Critique Bluebottles

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
No
Beginning to get to grips with my 28-50 Chinon zoom fitted in reverse on a Nikon D5100, the viewfinder is very dark when I stop down the aperture but the sun helped a lot in these shots. These Bluebottles seemed unable to fly and had wings that looked damaged, but it made them easy prey for the camera. At first I though they had been in the wars, but because of the number in the same condition I wonder if they were just emerged and were waiting for their wings to fill out and dry.

13912375505_dd50161c9d_b_d.jpg

13912793714_f1a08f2795_b_d.jpg

13912428653_1607166862_b_d.jpg

Wow, you've got some terrific contrast and detail. I think you might be right about them recently emerging, looks like the end of the wing just needs pumping up a bit more. They've somehow managed to start pollinating though but the looks of things.

Really nice series.

Thanks Tim, I have the picture mode set to landscape on my camera because I like the way it produces vibrant colours.

Good set Martyn - I have the D5100 but not a Chinon lens did you get this of E.Bay ?

Very good detail in these and wow sharp, that combination seems to work really well. ;)

Good set Martyn - I have the D5100 but not a Chinon lens did you get this of E.Bay ?

My brother in law gave it to me from his old film camera, it must be 40 year old! I didn't really want it but he said it would be ok for macro as a reversed lens and he was right. I can set it to 50mm to find my subject and get 1:1, then slowly zoom to 28mm and get really close to almost 3:1. Then with extension tubes on it's amazing on a tripod!

Back