Binoculars??

Be interesting to have your opinion on these, the review is certainly encouraging and they’re a great price if they really are as good as it states.

Apologies if I'm hijacking another's thread.
After a week of using the Meade Rainforest Pro 8 x 42 binoculars in all sorts of weather, from overcast through to snow to perfect blue skies, I can honestly say that I am more than pleased with them.
Imo excellent viewing detail, excellent to handle and excellent to view through, both with AND without glasses on, something I've never been able to do before.
They cost £145 and I have already had my money's worth in the pleasure of using them.
My only criticisms are a) of the poor quality carry 'case' and its carrying strap and b) that the bino's Meade strap does not fit into the 'case' with the binos.

On the back of this (having 'saved' over £150 by not buying the other brand of binoculars) I ordered a Meade Wilderness 20-60 x 80 spotting scope for £193,
something else I really don't need,
which I took delivery of yesterday.
Took it to Pagham Harbour this lunchtime in the pouring rain, so not the best of conditions.
Enjoyed watching, very clearly through the 20x to 60x focus range without any negative issues, redshank, curlew, teal and mallard feeding on the mud flats south of the North Wall BUT -
when I viewed tufted duck swimming and diving to the north of the Wall there was much bright blue chromatic aberration
where the white feathers met the black feathers at
45x through to 60x .
On turning back the focus strength to 40x and under the view was 'perfect'.
I'm of a mind to keep the scope because I'll take it out on those 'not so good light' days to just enjoy the birds and save the camera for the good weather days.
(I have looked through some of the best spotting scopes there are and I do know the difference between them and mine - mine just happens to be more than £1000 cheaper !).

Last edited:
Back