Blencathra and Buttermere

The first one for me…
down right delicious!

…but all are crazy good! :cool:

A good set indeed but No.1 is incapsulating! The softness of the colours and textures is as Kodiak says delicious.

No.3 is great for expressing the sheer scale of the mountain, something that would have been lost without the figure in the scene.

thanks for sharing!

I love the first shot Stuart though the others a very good too.
We have had some amazing conditions lately round here

The first one for me…
down right delicious!

…but all are crazy good! :cool:
Thanks kodiak

A good set indeed but No.1 is incapsulating! The softness of the colours and textures is as Kodiak says delicious.

No.3 is great for expressing the sheer scale of the mountain, something that would have been lost without the figure in the scene.

thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much I was fortunate to get no.3 sharp as it was extremely windy

I love the first shot Stuart though the others a very good too.
We have had some amazing conditions lately round here
Cheers alf yeah alot of stormy weather, who says you can't shoot landscapes in summer eh? Lol

1 certainly has a lovely dreamy quality to the light and composition. Good work. There's nothing wrong with the other two, but whilst presented with one alongside don't stand out. They're fine enough but they don't grab and hold your attention the way the 1st does.

Last edited:
Absolutely superb landscape images Stuart.

The first is sublime, I know I have mentioned the slightly warmer cast to your images, I'm accepting it as a style not criticising it at all here.

The second for me has a great sky, and very good colour. The bit I am undecided on is the break in the rocks in the foreground, it would be cleaner without the darker bit perhaps.

The third, as I said on flickr is an excellent landscape image that definitely benefits from the person in the scene giving scale, and I'm not always a fan of this. Their positioning is spot on, that sky is to die for and the balance between shadows and highlights is very nicely done.

It's sets like this that really make me wonder what I am doing with my life working a bare minimum of a 55 hour week in the rat race, I've not walked up a hill for years.

1 certainly has a lovely dreamy quality to the light and composition. Good work. There's nothing wrong with the other two, but whilst presented with one alongside don't stand out. They're fine enough but they don't grab and hold your attention the way the 1st does.
Yep I'd agree with that, if I'm honest if I can top the first one over the rest of the year I'll be very happy, amazing conditions to shoot in.

Agreed, number 1 is a stunner. I stopped and was engrossed in it for quite a while.
Thanks very much

I'd be very happy with no1 and no2.
Thanks alot

First one is superb! I'm sure I shared this on Twitter or Facebook?
Thanks Matt much appreciated, if you did It was probs on twitter

Absolutely superb landscape images Stuart.

The first is sublime, I know I have mentioned the slightly warmer cast to your images, I'm accepting it as a style not criticising it at all here.

The second for me has a great sky, and very good colour. The bit I am undecided on is the break in the rocks in the foreground, it would be cleaner without the darker bit perhaps.

The third, as I said on flickr is an excellent landscape image that definitely benefits from the person in the scene giving scale, and I'm not always a fan of this. Their positioning is spot on, that sky is to die for and the balance between shadows and highlights is very nicely done.

It's sets like this that really make me wonder what I am doing with my life working a bare minimum of a 55 hour week in the rat race, I've not walked up a hill for years.
Thanks Craig, ref the warm cast the first has been split toned a hair although looking at the raw it was quite surreal/glowy light, the kind of which I only tend to see in the mountains either side of a storm which this was. I processed no.1 that way but generally it must be a subconscious thing as I'm not actively trying to go for any type of look as such, funny how the brain works. An hour later the rain was biblical and I honestly feared for the kit as I still has an hour walk to the car. Deffo agree with your comments on two as I was undecided a bit myself, I didn't have my wide lens with me which would have remedied the foreground issues a bit easier. I kept it as I thought the light was strong enough to carry it off but if I had my time over I'd like to have re-shot that one.

Good set as usual and as usual I'm going to go against the grain and say that #2 and particularly #3 are the picks for me, I just love that contrasty light (y)

Cheers alf yeah alot of stormy weather, who says you can't shoot landscapes in summer eh? Lol

I have been too busy lately and have missed a lot of amazing light/weather

Bringing up the rear as usual! bit late in commenting however its all pretty much been said I guess.
No1 is beautiful, lovely element all just right, with lovely light.
No2 I think the unbroken rock dominates it somewhat. Less rock or broken rock might have worked a little better, but none the less a nice shot.
No3 I really like this a lot, a fantastic ridge that and I don't mind the figure at all Great Shot!

First one is obviously the money shot though ;) Nice Work(y)

Great set Stuart, the soft light in the first really makes it pop.

Good set as usual and as usual I'm going to go against the grain and say that #2 and particularly #3 are the picks for me, I just love that contrasty light (y)
Thanks alot

Bringing up the rear as usual! bit late in commenting however its all pretty much been said I guess.
No1 is beautiful, lovely element all just right, with lovely light.
No2 I think the unbroken rock dominates it somewhat. Less rock or broken rock might have worked a little better, but none the less a nice shot.
No3 I really like this a lot, a fantastic ridge that and I don't mind the figure at all Great Shot!

First one is obviously the money shot though ;) Nice Work(y)
Thanks mate, no.2 is one which will grate me until I go back up and get it right with the correct lens. The 28-300 simply not wide enough for the type of shot I envisioned despite the nice light. Trying save kit weight when I should have just taken the full kit up there.

Great set Stuart, the soft light in the first really makes it pop.
Thanks very much

Thanks alot

Thanks mate, no.2 is one which will grate me until I go back up and get it right with the correct lens. The 28-300 simply not wide enough for the type of shot I envisioned despite the nice light. Trying save kit weight when I should have just taken the full kit up there.

Thanks very much
We all have shots like that my Lightroom catalog is full of them :eek:. Its like an itch you cant scratch isn't it. I guess i should have learnt by now to take more angles and change position more when I'm at a location eh!
I just have a question for you, regarding your 28-300. How do you find it? On the face of it, it sounds like the ideal walk around lens. Reason I ask is I have been teaching SWMBO Photography (for my sins) and she wants a walk around lens for her Nikon 5600.
Let me know what you think or drop me a PM
Cheers Mate

No.1 is rather delightful Stuart, the light just hitting some of the heather really brings the colours out as with other parts of the scene.

We all have shots like that my Lightroom catalog is full of them :eek:. Its like an itch you cant scratch isn't it. I guess i should have learnt by now to take more angles and change position more when I'm at a location eh!
I just have a question for you, regarding your 28-300. How do you find it? On the face of it, it sounds like the ideal walk around lens. Reason I ask is I have been teaching SWMBO Photography (for my sins) and she wants a walk around lens for her Nikon 5600.
Let me know what you think or drop me a PM
Cheers Mate
Honestly, the auto focus is hideous on it - it's a tamron and an earlier version of it I think, the latest one is probably better and I dare say the nikon equivalent is probably much better. It was bought as a stop gap and I've not got round to selling it so all in all I'd not recommend this one although in principle for mountain work a good one would be well worth it. I didn't anticipate shooting anything wide hence taking it up there. I live close so luckily I'll be back up there again soon when it snows to shoot the same shot

No.1 is rather delightful Stuart, the light just hitting some of the heather really brings the colours out as with other parts of the scene.
Cheers Paul much appreciated

Following the recent Olympics that's been televised, for me your first image jumps onto the Dias in gold position!
One of the best landscape images I've seen in a long time.

really nice set, i was in the Lakes last week and took to walking round Buttermere and captured a few which i thought was good, not in this league though!!!

I heard Blencathra was a nice walk and not took taxing with kids, in most places, might have a look up there next time im that way

Honestly, the auto focus is hideous on it - it's a tamron and an earlier version of it I think, the latest one is probably better and I dare say the nikon equivalent is probably much better. It was bought as a stop gap and I've not got round to selling it so all in all I'd not recommend this one although in principle for mountain work a good one would be well worth it. I didn't anticipate shooting anything wide hence taking it up there. I live close so luckily I'll be back up there again soon when it snows to shoot the same shot

Thanks for the info Stuart, I know that lenses covering such a great focal range are always a compromise, but its just easier for the boss! She's not as stupid as to haul a heap of hernia inducing lenses around the countryside, like me! I have been looking at the Nikon equivalents She will be ok for the lower end as I have the trusty 17-55 2.8 DX or 16-35 she can use. I'll have a poke around to see whats about on the run up to Xmas.
BTW i really like the Pano version of No2 Blencathra on Flickr That's a really great shot(y)

Last edited:
Yeah that's the one! Superb job Stewart!(y)

Back