Bird ID please.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a couple of visitors to the garden today which I am unsure of ID as new to this hobby trying to photograph birds. Both shots were grabs and I only managed to get 3 of Wren and 2 of Blackcap, providing I have ID right.. Heavy crops of both and shot through glass.

From my reading on here for @gramps thread and RSPB site I am unsure if the second is a black cap. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also, I have had nuthatches today are these regular garden birds? Also a couple of days ago when I first had my new camera and I had a Redkite I think flying over, I tried to capture but messed up exposure. Are these also common for cities, although I live close to the Black Mountains, as the bird flies and I have woodland backing onto the house.

Wren?

20150130-DSC_3733 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Blackcap?
20150130-DSC_3741 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks dave. I was charging the battery on newly arrived camera when I seen the Kite. Pic below of poorly PP bird.
DSC_1787 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

As said, wren and female Bully 100%

As said Simon, not a Blackcap, the black is going to far over the face and the beak is too 'blunt' ... characteristics of the Bullfinch :)

Thanks for the replies and identifications, it's appreciated.

Could somebody recomend a website or book for identification of birds, what made me think it was a Blackcap was the black head. When I look at the RSPB website, apart from the blackhead the Bullfinch's look different to what I have photographed and their photo. Mine seems to have an all whiteish body / wings on the RSPB site the wings and body are multi colour.

Could somebody recomend a website or book for identification of birds, what made me think it was a Blackcap was the black head. When I look at the RSPB website, apart from the blackhead the Bullfinch's look different to what I have photographed and their photo. Mine seems to have an all whiteish body / wings on the RSPB site the wings and body are multi colour.
They just don't come better than this. Second to none. The end!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bird-Guide-Complete-Britain/dp/0002197286/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Only because it was the truth. :D

Were these with the 300 + 1.4?

No, just the lens, I took off the TC yesterday as I wanted to start shooting in RAW and have a go at PP, it's all new to me. I was finding it a little too close for a perch I had set-up in garden. As per squirrell shot below. Pic SOOC JPEG.

20150128-DSC_3482 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:

Male bullfinches are much more brightly coloured. It's also worth bearing in mind the season. Although you do get blackcaps in winter they are primarily spring/summer visitors, whereas bullfinches are resident.

re:Collins Bird Guide -

Make sure you get the 2nd edition. I believe it has a tern on the front. Owl is 1st ed.

Last edited:
'Collins Complete Guide to British Birds' is the book I use and find it very good, it shows your female Bullfinch very well :)

Back