Black Darter

Thank you Rob,Ceri and Peter :)

Great detail, colour, lighting. A really nice image. :)

I echo these comments.

I've not been successful in seeing one of these yet and according to my dragonfly app, they're only around till end of September

I echo these comments.

I've not been successful in seeing one of these yet and according to my dragonfly app, they're only around till end of September

Thank you for the comments Mark, the Black Darter is around until mid-late September, you'll find it near acidic water, near pools on the moors is the best place, and abandoned reservoirs on the moors are ideal,that is where this one was taken,hope that helps you :)

Cracking Macro Ian, caught the eye just right :)

Really nice detail shot (y) And thanks for the tips on where to find them, I'd love to see one of these but probably next year now :)

Thank you for the comments Mark, the Black Darter is around until mid-late September, you'll find it near acidic water, near pools on the moors is the best place, and abandoned reservoirs on the moors are ideal,that is where this one was taken,hope that helps you :)

Cheers for the info Ian.

Only one place in Norfolk where they're seen and that is Roydon Common.

May have to go before mid October. I understand there may be adders there as well.

Well I went to Roydon Common near King's Lynn and found some black darters, all female though - manual focus using the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS.

Think I nailed a couple of them posing on ragwort.

I've never been to heathland before but it was a fantastic experience. Plenty of wet moss, acidic fungai, grey sand, heather and open space.

Well I went to Roydon Common near King's Lynn and found some black darters, all female though - manual focus using the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS.

Think I nailed a couple of them posing on ragwort.

I've never been to heathland before but it was a fantastic experience. Plenty of wet moss, acidic fungai, grey sand, heather and open space.

Well done Mark will we get to see them ? :)

Well done Mark will we get to see them ? :)

It is certainly a possibility Ian.

I ended up manually focusing about 20cm away from her before she had enough and flew off. Just edged closer and closer, crawling on my front.

Back