Black Five

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_2748.jpg

Its a lovely engine but, unfortunately, the sky is completely blown out on the top left corner.

Definite candidate for bracketing the exposures there. Lovely shot that would really shine if the sky could be brought under control.
Then 'shop out the pink and white bods reflected in the tender. Lose the disembodied heads poking over the bridge parapet and it's a winner.

I suspect there's another fabulous loco immediately behind the subject as well (Winston Churchill class ????)

Looks like that would have been a fun day out.

The loco behind was Wadebridge a Bulleid West Country Class the train was double headed, hence bracketing was not really an option, it's ok when on a tripod and the subject is stationary. Yes I appreciate the sky is blown out but it's a shot of the engine not the sky.

The two locos
IMG_2750.jpg

Have you thought about using an nd grad to keep the sky in check? I have used them with out any problems when taking train shots. I was also given a tip (by swiss tony) of metering of the track bed to get better exposure instead of waiting til the frame is filled with a large black engine which will affect the metering.

The large patch of pure white sky in this image is a distraction from the engine(s) IMHO.

It is a real pity about the sky but then thats always a problem when photographing dark engines,however the Black 5 itself looks stunning although I am biased as it is probably my favourite class of engine

I have ND grad filter, as regards reading exposure off the track bed, it is the detail in the engine that I wanted so the burnouts have to be accepted. Interesting comment about cloning out the post, it is a common device in art to place anobject like this near the edge of a painting to act as a stop to the eye wandering out of the painting, strange how different disciplines have different criteria on aethestics.

I have ND grad filter, as regards reading exposure off the track bed, it is the detail in the engine that I wanted so the burnouts have to be accepted.
No they don't, the whole purpose of an NDgrad is to balance the exposure in scenes such as these without losing detail,

and by the way I should read THIS regarding image sizes allowed!

and by the way I should read THIS regarding image sizes allowed!

I thought that the size regs had been altered to allow up to 1024?

Edit:

It has:

There is a temporary rule change, allowing images up to the maximum dimensions of 1024 pixels wide and 800 pixels high.
The image restrictions are still 800x800 in our free gallery for the time being, and also have a maximum filesize of 200kb. There is no file size restriction on images hosted offsite, although we urge users to be sensible, we reserve the right to break links to images we feel may take too long to download.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27659#rules_postingimages

Last edited:
Nope, it's changed across the board (so to speak).

The Pano restriction was 1024 x 512, whereas you can now post 1024x800's.

One of the Mods mentioned it a couple of days ago, but I can't remember who!

Pickey lot arent they? :)
I'd of been happy with this shot, maybe not a put on the wall type of thing but very pleased with it none the less.
If only we all had time etc to ask train drivers to back up a bit and could the people please get off the bridge, to me taking the shot and display as is seems a whole lot more 'honest' than spending 2 hrs in PS getting rid of stuff that was there. Each to their own I suppose.

Matt

That red black five is an 8F and you've blown the sky as well. :LOL:

I know, I had a brain fart. I'm still brooding over the fact of a RED 8F and it's clean :eek: I haven't got a photo of a red Black5 but this is close.

Kev

Back