on my desk of one of the files that weighing my day down

I do like the idea (y) would be reasonable to suggest this was a P&S photo?

:sulk: That was shot with the 40D and Tamron 90mm Macro Lens :crying: :LOL:

It would however be reasonable to suggest the the lighting was crap, and i shot it hand held on a high iso

Day 30 : single file - Take 2

day_30_take_2.jpg

This time with a lower iso, a bean bag, and an angle poise lamp to add light, better ?

The only issue i can see now is the burn out in the highlights - that couldnt be helped , but it does 'highlight' that I need a better lighting solution for table top macro.

Last edited:
Cheers matt - its always good to have someone challenge the ' ahh crap , that'll do' shots as the point of this exercise is to improve, not to post 1000 mediocre shots that could have been a lot better , and sometimes i just need a kick up the jacksie to make me make the effort and take the time to realise the idea propperly

Day 31 : Be Prepared

day_31.jpg

I'm expecting a busy day later - so i thought i'd nail this one before i went to bed

Day 32 : Work in progress

day_32.jpg

Not sure if i like this or not - maybe more dof would have made more of the idea ?

Yeah i wanted what was on the screen to be more recognisable - but that was f5 , and i'd already had to crank the iso up to 1000 to compensate so i couldnt go much narrower
( I realise of course i could have used a tripod - but its in the car and i couldnt be arsed to go and get it)

Yeah i wanted what was on the screen to be more recognisable - but that was f5 , and i'd already had to crank the iso up to 1000 to compensate so i couldnt go much narrower
( I realise of course i could have used a tripod - but its in the car and i couldnt be arsed to go and get it)

Been there my tripod lives in the car and quite often I'll pump the ISO rather than go to get the tripod :cautious:

Day 33 : 'inspiration' If anyone has ever wondered about the content of some of my late night posts - now you know my guilty secret

day_33.jpg

for legal reasons i'd point out that those are actually vitamin pills, please don't report me to mods or police

day 34: okay, own up who stretched the sheep...

day_34.jpg

day 35 , dappled light - not entirely happy with this, but i had such a busy day yesterday that i didnt have time for lots of shots

day_35.jpg

Day 36 : Did somebody say... heffffalumps

day_36.jpg

Incidentally i havent carried out some fancy pp on the background - he's standing on the cover of 'light on the earth'

Back