Bird of Prey id Please

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw this when walking round a wood today, taken with the 1d and 100-400 hand held, bit of a grab as it flew off soon after. Looks a bit like a Buzzard but something looks wrong to me !

something2.jpg

I know what you mean, something does look wrong to me aswell, I am no expert though, its head has very pronounced features, more Golden Eagle like obviously its not a Golden Eagle but you know what I mean, still a great capture though, I spend half my life chasing Buzzards and still never got a great shot as they bugger off at the fist sign of a camera !

Thats weird Ian
It looks like a migratory patagonian mini eagle but not this far over surely?
I know the winds have been strong lately but I have never heard of one being "blown" this far over before. ( and they don't usually migrate till around the End of March earliest more usually the very begining of April)
Is not wearing "kit" so its not an escaped display bird and no one would just turn one loose they are worth far too much money
Have you tried notifying DEFRA or the RSPB?
Send them the picture I am sure they will be able to give you a positive ID

Edit well spotted BTW

Have you tried notifying DEFRA or the RSPB?
Send them the picture I am sure they will be able to give you a positive ID

Edit well spotted BTW

They'll also send millions of spotting scopes to the area Ian saw it.

They'll also send millions of spotting scopes to the area Ian saw it.

True enough perhaps it better to leve the little fella in peace

Looks like an adult male Buzzard to me. They have a yolk (or is it Yoke;)) which can be slightly orange. Hope this helps.(y)

There's no way thats a European buzzard, It may be a "buteo" rather than an "aquila" but its not European ;)

Nice wind up Ian :D
but I am afraid you forgot to completely clone out the "Aylmeri" ( or cuff) from the Hawks left leg) ;)
Oh and in case anyone was in any doubt there is no such thing as a "migratory patagonian mini eagle"
I thought I would have a little fun as well. Sorry :coat:
Red tail hawks are north American buzzards and fill the same sort of niche' that ours do.

Nice wind up Ian :D
but I am afraid you forgot to completely clone out the "Aylmeri" ( or cuff) from the Hawks left leg) ;)
Oh and in case anyone was in any doubt there is no such thing as a "migratory patagonian mini eagle"
I thought I would have a little fun as well. Sorry :coat:
Red tail hawks are north American buzzards and fill the same sort of niche' that ours do.

I did google "migratory patagonian mini eagle" and found nothing, LOL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Nice wind up Ian
but I am afraid you forgot to completely clone out the "Aylmeri" ( or cuff) from the Hawks left leg)

I thought an 'Aylmeri' was something Catholics said for confession.

I thought an 'Aylmeri' was something Catholics said for confession.

:LOL:
"Aylmeri" ( various spellings)
Was "invented by Guy Aylmer as "false aylmeri" where by you have "cuffs" around the hawks leg and the jesses
are put through an eyelet previously the whole "thing" was attached to the hawks leg making it unsafe for various reasons.
Without writing an essay thats it in a nutshell

LOL, try it see what you come up with ;)
Oh yeah aren't we popular :D

Back