Bloody Currys/PC world

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
Interesting replies there

I did not purchase this ynseen and online - I went into thre Taunton branch and had a play - they did not have it in stock, however: It was delivered the next day as promised, the only part they got right

Just to be cear, for my part it's not the amount (£25) but the principle, they supplied faulty - not fit for purpose equipment, I did offer to return the keyboard to store, I was told no keep it and accept a £25 refund, then they themselves declined there own offer of a refund- If someone could explain to me how that happens - I would appreciated it

Les :)

e mail sent to CEO with a copy of my Trustpilot review :)

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE - Just rcieved this e mail :)

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for your email following your review posted on Trust Pilot.

I'm very sorry to learn that the 5% partial refund had been refused. Having looked on the order it appears this had been declined due to an administrative error by the colleague who had requested the refund for you.

The exact amount due to be refunded is £24.95, as this is 5% off of the £499 that you paid. I have resubmitted the refund again and this should be reimbursed in the next 5-7 working days.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that's been caused here and for the delay in receiving the refund.

If you have any further concerns or queries, please let me know.

Thanks,

Becky

TEAM KNOWHOW - Social Media

TEAM KNOWHOW Customer Contact Centre

We bought a TV from Currys/pc world and after 2-3 weeks it developed a small problem (the TV guide would lose channel information). I phoned up customer services, went through the usual things, do this do that. I was told if the problem comes back take the Tele back to the store and either exchange it or get a refund. Well the problem did come back, so off we went to the store, who said you can exchange it. No problems.
More recently we bought a new fridge freezer with a cold water dispenser (not plumbed in, but one you fill with water). This started to leak slightly out of the nozzle. Phoned up customer service, again went through the do this do that, which didn't fix the problem. So they arranged for Samsung to come out and fix/replace the part, which they did yesterday. So, so far I've not had a problem with their service.

Having looked on the order it appears this had been declined due to an administrative error
Of course it was ;)
Result Les (y)

Interesting replies there

I did not purchase this ynseen and online - I went into thre Taunton branch and had a play - they did not have it in stock, however: It was delivered the next day as promised, the only part they got right

Just to be cear, for my part it's not the amount (£25) but the principle, they supplied faulty - not fit for purpose equipment, I did offer to return the keyboard to store, I was told no keep it and accept a £25 refund, then they themselves declined there own offer of a refund- If someone could explain to me how that happens - I would appreciated it

e mail sent to CEO with a copy of my Trustpilot review :)
As I understand it, PC World did NOT replace your keyboard. What they did do was give you a £25 refund. And this £25 refund you have put towards the cost of a new keyboard. That in its self implies that the new keyboard cost more than £25, so the balance of the new keyboard must have come out of your own pocket.

So to summarise, you have spent your own money to rectify a fault that PC World should have rectified themselves at zero cost to you.

Personally I would not call that a result.

As I understand it, PC World did NOT replace your keyboard. What they did do was give you a £25 refund. And this £25 refund you have put towards the cost of a new keyboard. That in its self implies that the new keyboard cost more than £25, so the balance of the new keyboard must have come out of your own pocket.

So to summarise, you have spent your own money to rectify a fault that PC World should have rectified themselves at zero cost to you.

I thought the £25 was the price of the PCW keyboard? If he spent more on a better one that’s OK.

I used to work for them back in the day when they were just PC World. I was in Customer Services/Tech side so dealing with returns, repairs etc. I particularly remember one lady coming in with an Epson printer, half hanging out the box along with the rest of it's contents, demanding a refund as it didn't work. Policy was to test it first, so hooked it up to the test machine in the corner, printed test page.. no problem. Told the lady that unfortunately it was demonstrably working, and that if she wanted to bring her computer in I'd have a look at it and wave the fee (£20 or so back then). She was rather angry, spoke to my manager who backed me up. She brought her PC in, I installed it and tested it in about 6 minutes but her anger did not fade. She now just didn't want it and demanded a refund. She didn't get one, but did leave in a huff trailing bits of polystyrene in her wake!

I think she was probably the worst I ever had to deal with, but I watched others reduce my colleagues to tears. Sometimes the customer is just a complete and utter ****, never mind right.

Someone coming in with a 5 year extended warranty and a broken printer was the best thing ever for the sales folk.. just directed to go and look for a new printer with no fuss as other customers watched on :)

Seeing as you don't have your facts right let me put you on the right track

The keyboard sold separately was £9.95.

They gave me back £25,. How is that NOT a result???

back in the day when they were just PC World.
We had a Curry’s and a PC World in adjacent new shops. I was in Curry’s and interested in an “internet radio” and asked if they could demo it. “No, we haven’t got Wi-Fi“ he said. Me “but they’ve got Wi-Fi next door (PCW) why not log into that?”. “Oh no, they won’t let us use it!”. I left. :).

Just to bring this up to speed. I did not buy a new keyboard as I have several already. I just plugged in a Dell one

So the £25 just went into the bank

RESULT :)

Bought a few things off and on over the years but generally prefer to buy from almost anywhere else.
Only big ticket thing I bought was my LG TV as it was the only place left with stock on Black Friday about 3 years ago; but generally I'd rather pay a little extra (if needed) and buy from John Lewis on anything like that.

I think I must be unique in getting reasonable customer service from Currys, albeit in store.
Couple of years ago we bought a fridge/ freezer from them manufactured by a well known Korean manufacturer.
Currys delivered it OK so we followed the instructions , left it for 24 hours and turned it on.
It sounded like an old traction engine on its last legs, so I recorded the noise and went back to the shop (fortunately not too far away) found the lady in customer service explained the problem and played her the recording.
Yes there is something wrong, rang the manufacturer who despite hearing the recording would not do anything without an engineers visit ( in about a week).
Went off and found the store manager who agreed to replace it, so we chose another make ( German) , they delivered it next day only to find when they unpacked it the side was dented, they had to supply two more before we finally got one that was OK and undamaged .In fact the guys doing the delivery were unpacking them on the lorry before bringing them into the house
At least we got one which was OK in the end but without the store manager I shudder to think how we would have gone on.
John Lewis and Euonics in future.

As some of you may know I purchased a new pc on the 1st of this Month- within 3 days the letters on the keyboard became worn to the extent you could hardly see the letters E A or S

I complained on-line to them and a lady called me within hours and appologised and offered me a partial £25 refund, I accepted this =, as I could use the £25 to buy a bterr keyboard ( which I did )

However: The £25 refund did not appear in my bank some 20 days later :(

I called their customer service dept just now and enquired as to why - I was told my £25 refund had been declined- no explanation- just declined, confused?? so am I

Anyone else had this ?

Les

PS left them a lovely review on Trustpilot :) and I am now writing to the CEO to make a formal complaint too - they have NO customer service skills in my opinion

RANT OVER
Just to bring this up to speed. I did not buy a new keyboard as I have several already. I just plugged in a Dell one

So the £25 just went into the bank

RESULT :)
So even so you stated in your opening post that you DID buy a better keyboard with the £25, you are now saying you didn't.

I honestly don't believe a word you say.

So even so you stated in your opening post that you DID buy a better keyboard with the £25, you are now saying you didn't.

I honestly don't believe a word you say.
I care not what you believe why the hell should I, who are you anyway? Just a TROLL it would appear -

You made 61 posts in over 11 years on this forum and 3 of those are on this thread . thats 4,015 days and only 61 posts, Hardly a major contributor are you? you're a joke and I did not realise I had to explain every detail of my life to YOU, whoever you are???? Do you work for PC world by any chance? :ROFLMAO:

For clarity for everyone else, I ordered a keyboard from Amazon Prime and as the refund (by the time that was delivered), had not hit my account as promised. So, I sent it back to Amazon, for a full refund, so techinically I did and did not purchase a keyboard!

Unable to load image

Details

TECKNET 2.4G Wireless Keyboard For...Windows 10
Size: Mini
Colour: Black
£12.74

Refund issued

• £12.74 was sent to your original payment method

Refund on your card

milestone_checkmark_2x._CB449736331_.png

milestone_checkmark_2x._CB449736331_.png

That's what typing angry does - sorry :)
No apology necessary, and maybe “garbled” wasn’t the right word but I guessed (’cos it was obvious!) that something like what you describe had happened. ;).

I heard they are not good but in good news I bought a TV off them in a bank holiday sale 6 years ago and it came on the day they said it would come, and it came with free installation and they took the old one away. And they did all this without fuss. I still have it and probably would get another one from them if the price was right - particularly as they take the old one away for you - it is a nice service.

My old dear did the same and hers came, they tuned it it and took the old one away.

My only concern is I never watch it. I haven't turned the TV on in 3 months now and I don't really miss watching it.

Last edited:
I heard they are not good but in good news I bought a TV off them in a bank holiday sale 6 years ago and it came on the day they said it would come, and it came with free installation and they took the old one away. And they did all this without fuss. I still have it and probably would get another one from them if the price was right - particularly as they take the old one away for you - it is a nice service.

My old dear did the same and hers came, they tuned it it and took the old one away.

My only concern is I never watch it. I haven't turned the TV on in 3 months now and I don't really miss watching it.
Too busy with a camera Hey Steve?? I know that feelimg

Too busy with a camera Hey Steve?? I know that feelimg

Aye - far too busy and the processing just keeps building up. I am quite back logged with processing and DXO is so effing amazing I've decided to do all my old "good" images with it from scratch. I am totally in love with DXO PL4.

I doubt I'll have the TV on before Christmas, maybe longer and I do not miss it. If the weather is nice, I go out walking, exploring or driving, if is not I edit edit and edit or do other mundane jobs around the house.

If I get to Spain this year, with the images I take over there I might not have the TV on until March. I really don't miss it and kind have gotten out of the way of watching it.

Last edited:
I had a problem, stil unresolved with them last month. Working from home, I had to buy a new chair. Mine has broke and I didn’t have time to go looking on the weekend as I look after my disabled mum. I paid £150 online to Currys for a chair. Checked returns first. Fine. .

It arrived the next day, the box was almost completely destroyed. My brother set the chair up, it was pull n push connection on the bottom. I sat in the chair to try it out and my elbows were 2 inches above the arm rests and it wasn’t very comfortable. My. brother then tried to take the chair apart and the push pull on the bottom would not come apart, not for anything.

I contacted Curry’all’s to see how we do a return because the box was all broken. They were very polite and advise me to box it up and it would be picked up by the Courier. At that point I told them the box was all broken. The chair would not come apart and how was I supposed to get a chair into any box When it wouldn’t come apart. The gentleman on the phone was very polite and said he would book me a courier, I had this conversation three times on three separate occasions and they all came up with The same answer. I asked if I could return it to store and this was declined. In the end, just for the stress of it, I decided to keep the chair and just go with it. However the next day, the lever to raise the chair wouldn’t work.

So I now have a chair cost £150 that won’t move and I’m sitting at least 2 inches lower than I should and causing backache. If it wasn’t for the fact that it is such a stressful time, I would wheel the chair to the local store and protest outside. My brother has been trying to get the lever to work to no avail. I am now in a catch 22 situation where as I can’t get a box to put the chair to return it via a courier. Absolute nightmare

Did you pay by credit card? If so, does section 75 day anything about merchantable quality & fit for purpose.....in other words can you get your money back because the seller has failed to meet their obligations???

UPDATE - Just rcieved this e mail :)

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for your email following your review posted on Trust Pilot.

I'm very sorry to learn that the 5% partial refund had been refused. Having looked on the order it appears this had been declined due to an administrative error by the colleague who had requested the refund for you.

The exact amount due to be refunded is £24.95, as this is 5% off of the £499 that you paid. I have resubmitted the refund again and this should be reimbursed in the next 5-7 working days.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that's been caused here and for the delay in receiving the refund.

If you have any further concerns or queries, please let me know.

Thanks,

Becky

TEAM KNOWHOW - Social Media

TEAM KNOWHOW Customer Contact Centre

I wonder if that is a common reason for a refund being declined as mentioned in other posts???

Everything I have read here so far tells me they are "a right shower" to put it politely.

PS I/we have bought a few things from them over to the years, though not for some while now, of the rare times when I needed a get a refund in store....I recall it was painless.

I wonder if that is a common reason for a refund being declined as mentioned in other posts???

Everything I have read here so far tells me they are "a right shower" to put it politely.

PS I/we have bought a few things from them over to the years, though not for some while now, of the rare times when I needed a get a refund in store....I recall it was painless.

I did think that posting a bad review may alter there policy on refunds

What I couldn't grasp was them offering a refund then they declined it like a bad credit card lol.:)

Did you pay by credit card? If so, does section 75 day anything about merchantable quality & fit for purpose.....in other words can you get your money back because the seller has failed to meet their obligations???

No I paid with my Debit Card :)

This would be the man:

Tony Carroll​

Head of Compliance

Company Name
Dixons Carphone

Dates Employed Sep 2016 – Present

Employment Duration4 yrs 11 mos

LocationNorth Acton, London

Delivering a strong Governance, Risk and Compliance control environment across the business with a second line focus, covering advice and assurance across the range of Group operations. Oversight of Data Protection. Lead on regulatory relationships.

Something to bear in mind - next time I'll use the Credid Card for major purchases in looking on WEX as we speak :LOL:

If you have in the past used a Debit Card then the benefit of using a credit card is that you get up to 56days to pay it(depending on when you made the purchase in respect of the cc statement date).

Of course this is on the basis of always paying the cc statement in full, it is like having use of money that is not yours interest free during the 'purchase to payment date' period ;)

Edit ~ I only ever use a credit card online or even in store for all purchases major & minor. Cash in hand as appropriate yes but never my debit card.

Last edited:
Of course this is on the basis of always paying the cc statement in full, it is like having use of money that is not yours interest free during the 'purchase to payment date' period
Indeed "you" do need the manage your account, and its easy to see how some people get caught in the downward spiral of debt.

There was an advert on TV recently, an actor ;) had been refused credit by all the major companies.
I forget the name of the advertised company, but they had no hesitation in giving the person a CC card.
"They" we delighted as they could now decorate the whole house...
Talk about being irresponsible.

I've not seen it since. Hopefully it got pulled.

Indeed "you" do need the manage your account, and its easy to see how some people get caught in the downward spiral of debt.

There was an advert on TV recently, an actor ;) had been refused credit by all the major companies.
I forget the name of the advertised company, but they had no hesitation in giving the person a CC card.
"They" we delighted as they could now decorate the whole house...
Talk about being irresponsible.

I've not seen it since. Hopefully it got pulled.

Absolutely, I had a bill run up when I was in my 20's that took me nearly two years to clear (I think it was about £1000?) I vowed never again. If I cannot afford something it does not get bought......but info like having purchase protection afforded by using a CC and the interest free days just help with the cashflow/money management.

As for advertising, I cannot get my head round the spate and increasing frequency of the 'credit scoring' companies.......what is the purpose other than to "sell" credit services to the many and catching the (minority?) unwary into debt.

Last year I ordered a new oven (top end so expensive) I noticed on their website that they had price matching so quickly checked and found a better price (£164 cheaper). However, I noted that Curry's were stating that they would price match retrospectively up to 7 days. It may have been better to go straight into their price match then but I continued with the order then tried to claim the price match later. This did not seem to get me anywhere so the only option left was to write to an address in Leicester. There was no response to any method of communication so I took out a Small Claims Court case and as soon as the court papers reached their legal office, there was swift settlement. They paid me in full including the small court fee and I cancelled the case. Three months later, the Leicester office replied and tuned down my claim for reasons that would not have held up in court. I did not bother to reply to tell them that their legal dept. disagreed with them.

Dave
Obviously I don’t know about your purchase, but, when these firms say ‘price match’ it only applies to the same models and if you check around you can see that the model numbers vary from shop to shop even though the specifications are identical :(. For that reason I mostly ignore them, particularly the likes of Currys !

Back