Black Swan, attempt #2

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
This time w/ the D810 and a tripod. 400/2.8 +2x, f/8, 800, 1/25. Still not quite where I want to get it... ISO is too high, IQ a bit soft/noisy, pretty much all due to distance/TC/light. But I think this would print well pretty large.

SGK_6131-Edit.jpg
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

And I think the hard crop works a lot better this time.

SGK_6131-Edit.jpg
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Can't decide if the split tone is a bit too heavy or not... but I like it.

Last edited:
Mrs Nod says "WOW!" She prefers the top one since it shows more of the bird but then again, the lower one shows more detail so maybe she prefers that one...

Was the bird shot at Dawlish? I know they have some down there.

Mrs Nod says "WOW!" She prefers the top one since it shows more of the bird but then again, the lower one shows more detail so maybe she prefers that one...

Was the bird shot at Dawlish? I know they have some down there.
Thanks.
Not in Dawlish... I'm in Pennsylvania (USA).

Yip i like both, a bit different and i like that..are you able to get close enough to use the 400 without the 2xtc?
Not yet, they seem skittish about me stopping and pointing the big lens at them. Actually, they're like most wild-ish animals, they don't like it when you stop and focus on them... unless you're feeding them.

It's a bit of a trade-off... The TC degrades IQ and light, but I get nearly full frame. W/o the TC IQ would be better, but a hard crop. In the end, both options probably limit max print/display size about the same.

Last edited:
The colours are a lot stronger Steven - the red is much better showing the detail and texture, plus the eye now shows through - both attractive images, I am sure that they would look impressive big on the wall

There are some black swans at Slimbridge in Glos but your description of skittish seems to sum them up. Mutes there are quite happy to get in your face but the black swans .. Nope. skittish is the word. No 2 for me.. And love your hummingbirds by the way.

Last edited:
They are both cracking shots but the second one is a clincher for me ... get closer, get closer, get closer.

A lot better, really like this one as the sharpness is there compared to your first attempt (y)
Thanks.
SS was 1/25 at f/8... slow enough that I had to use the timer to fire the shutter (didn't bring a remote). And I still got blurry shots because the bird was swaying a bit.

I went w/ f/8 this time trading less DOF for less diffraction. If I do manage to get shots at 400/4 then I might need to focus stack. :confused:
They weren't cooperative this morning... rather, they were even less cooperative....

Last edited:
Were you tucked away in a hide for this or out in the open where they could see you?

Both delicious photos.

Black red and white, such contrasting colours is a brilliant start.

Feather patterns are intriguing.

All in all, both are super photos................

Were you tucked away in a hide for this or out in the open where they could see you?
Out in the open... No telling where they will nap, or when. I don't think I want this photo bad enough to sit days in a hide. Might be why it's taken me 4 months to get this far...

Back