Bikers and All Related Stuff.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this has been done before but I thought it might be a good idea for any bikers to show off their pride and joy here and also their biking experience.

My experience of biking started in 2005. My G/F at the time, now my Wife (I married a biker too :banana:) had a CBR 600F Rossi rep. I had never riden a motorbike up until then, save for a Malagutti 50cc auto that a friend of mine had as a lad. My Dad had a Lambretta 200cc scooter that I quite often stood between him and the handlebars on and helped steer, health and safety as it used to be, but I had never riden a big bike by myself. In 2010, I decided it was CBT time, which I went on to 'fail', I was that bad. All this gumpf about changing down gears, indicating, braking and doing a lifesaver everytime I came to a junction was just too much to compute:thinking:. A few weeks later, I tried my CBT for the 2nd time and got through and the world was my oyster.

I wasn't hugely into biking back then, so I went out and bought a little 125cc bike. It was a Skyjet F5, Chinese import and boy did it look the part, it was gorgeous. Sadly, it turned out to be made of cheese with nuts and bolts as well as various components melting on a regular basis :runaway:. The Skyjet did serve some purpose though, as it taught me how to ride a bucking bronco and also how to fix a bike. It was in bits more than it was in one piece. I persevered with it though and then in 2011, decided to do my full training.

Long story short, I passed Mod 1 and Mod 2 first time and at last, could get my hands on a bigger bike. Speed wasn't important to me, although I did want to get down the road. A friend of mine knew for a bike for sale, it was a 600cc Suzuki Bandit. It was a 2000 model and the owner had had it from new. He was 70 years old and the bike was his pride and joy. When I bought it, it was 12 years old but looked like it had just come out of the showroom. It only had 6,500 miles on it. I've had it for the last 4 years and it has even now got only 10,550 miles on the clock. It's still minted although I would like to touch the engine up here and there as the paint has gone a little flaky. When this season is over, I may will strip it, do all the oily bits and paint the engine. My bike has affectionately become known as 'The Lady'. It's a toy really, not used for commuting or anything like that, just the odd blat on the weekends. It's totally original, apart from the lower fairing which was on it when I got it. I've changed the indicators as I dinged one getting it out of the garage one day and I've also fitted a rear hugger. I also had to change the oil cooler last year as well as front pads and new boots.

So, there you go, my experience to date, lets see yours'.

My 'Stilton' Skyjet', what a learning curve this one was. :confused:

Stilton Skyjet by Dale, on Flickr

Always in bits,
Cheese. by Dale, on Flickr

The Lady, 16 year old Bandit 600FS. I will get a more recent pic next time she's out.

The Lady. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
What, no bikers? :runaway: What kind of forum is this? ;):LOL:

There is a few here, including myself.

I've got a Kawasaki Versys Mk2 650.

Attachments

• 10513243_769836626371477_6130614022066643312_n.jpg
    10513243_769836626371477_6130614022066643312_n.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 33
Nice bike, black and yellow works well.

I have a BMW F800GS that I bought new 2 years ago. Don't get to ride it as often as I'd like and have only done 3600 miles.
Will try and get a decent photo of it this weekend (after a wash)

Thanks, its very visible in traffic as well, it has 2x high power LED running lamps fitted to burn cagers retinas out :)

Thanks, its very visible in traffic as well, it has 2x high power LED running lamps fitted to burn cagers retinas out :)

I think The Lady is heard before it's seen, typical woman. ;):LOL:

Seriously, I love my Bandit and when the time comes to change, I think it would be for a newer 1250 version. I still think I'd keep my B6 though, it's almost at classic status. ;)

Is it the older 600cc Bandit with oil cooling?

Bandits went through a phase of being cheap hooligan bikes I remember the older 1200's went like stink.
cheap as chips to maintain.

Yip, oil cooled but the facelift version, registered in 2000, so it's an X reg. I changed the oil cooler last year as they always crack on the flanges. My B6 is pretty nippy, for what it is, so I can imagine the 1200 or 1250 might get up and go a bit.

I would like a CB250N (Superdream) as a project, always wanted one as a lad, although I doubt it will ever happen.

I fancy a newer GSX but I think a newer Bandit is the more sensible choice.

Last edited:
I currently also have a Kawasaki ZRX400 as below which I have had for a few years and would say go for the CB250N but beware unless you have deep pockets these projects can soon spiral out of control. I am currently getting the 400 plate changed over with the DVLA so it can be sold on. My plan is to keep the versys for a year more while I am in Scotland and then treat myself.

Love the classic lines of that. What year is that?

RE the 250N and deep pockets, can't be as bad as my Skyjet was.:LOL:

Decent 250Ns can be had for around £1200 although they are getting more scarce. I loved the engine note on them.

Started when I was 7.....

Italjet 50
Suzuki RM80
Kawasaki KX125
Yamaha TZR 50
Yamaha DT 125
Aprilia RS125
Suzuki RGT200
Suzuki RGV250 VJ22
Honda VFR400 NC30
Suzuki GSXR 600
Husqvarna SMT610
KTM LC640
Honda CBR600
Yamaha R1

Probably skipped a few.

Its come back from the DVLA as P817 CCT which dates to 1996 which sounds right as that's when I think it was imported from Japan.
oh it is a lovely bike, it has one of the worlds smallest 4 cylinder 16 valve engine and redlines at 13,500.
with the Yoshi full titanium exhaust its awesome.......but its done 300 miles in 4 years....

That is a lovely bike for the year Paul.

Twist, I see you've worked your way up over the years :LOL:. Liking the Ceeb and R1. (y)

That is a lovely bike for the year Paul.

Twist, I see you've worked your way up over the years :LOL:. Liking the Ceeb and R1. (y)

Yeah, love bikes, not allowed to ride anymore, responsibilities and all that..... my time will come again.

Currently riding a Royal Enfield Bullet 500. Love it when old(er than even me!) blokes come up to me saying they had one just like it back in the '50s or '60s. If I'm feeling nice, I don't point out the fuel injection and disk brake or the 2010 registration! Not fast and showing its crappy Chrome's age (as well as the crazing paint) but it pulls like a train. Almost time to swap over to the Summer bike, a 2008 Bonneville Speedmaster 865 with shorty pipes. A bit quicker than the RE but not sporty by any standards! Needs an MOT soon - must get it down to the chap who does them for me!
Had a few others over the years including the omnipresent (among bikers of a certain age!) Bantam, CB125, CG125, GP100, GS550 and for a couple of years had custody of an 88" Shovelhead in a 1925 frame which went like brown, smelly stuff off a shiny spade all the way up to a little (OK, a fair bit!) over the legal limit (allegedly, ossifer...) and which left a dot/dash trail like an ABS equipped bike when it was given a wristful away from a standing start. Would have bought it when the owner sold it on but I couldn't afford it at the time. Probably the only Harley I would buy, although I nearly bought a Sportster until a test ride reminded me just how uncomfortable they are and how dangerously inadequate their brakes are (as standard!) Could be tempted by a Rocket 3 but don't do the miles it would deserve.

Started riding in 1977 on an SS50 Honda and am on an enforced-by-family-break following a bit of a do that wrote off my Street triple:(
Had a 250N in the late 80's but wasn't a good Un. Went 2-up to the lakes on it and wouldn't get over 50mph up the hills.
Had a 1200 bandit around 2000. Lovely bike, torquey motor, handling ok but when a mate who was slower round bends than me started keeping up on his gixxer it had to go.
Had a 1997 bandit 600 for 5 years before my street triple and that was a decent all round bike but needed a bit more umph for overtakes.
Looking at Harleys now as can't bend my right leg enough for under yer bum footpegs:naughty:
Once the bug gets ya, it's hard to let go!

Started riding road bikes around 10 years ago , here's my list

Aprillia rs 125
600 fazer
Cagiva elephant
Cbr 600 f sport- had a slip up and bought a sports bike for some strange reason :) it lasted under 150 miles with me.
Xt660
Dr 650
Drz 400e
600 Hornet
Bmw gs1100
Klv 1000
Ktm 990 adventure - the best bike I have rode, never mind owned , ever!
And now I've down sized to a crf 250l

Last edited:
Suzuki GP100 built from the remains of 2 1/2 bikes. Worked well enough to get me through my test.
Yamaha RD250E - Still got this one, but it's been in bits in the shed for 15 years.
Suzuki RG250mk1
Yamaha RD350LC2 (in Kenny Roberts colours)
Suzuki RG250 mk3
Yamaha RD350F (Still have this one)
Honda SLR650 (Did about 60k commuting on this one - it got nicked but it was pretty much already dead).

In between times I had a 250N, but I only bought it to do up and sell (there is no such thing as a good superdream).
There was another RD250 in there somewhere too (but that was bought for spares - it had shiny bits)...

Been riding bikes for 36 years
Currently have these 3
And yes I do like my V-twins :)
Harley Fat Bob
15222-1462480423-bfc9a794219f45aef80bc7fc2dd52792.jpg

Ducati 851
15223-1462480968-4f61f831e465811b9430cfff7a5464c0.jpg

Ducati 900 Superlight
15224-1462481826-78387c3e1d8a8b5a68d3626079549929.jpg

Last edited:
That's really nice
I have had my eyes out for a Super-dream as well.
I currently also have a Kawasaki ZRX400 as below which I have had for a few years and would say go for the CB250N but beware unless you have deep pockets these projects can soon spiral out of control. I am currently getting the 400 plate changed over with the DVLA so it can be sold on. My plan is to keep the versys for a year more while I am in Scotland and then treat myself.

I've got a black CB250NSuperdream. It's the same as the one I had when I was 17. I bought it a good few years ago, as a runner with 16k on the clock. I started stripping it down for restoration, then moved house and no longer have a garage.
I have a full new 2 into 2 exhaust system for it, as well as new shocks, and decals for the tank etc.
I've been riding bikes for 37 years and have owned the following....in order of ownership.
Honda CB50n
Honda CB250n superdream
Honda CB900f
Kawasaki 1100 Zephyr
Yamaha XVZ1300 Royalstar
Honda CBX1000Z
Ducati Monster 600
BMW F650 Funduro
Honda VFR 750
Kawasaki ZX636 Ninja
Ducati 996
Triumph Legend 900 (which I converted to a Cafe racer)
Back to Honda CB250n superdream

Some pics.....I'll add more if I can find any.

Last edited:
1963 BSA c15 ss80
1971 CD Honda 175
1973 CB Honda 175
Kawasaki 400 kz I think
Honda cx500
Matchless G80 (Rotax engine)
BMW R,80RT
BMW K75s
Triumph 995 Sprint ST x 2
Triumph 1050 Sprint GT (current bike)

That spans 45 years of biking!
Matt

Didn't start riding until I was 44. My husband was a keen biker and I got fed up riding pillion. He used to complain that I was fidgety on the back so I decided to do my direct access. The only bike I had riden previous to this was a Honda 50 when I was 17.
Did my CBT on a 125 then my test on a Kawasaki ER500 then went out and bought a Suzuki SV650. Next tried a Kawasaki ZZR 600 but thought it felt heavy and I'm a real shortie 5'3" I then bought my favourite bike a Honda CBR400 Babyblade and I loved it. I also had a Suzuki Marauder 800 but though it looked lovely I hated the riding position.

I gave up biking in my late 50s when the old arthritis was setting in.
2016-05-06_01-13-40.jpg

Passed my bike test in 1972 on a BSA Bantam. That got traded up to a Royal Enfield Crusader, then a Velocette Venom.I had a bad smash on the Venom and gave up biking at that point.

Move on 30 odd years and I bought a Honda VFR800 in 2010. I soon found out that sports tourer bikes and 50 year old backs are not a great combination so I part-ex'd it for a Honda CBF1000 a couple of years ago. It's perfect for me, it's got a more upright riding position and a detuned Fireblade engine (still knocking out 100bhp) that gives loads of lowdown grunt. Must get round to taking some decent pics of it!

Last edited:
Wish I still had this.
IMG_20160506_085606.jpg
Triumph 350 tiger 90 that I rebuilt from the ground up in the '80s.
Swapped it for a Moto Morini 500 which you could think around corners and sounded amazing but I never got on with the clip ons so that went for a Triumph 750 bonneville.

RE in the garage, Trump on the drive. Trump booked in for MOT next Saturday. Loud pipes save lives!

DSCF4434.JPG DSCF4435small.jpg Life is a fatal condition!

Here are a couple of snaps of the Triumph against a backdrop of my car and a detail shot.

Nod, what are the servicing costs like on the speedmaster? 12k service (valve service)on the street is circa £650 at my local triumph dealer which I think is stoopid money as my zx6r valve service was only £350 and was as much work.
Captain caveman, hope you've allowed for the service in your running cost!
I had Arrow high levels on mine, thought they sounded loud whilst riding but when a mate did a ride-by at full chat on my bike I was suprised how quiet it was.

Mine's not due the 12k service yet and I have a very good independent mechanic who will be doing it at the end of this year. So far just oil and filters and an hour or so sat beside it while I do it! Wouldn't let the local main dealer near it even if someone else was paying.

Utterly love bikes I do!!!!

Been riding for 35+ yrs and still going strong. In 2008 I bought a new Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 GT and still own it, a few nice mods done here and there. Power commander - K&N air filter - Akrapovic carbon ovals - 2tooth more rear sprocket - steel brake lines front & rear - Scottoiler - Osram whiter/brighter headlamp bulbs - fender extender.

We've had it around Europe in 2012 for a few wks ridding around Switzerland & Austria. Sublime.......!!!!!

p.s.
I'll try upload a photo...

Pete

Cheers Nod, the spanner work is all part of the fun to me and always worked on my own bikes but don't have the gear for doing valve shims.
One of the reasons I was thinking harley is because you can fettle them yourself, I do like the Triumphs though.

Don't have one at the moment but may get one later this year.

Yamaha FS1E
Suzuki GT185
Honda CB200
Honda CB550F
Kawasaki GPZ1100
Honda Blackbird
Suzuki GSXR1000K3
Suzuki GSXR1000K8
Suzuki GSXR750 SRAD Track Bike
Yamaha XT660X
Kawasaki Versys 650
KTM 990SMT