Bloody Adverts - IE8

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier today I briefly went on to the Clarks shoes website. Now, on totally unrelated sites I am getting ads plastered all over the place about Clarks shoes. :banghead:

*Surely* there must be a built in way to stop this happening?

If someone knows how could they please enlighten me? :notworthy:

Thanks.

Last edited:
AdBlockPlus Don't know if it will work in IE8 though works well in Chrome.

I'll third that. Adblock works a treat.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

P.S. Shouldn't you upgrade to the latest version of IE or even better use a safe modern browser? Not many of us support old tech on our websites and it would be just a lot nicer if people moved along

Adblock plus works on IE but agree you should make sure your browser is the most up to date (unless you are on XP of course).

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

P.S. Shouldn't you upgrade to the latest version of IE or even better use a safe modern browser? Not many of us support old tech on our websites and it would be just a lot nicer if people moved along
if the OP is on XP then IE8 will be the highest he can go. it would be nice if you could code for such a popular OS that will more than likely be around for a good few more years ;)

Beats me why anyone uses IE any more. Chrome and Firefox are way better. I've not looked at IE for years.

IE9+ are much nicer than FF which is a bloated POS. Chrome, thats just "lol Google" and data collection hell.

You are entitled to your own opinion but the market is clearly telling otherwise. There is only one POS and that is described by a 2 letter abbreviation (either one) :)

On windows 7 now. Had to go from Firefox back to IE because of some wierd proxy thing set up stopping me seeing photos on this site. Also at the monent, my hands are tied in what I can install but am hoping this will change again soon. If it does I'll then try Chrome.

You are entitled to your own opinion but the market is clearly telling otherwise. There is only one POS and that is described by a 2 letter abbreviation (either one) :)
i never said anything about market share. irrespective of which is "better" according to how many installs (you may as well start a canon vs nikon, mac vs pc, ford vs vw etc argument while youre at it), FF is memory leaky like a sieve. and google as a VERY poor history regarding user data.

either way, you'll find MANY businesses still use XP and hence IE8 so you're still limiting people from seeing your site if you're ignoring compatibility.

Last edited:
Ah! Good old XP, still my OS on the lap-top, it's bullet proof:)

On windows 7 now. Had to go from Firefox back to IE because of some wierd proxy thing set up stopping me seeing photos on this site. Also at the monent, my hands are tied in what I can install but am hoping this will change again soon. If it does I'll then try Chrome.

So does this mean you are not allowed to install Adblock plus then?

I think that the owners/managers of TP would rather we don't use programs like AdBlock 'cos they get paid by advertiserso_O

either way, you'll find MANY businesses still use XP and hence IE8 so you're still limiting people from seeing your site if you're ignoring compatibility.

ahhh good old XP on business computers. NHS is going to cost all of us very dearly for bespoke MS support because some expert consultants decided to stick with old tech. These "experts" and IT bosses should be prosecuted and put behind bars for this. Compatibility with what? Viruses and data leaks? :) Better hire real IT experts and use open platform (linux) next time...

Pish!! No loss for me at all. Chrome suits my needs fine and I've no intention of going back to IE - EVER!![/quote

There types a closed mind!

Good luck removing all the many traces of Chrome if you ever get fed up of it.

IE 11 is fine for me, give it a try, you know you want to!

There types a closed mind!

Closed mind my arse. I've used IE and FF but prefer Chrome, as I stated it suits my needs. For both PC and Android it's ideal for me. If I ever want to get rid of it and can't, I'll just buy a new computer and fone.

if the OP is on XP then IE8 will be the highest he can go. it would be nice if you could code for such a popular OS that will more than likely be around for a good few more years ;)
I agree, XP will be around for a good few more years, but it really shouldn't be, and anyone using it should really switch to a browser other than IE.
Why?
Because Microsoft are stopping patches / updates for XP from March this year (unless you are a big corporate, paying for extended support). So, new exploits will not be patched, and the most prevailent attack vector is the web browser.
If people stick with XP, then using a current version of Firefox or Chrome (other browsers are available) will be safer than sticking with an unpatched IE8.

IE 11 is fine for me, give it a try, you know you want to!

What a disaster, it wouldn't run on my mac! what do I do now? I will be stuck with google traces forever :crying:

I even tried painting a BSOD wallpaper for my desktop but nothing helps. Anyone got XP laptop for sale?

ahhh good old XP on business computers. NHS is going to cost all of us very dearly for bespoke MS support because some expert consultants decided to stick with old tech. These "experts" and IT bosses should be prosecuted and put behind bars for this. Compatibility with what? Viruses and data leaks? :) Better hire real IT experts and use open platform (linux) next time...
What a disaster, it wouldn't run on my mac! what do I do now? I will be stuck with google traces forever :crying:

I even tried painting a BSOD wallpaper for my desktop but nothing helps. Anyone got XP laptop for sale?

edit: actually i cant be arsed.

Last edited:

Buy a proper computer? :p:p

Can't you just sod off and stop whinging on every IT thread you see? If you had a clue you'd realise that in the situations the IT guys are NOT in control of what OS is being used or what the company budget is. Someone else make the decision and then the IT guys get told to do it, and if that decision maker is a penny pincher who thinks upgrading computer systems is an unnecessary expense, too bad. We just deal with the cards were drawn and if the client won't move off XP we have no say in it (but we still get blamed when it goes wrong).
Thanks.

As for the original problem, SOLVE this by disabling third party cookies, which is really easy to do in IE. it's under the cookie preferences, under the advanced button. Set third party cookie to block, and this will stop most targeted ads in their track.

FYI I was a long time user of chrome/chromium for almost two years until changing back to IE recently. It's lightning quick on windows 8 and responds correctly to a trackpad scroller, ie it scrolls smoothly (like on a mac) and not in a stepped motion.

Last edited:
Can't you just sod off and stop whinging on every IT thread you see? If you had a clue you'd realise that in the situations the IT guys are NOT in control of what OS is being used or what the company budget is..

If you read my post carefully you may realise that I did refer to the people on top (it is also their job to convince or consult CEO / government / board of directors to purchase essential upgrades) and not the average security analyst down the chain. There are people responsible for making these decisions and now they should answer for it all.

P.S. HMRC is also in the same mess. Really not good.

re laptop - just buy your own. It is not great using business gear for personal needs and being spied up on by your boss, etc. You know they track you.

I run FF on W7. Adblock/Adblock Plus take care of the intrusive advertising, and there are settings you can adjust in most browsers to control how they handle third party cookies.

I've experimented with IE and Chrome, but I'm used to FF and it suits me. The only broadband connections I have access to (UK and SA) are very slow - around 2 mbps on a good day - and the browser doesn’t seem to make any noticeable difference.

If you read my post carefully you may realise that I did refer to the people on top (it is also their job to convince or consult CEO / government / board of directors to purchase essential upgrades) and not the average security analyst down the chain. There are people responsible for making these decisions and now they should answer for it all.

P.S. HMRC is also in the same mess. Really not good.

re laptop - just buy your own. It is not great using business gear for personal needs and being spied up on by your boss, etc. You know they track you.
Not just budget but legacy apps. We've got more accounts and main production apps that aren't 7+ or IE7+ compatible than I care to think about. Replacing/upgrading those world cost the business £100,000s.

Install Ghostery add on. Think it works with all browsers. Certainly works a treat with FF.

@trencheel303
As for the original problem, SOLVE this by disabling third party cookies, which is really easy to do in IE. it's under the cookie preferences, under the advanced button. Set third party cookie to block, and this will stop most targeted ads in their track.
Thanks for that, have doen so, will see what happens. I dont supose you could explain the differnece between first party and third party cookies? And by disabling third party what stuff now might not work? e.g. my bank login details are remembered at present, will they continue?

Thanks

Back