Bittern......Woodwalton fen.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
We've been here twice recently( Gordon's mere, Woodwalton Fen near Ramsey) and have seen a Bittern on both occasions, luckily I've managed to get photos both times, this is the best of my efforts
using my new D500 and Sigma 150-600sport lens. Not saying it's a perfect photo but I'm still getting to grips with the new kit.
Please click on the photo for the larger view, any comments welcome!
thanks
(PS check out the size of those feet!).

original.jpg

Really good capture. .They're great to see in flight and more people are seeing this elusive bird as Bittern populations increase. Most times you just hear their boom.

That's an excellent photo Tony, sure does have some big old plates of meat.
Saw one flying the other day at Fen Drayton lakes, not a million miles away from Woodwalton, alas no photo though.

Just out of interest are there many Little Egrets there? Over here I saw upwards of thirty last week all perched in several trees around one lake

Thanks for your kind and encouraging comments guys, it's really appreciated.
tony

That's an excellent photo Tony, sure does have some big old plates of meat.
Saw one flying the other day at Fen Drayton lakes, not a million miles away from Woodwalton, alas no photo though.

Just out of interest are there many Little Egrets there? Over here I saw upwards of thirty last week all perched in several trees around one lake

Hi,
actually it's a very small lake, probably less than a football pitch in size! Haven't seen any egrets there yet.
We went for a walk around Fen Drayton lakes a couple of weeks ago and saw 25+ little egrets on just one of the lakes, it was very windy and cold so didn't hang around in the same spot for too long. After walking around all of the lakes there and covering probably 5+miles we eventually found a hide fairly near the car park, saw more little egrets along with a couple of great egrets/herons and assorted wildfowl
was an enjoyable day though we hoped to see the starling murmuration at the end of the day which didn't really materialise.
Summer Leys seems the best place for murmurations in this area at the moment, hope to check it out over the weekend.
cheers
tony

Hi,
actually it's a very small lake, probably less than a football pitch in size! Haven't seen any egrets there yet.
We went for a walk around Fen Drayton lakes a couple of weeks ago and saw 25+ little egrets on just one of the lakes, it was very windy and cold so didn't hang around in the same spot for too long. After walking around all of the lakes there and covering probably 5+miles we eventually found a hide fairly near the car park, saw more little egrets along with a couple of great egrets/herons and assorted wildfowl
was an enjoyable day though we hoped to see the starling murmuration at the end of the day which didn't really materialise.
Summer Leys seems the best place for murmurations in this area at the moment, hope to check it out over the weekend.
cheers
tony

Thanks for the additional information Tony, think I will have a look at Woodwalton Fen, never been there.
I saw recently that the area near Ramsey Heights is now a dark sky site, might give it a go if we have some more clear nights this week

It doesn't get any sharper than that, nice work!

Back