Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I think this is one of those things you need to see first hand, its difficult to capture the true image and emotion in a picture. However, you have done a grand job with these and it gives a good sense of the occasion. I don't like selective colour, and yet number 3 works so well for me, as does the wide angle of number 4, but then its hard to select a favourite, each picture has its merits and I like them all.
I have bought one of these poppies in commemoration of my grandfather who died in the Somme 1916, but I would have bought one anyway as a donation to their charities. I believe it will be delivered sometime in November.
Well done on an excellent set Paul and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment, I too have purchased one of the poppies and had my Great Uncles name read out as part of the Roll of Honour on Friday hence the visit. As you say the whole screen is so very difficult to capture in just a few images, the scale is just vast and so hard to believe every poppy head represents a human life.

My poppy's in there somewhere ................. Tho' I can't se it !!!!

Some nice images, although I do agree with Trev, it's definitely something you've got to see to get the full impact.

Like #4 - looks like it's filled out some from when we were down 5-6 weeks ago. #3 is a really nice shot ...

Having visited this a few weeks a go I can appreciate your take on it, I find them to be an excellent set of images with No's 2 and 3 being an excellent angle on the display.

A very evocative set of images of a difficult subject (as others have said, you really need to see it for real). But from someone who's not likely to see it for real, I'm glad you posted these. I'm not normally a fan of selective colour as in #3, but it works so well in this case.

let me start by saying nice shots and what an event to capture. In my opinion number 1 and 2 need more contrast in the stone work and a lil clarity to give it some bite. Number 3 ... Im really not a fan of selective colour but on this occasion I like it due to the symbolism of the red. Number 4 is a nice shot but the sky needs a little more detail for me. im not really a fan of number 5 sorry.

Id love to see a low down wide angle shot taken where the girl is stood in number 4.

what kit was used here please Paul?

Back