Blood pressure checks!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Anyone else have to have their blood pressure checked from time to time?
When I go to the surgery or the hospital it is always much higher than normal (white coat syndrome I think they call it!).
The 'normal' BP is 120/80 and mine sits somewhere between 122/71 and 150/83 but on the last visit to hospital it checks in way over, causing a letter to the GP about a change in medication.
Makes me wonder what my normal is going to be in the future, too low to stand up straight? :thinking: :)

Anyone else get this annoying problem?

Yes. So do a lot of people! You can get blood pressure monitor machines quite cheaply now so you can check your own.

Mine usually needs doing a few times in the same visit but whenever I check myself it is low as anything.

They shouldn't make you talk while they're taking the reading as that can make it higher too.

Yes I've got a BP machine already, that's how I know there's an inconsistency.

Ah. Just keep reminding them that your own readings are much lower :) I did the same. Then they moaned about calibration so I pointed out their own machine was out of date for calibration too. They left me alone after that!

They do have one they can give you which takes readings randomly that you wear for 24 or 48 hours or whatever. That gives better results. Might be worth asking for that.

White coat hypertension. Attending a hospital or GP is stressful and stress causes an increase in your blood pressure. To increase meds on one reading is slightly forward, even more so when it is often taken inexpertly by someone untrained and often using an incorrectly sized cuff. People think its simple but its not! ;)

Never feel stressed, that's the puzzle, well except on the GP's DIY one where you stick your arm in a box at an ungainly angle with everyone watching how you get on!
Need to speak with the GP about change in meds though, not convinced ATM.

You may not feel stredded but you probably are. Having had to find somewhere to park or taking public transport, sitting in an enormously busy clinic, waiting ages and then being rushed around by the medical staff all adds to it. Its even more stressful on the other side of the desk! ;)

There has actually been data released very recently backing up "white coat syndrome". It commented that large amounts of the population are being treated for high BP when it is not really required.

It doesn't necessarily mean stress, as such. Think of a "typical" trip to the GP's:

Up and about to get to appointment....driving through slow moving traffic/late public transport........brisk walk from car park/bus stop......walking up the stairs.....sitting waiting in a boiling reception.....getting annoyed that appointments are running 15 miins late......

The list is endless but are all things that can raise, albeit temporarily, blood pressure.

Some home machines aren't the best, usually the wrist ones. But a decent monitor form omron or similar should give accurate enough results.

Joe

Up and about to get to appointment....driving through slow moving traffic/late public transport........brisk walk from car park/bus stop......walking up the stairs.....sitting waiting in a boiling reception.....getting annoyed that appointments are running 15 miins late......

:LOL: yeah I know what you mean.
Mine is an Omron with armband, obtained from a pharmacist friend and it does appear to be reliable.

I know where you're coming from! I suffer from white coat syndrome badly. My pressure goes mad when done at the doctors. It's not something I can control.
I am now on blood pressure tablets for high pressure. It's now about 130/140 over 77/80ish.
BUT a couple of years ago it was 196/154!! in the surgery. :eek:
A realistic reading at the time for me at home was about 160/105. Still too high, but a massive difference.
I now have a blood pressure tester from the surgery every 6mths or so for a week and test it 3 times a day.
It does alter, depending on how stressful the day can be, but nothing like it was before.

Kev.

Because of the "white coat Hypertension" the latest recommendation is that you are monitored over a period of time, as opposed to just changing your medication on just one result.

As for "cheap" over the counter BP monitors, unless they are calibrated, they are as about as much use as a "---- " (please feel free to put in whatever you feel to sum up useless.)

As for "cheap" over the counter BP monitors, unless they are calibrated, they are as about as much use as a "---- " (please feel free to put in whatever you feel to sum up useless.)

That's interesting. I used mine as well as using the one from the surgery. They gave the same readings.

Kev.

There are some cheap models but there are also some good units, as used by professionals.

The problems with them are
a) how good they actually are
b) maintaining accuracy
c) how well people use them
d) THEN the biggest problem is that bearing in mind the above, people use them and either think they have problem when the don't or worst of all believing they haven't got a problem when they have.

I have to add that hospitals/ surgeries etc are not immune from using un-calibrated BP monitors.

Last edited:
Heh! Gramps tell me what your BP is when you look at this then :D

7d.jpg

I have an Omron one. I took it with me to the doctors and checked with theirs. It gave the same reading, so they accept the readings I get.

It's not just about the make model (or who use them) it is about them being calibrated.

Last edited:
I feel the odd one out here :( appartently whenever I have my blood pressure taken it's low :cautious:

:LOL: yeah I know what you mean.
Mine is an Omron with armband, obtained from a pharmacist friend and it does appear to be reliable.

Well if you got it from a pharmacist then it will be bang up to the job!! (y)(y)

Joe (the pharmacist, lol)

Gramps - 120/80 is normal for a young fit person. I run at about 150/90 on medication and my Doctor is quite happy about that.

At a recent visit to the Doctor's she checked my pressure and said it was high, and as my cholesterol was also a bit high wanted to put me on statins.
When I had the pressure re-checked by the nurse after a month the first reading was high but she always takes 3 readings and the next 2 were fine.

I get it checked every 6 months now and normally the first reading is a bit high but the other 2 are OK.

Gramps - 120/80 is normal for a young fit person.

Which I ain't! :D
However with coronary scaffolding already in place I guess I'm more of a candidate for closer scrutiny.

on a recent trip to the doctors my blood pressure was reading around 180/120 so after the doctor and me nearly having a heart attack she had me fitted up with the 24 hr monitor. bloody annoying as it goes off every half hour (every hour at night) and feels like its squeezing the life out of your arm while it does it. Dammed inconvenient when your riding a horse as you are supposed to stay still whilst it pumps up also a bit difficult when your horse has a hissy fit at the unexpected noise:LOL:. However, it showed that my average through the day was 134/95 and through the night 129/85.

so although not brilliant she opted to give me a lecture on diet and exercise rather than immediately prescribe medication.....lost half a stone, 3 more to go!
No more Galaxy bars or Chiken Tikka Masala :crying:

Sue - 160/120 was the figure my Doctor quoted as "call an ambulance".

He also said that the lower figure is much more significant.

The lower figure is the more important, and many Drs consider anything over 90 as being considered to be in need of a close watch and/or treatment.

Oggy said:
Sue - 160/120 was the figure my Doctor quoted as "call an ambulance".

He also said that the lower figure is much more significant.

I tend to suffer from the "White coat syndrome" which is why I was immediately fitted with the monitor rather than sent off to hospital

All this chat has prompted me to take mine with a Boots own make Intellisense machine.
120/84 with pulse rate 48. I do take some medication though.

If I know I'm going for a medication review I'll go in a few times to use the machine in the waiting room and present the results to the GP.

A mate of mine had consistently high readings which his GP always put down to white coat hypertension and never tested him any further. This went on for about 4 years until I advised him to see a different doctor.

Not only is he now on medication but tests have shown evidence of kidney damage probably linked to his hypertension.

I bought an Omron Machine from Asda pharmacy last year for £9.99, brilliant ! Can return for re-calibration quite cheaply.

An important consideration is make sure you get the correct size arm cuff. A small one on a big arm is a wate of time.

Just did mine...... 19 over 6 and pulse rate 3 .... I guess I should live forever :cool:

Back