Black Dog on a Black Background: Advice of Lighting Needed

Name
Daz
Edit My Images
No
I am trying to achieve a classic black dog on a dark background, and I would appreciate some advice on the best way to light it. The photo below is an example of what I'm aiming for.

I tried using a softbox feathered away from the background and a reflector on the other side, but I didn't get enough light bouncing back from the reflector. Also, trying to position a reflector next to a dog kinda freaks them out. I think I may need to light both sides at a 2:1 ratio.

Any other suggestions.

123350-Black_labrador_retriever.jpg

Depending on what you have available, the obvious approach is to have a backlight each side, and a fill light above and in front. Any honeycombed light will do for the backlight, but honeycombed softboxes are the easiest.

What Garry said really.

Although the above image is lit from the front left with a softbox and probably a gridded snooted 'hairlight' rear right, which you can see on the right of the image mostly where it spills onto the dogs ear and cheek.

But I'd want a bit better separation, which Garry's solution would provide.

Yes I like the image above and want to do a shot like this myself. Allthough I agree with whats been said (would be a fool not too) above I too would be trying to do it with a softbox and reflector and most probably fail :)
If your subject don't like the reflector it is going to be fun setting up 3 lights.

Have fun , hope it all works out.

Gaz

up the power of the lights and shoot at F8 and above to darken background (adjust to taste) depending on how near the background is to the dog.

Or paint your dog white. :p

Thanks for the replies. It does seem like I'm going to have to invest in least another softbox to light this properly.

Getting a suitable dog is half the battle. Trying to position a dog between two softboxes and getting them to look at the camera is kinda difficult. The trouble is that when you bring a dog into a studio environment, they get really excited, and then begin to pant.

I know it's a challenge, but sticking to the same old type of photos doesn't do it for me.

Daz, I've shot plenty of black horses against black backgrounds, and though considerably bigger, the principle is the same.

I doubt you'll need another softbox, the second hair light doesn't need to be so soft and certainly isn't in the image you've posted.

If you can't prevent stray light from your flashes hitting the black background, just move the subject further away from the background and make sure that the ambient light isn't adding anything to the background either.

Simples, job done ;-)

Back