B&W Birnbeck Pier

Quiet in here today!
Yeah it is.

Nice enough for me I am unsure about only seeing half of the steps or at least not enough to step onto. It blocks the flow for me.

I know the area well Jake (my eldest daughter lives in W-S-M) and have shot Birnbeck myself..I like the steps making it an unusual view point, the long exposure adds mystery, if anything maybe the exposure is too long making the sea look like fog, just my take

Robin

Nice enough for me I am unsure about only seeing half of the steps or at least not enough to step onto. It blocks the flow for me.
Agreed, the longing for a wider angle lens has never been greater than when I was trying to compose this (while dodging waves). Thanks.
I know the area well Jake (my eldest daughter lives in W-S-M) and have shot Birnbeck myself..I like the steps making it an unusual view point, the long exposure adds mystery, if anything maybe the exposure is too long making the sea look like fog, just my take

Robin
Cheers Robin. The crashing waves have made the foggy look to the water, there was a very high tide with some strong waves coming in.

Jake did you not consider a stitch of two shots to the stairs in?

I like that. Not usually a fan of the super-long foggy sea shots, but this works for me. The portrait framing works too, and adds human structure to an unusual viewpoint. I like the weathered textures on the rail and the strong diagonals it forms.

Have a cup of tea 17-40. Gwan, you will, you will, you will, you will, you will, you will. /mrsdoyle.

I like it, but might have liked to see you further down with a lower prespective with the rocks, pier alone,
Cheers Steve, I started down there, but got soaked, so quickly gave up that idea.
I like that. Not usually a fan of the super-long foggy sea shots, but this works for me. The portrait framing works too, and adds human structure to an unusual viewpoint. I like the weathered textures on the rail and the strong diagonals it forms.

Have a cup of tea 17-40. Gwan, you will, you will, you will, you will, you will, you will. /mrsdoyle.
Cheers Peter! Glad the long exposure is working for you, I also like the rails, just wish I could have got a slightly wider view of it.
Hmm, I've been contemplating the 17-40, but I just don't know if it's got the sharpness that I ultimately yearn for.

Hmm, I've been contemplating the 17-40, but I just don't know if it's got the sharpness that I ultimately yearn for.
It's as sharp as the 24-105, no question. I've shot both lenses on the same body and there's nothing to choose between them in terms of quality.

Cheers Steve, I started down there, but got soaked, so quickly gave up that idea.

Cheers Peter! Glad the long exposure is working for you, I also like the rails, just wish I could have got a slightly wider view of it.

I've used the 17-40 for a couple of years now and I've never had any issues with sharpness, in fact it's the lens I reach for first when shooting landscapes as it's sooo much wider than my 24-70 and the image quality is just as good. I just wish I was that happy with all my lenses lol :meh: :indifferent:

It's as sharp as the 24-105, no question. I've shot both lenses on the same body and there's nothing to choose between them in terms of quality.
I've used the 17-40 for a couple of years now and I've never had any issues with sharpness, in fact it's the lens I reach for first when shooting landscapes as it's sooo much wider than my 24-70 and the image quality is just as good. I just wish I was that happy with all my lenses lol :meh: :indifferent:

I've heard it's not as sharp as the 24-105, which is where my doubt had come from, but that's two good reviews there.
I never normally feel the need to have anything wider than 24mm. I don't have the money for another lens at the minute anyway sadly.

It was an enjoyable trip Jake - even if I did get a soaking! Jake was lower than me I was at the top of the steps, yet it was me who got a camera bag full of salt water when one particularly large wave rolled in! Lesson learned, always close bag after removing gear when at the seafront!

Here is my shot of the day, (hope that's ok to post here JT):

Stormy Birnbeck by Rabc3, on Flickr

My LE attempts were ruined by spray all over the filters. Hopefully Jake will add his shot(s) from Sand Point to this thread - we headed there from Birnbeck and although the weather rather let us down, I'm still recovering from watching Jake clamber around a shear rock face like a mountain goat to get his shot framed - he's a braver chap than me!

Rob

Last edited:
Back