Critique Birds of prey close up

Name
Charlie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

It's been a few years since I've uploaded a photo but feeling brave with these ones :D

I had a bird of prey photography experience last week and these are some of my favourites from the day, I've only recently come off of auto for bird photos (I normally use either auto or sports mode) and after watching lots of YouTube videos felt confident trying the aperture priority setting (with ISO on auto). I also had auto focus on which I think was my downfall on the last one as all of the flying ones from this A-frame focus on the frame and not the owl.

I'd appreciate some feedback on them please, sorry I know there's a few but am keen to learn from my mistakes/improve my technique :)

Attachments

• IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3677.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3789.JPG
    IMG_3789.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
Well it`s good you have got back into it again Charlie, with regards toany advice it would be best if you can inform us of what kit you are shoooting with and what the exif was on the shots, it just makes it a lot easier for people to advise accordingly.

Well it`s good you have got back into it again Charlie, with regards toany advice it would be best if you can inform us of what kit you are shoooting with and what the exif was on the shots, it just makes it a lot easier for people to advise accordingly.
Thank you Rich.
Of course, they were all taken on a Canon EOS 100D, I'm very new to this camera as recently inherited it as well as the lenses. The barn owl was taken using a Tamron 18-270mm lens and the other 3 were all taken using a Canon 100-400mm lens. I also used a tripod for the last 3 whereas the 1st one was free hand, if that makes sense.
The eagle owl was using exposure compensation at -1 (something else I've not tried before)
Exif isn't a term I'm familiar with, is that whether it's a raw photo? If so then I think they were all jpegs. I'm not too sure how I can tell on the Canon so guessing they're on the standard setting.

Last edited:
Back