Bill Shankly Statue at Anfield

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
IMG_9456-306_4-304_5-305.jpg

Just a smidge :) I wanted a really powerful, and dramatic shot. Hopefully it makes fans feel like he's really alive and speaking to them.

Who is "Bill Shankly"?

That's a superb shot, Pete (y)

The reflected sky under his arm being significantly darker than that above his arm is bothering me - that and the very dark hands (although I'll bet ya like those!).

Otherwise, good stuff.

Fantastic shot Pete! I remember a thread you did asking if footie fans would buy shots around the Everton FC ground (Goddison Park?) - I think the consensus was that hardcore fans might buy those but this one of Shanks is in a different league & I'm sure LFC fans would lap this up!
Paul (y)

Who is "Bill Shankly"?
petemc said:
Dunno. Some Liverpool guy
I hope this is a bit of good old fashioned "English Sense of Humour" cos Bill Shankly is a legend in Liverpool & Football generally ...
He was a very dour Scottish type famous for his Liverpool team who dominated the English League & Europe in the 60's & 70's ...

He was also famous for his football related quotes like these:
  • "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
  • "If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."
  • "In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves."
Genius ... Paul ;)

Great shot pete, I like how you've put liverpool F.C their aswell. I would have been tempted to try one with just the sky in the background and really make the sky deep and moody?

One of the other quotes that I like that I tell my players from time to time - Bill Shankly to a liverpool trainee "The problem with you son is your brains are in your head" and all the stories of him winding up the other teams players before matches :LOL: Truly a great man. :)

It would have been the wrong angle with just the sky. I don't think it'd work as well.

As you know Pete I'm a bit :) OK massive Liverpool supporter and remember your first Goodison and Anfield shots well. Whilst they just failed to capture the atmosphere, this hit the mark, probably beucase of who the statue is of and what he means to Liverpool supporters ...
As a fan I would buy this shot, I really like it.

As for who is Bill Shankly, I know it's not a football forum, but let me indulge myself for 30 seconds ...

His spirit lives on at Anfield to this day, where a statue to the great man stands before his beloved Kop and the Shankly Gates bear the immortal words "You'll never walk alone". Certainly Shankly never walked alone and he is revered by all Liverpool supporters to this day.

This was no better demonstrated than on 18th December 1999 when the 40th anniversary of Shankly's arrival at Anfield was celebrated in a manner that took the breath away. Nearly the whole of the 1965 and 1974 F A Cup winning teams reassembled to view the exhibition commemorating Shankly and then paraded onto the pitch, where they stood in silence as two bagpipers played "Amazing Grace".

12,000 voices on the Kop gently sang the word 'Shankly' to the tune as they held up a mosaic bearing his face and the Saltire. The version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" that followed rivaled any previously heard before. His spirit and his legend is clearly set to live on well into the new Millennium. For the full story http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/managers/shankly/

Which is why I think this image will do rather well.... YNWA :)

Back