Bokeh Nikon 50mm 1.4D **Pic added**

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I've just started to get around to playing with this lens, I tend to pass over too often. Though I'm having fun I think the bokeh, out of focus area, or whatever you call it these days, just looks horrible. Looks like a serious case of camera shake!

Wondered if any else had any opinions on this lens.

20101104-_MBP8630.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, I agree - that is pretty horrible. Can't say I've noticed it using mine (although I don't use it very often). It looks a lot like the bokeh mess you get when you use filters on some lenses though?

Jeez, that's evil. Looks like someone smeared vaseline on it.... :shrug:

Actually, I'd say there's something wrong with it - I've seen loads of bokeh pics using this lens and absolutely nothing like this....

Last edited:
this pic was taken with that same model of lens at f/2 & the background is just smoothly softened. there definitely seems to be an issue with your one :thinking:

4674352973_4f48585cd8_z.jpg

this pic was taken with that same model of lens at f/2 & the background is just smoothly softened. there definitely seems to be an issue with your one :thinking:

[IMG*]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4674352973_4f48585cd8_z.jpg[/IMG]

Doesn't look like a fair comparison to me, background distance may be different and foliage can tax the smoothness of bokeh of any lens (including 85/1.4D, 85/1.2L, etc). Also, the second pic some would argue isn't bokeh, it's just out of focus whereas the dog pic you can see the transition. I had a 50/1.4D, both pics look consistent with my experience. I now have the 50/1.4G which is better, though the Sigma 50/1.4 is better still.

I think both of the images above explain why some of us put up with the infuriating focusing issues and use the Sigma 50mm f1.4 which is in another class altogether re bokeh.

Someone bought along a Canon 85mm f1.8 the other day and the bokeh didn't seem to hot, the 100 2.8 seems nicer.

I used to have the same lens. At 1.4 the shots looked more like Adams. But even better to be honest.

Kev.

This is quite common on longer lenses - esp 'budget' zooms in the 70-300mm range and with cheap filters attached, but it's the first time I've seen it on such a short focal length (naked, as you put it...lol).

I have the 'G' variant of this lens and generally use it for full-length or 3/4 portraits, wide- or nearly wide-open. Not seen this so far, though I generally choose very uncluttered backgrounds...

Last edited:
Thanks for those James, I'd say it was similarly unpleasant on your third image too.

I think Robs right it really depends on your background for it to show up. Look at these two, same lens at 1.4. Not looking for prizes, just snaps of the new dawg :)

20101104-_MBP8585.jpg

20101107-_MBP8635.jpg

I'd be perfectly happy with the bokeh on those two.
I think I'll hire the newer 1.4 and see if theres any difference. It would be nice not to have to worry about the background. It's certainly not a problem on the 85mm 1.4

Back