Boots slide film

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
In Boots getting my lunch and noticed they had their slide film reduced to £5, I assume this still has its processing included... Is this worth a play?

I've never shot film before, tbh not shot an awful lot of film in the last few years only dug out my mums old OM-10 again in June. Been using my new dslr to try to get my hand in since its cheaper to make mistakes.

If that is with processing then yes. Without, no. Slide processing costs a lot more than C41.

If that's process paid, yes (Boots usually is).. it's been 3 for 2 at £9.99 each for a while. But I think they're down to their last stocks as every box I've seen was 02 2012 expiry.

If you want some FREE stuff for practicing, PM me your address and I'll dig out a couple of rolls of Fuji C200 (colour negative) and post it your way. You can put a donation in the RNLI box to cover the postage. I usually have a few rolls stashed away, freebies from getting MF film developed at Jessops.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to cross process slide film with B&W chemistry?....Iv' done it with standard colour 35mm film and got rid of the colour cast during scanning or PP.
I would be giving the film a go at a fiver if it included processing and of course if I had a Boots near me!!

I bought three rolls yesterday as it was still coming out in the three for two offer. The lady assured me that it was still free processing.

So a bit of a bargain, three rolls for nine pounds :)

Bloody good offer then. If its a 200iso film all the better, I always found sensia 200 gave much better colours and images in general than the 100. It was also easier to scan.

Cool, i'll grab a couple of rolls. Any tips for shooting slide over film?

Alastair, very generous ygpm.

Yes, be very careful with your exposure. Slide film has much less latitude and also a smaller DR. ;)

So patients padawan?

Only if that's Doctor Padawan.. .. it is preferred that non-medically qualified padawi stick with patience.. ..

:exit:

.. I didn't spend three years in evil padawan school to be known as Mr Padawan.. ..

By the way, it's not in every boots - I nipped in to town at lunch time and while they had loads of film on the shelves, it was still coming up at £10 per roll.

By the way, it's not in every boots - I nipped in to town at lunch time and while they had loads of film on the shelves, it was still coming up at £10 per roll.

It's only on stock dated to expire in February. Apparently, using OOD film is like the magic key into the lomo club :D

In that case I'd best nip round to the smaller one round the corner, had a lunch today so didn't make it.

I had this depressing experience in the Fleet Street Boots on Thursday, having noticed some months ago that their 3 for 2 slide films all had the February 2012 expiry date. Having seen just the day before that their Stafford branch had sold out of the same - by then expired - film at £1.99 per roll, I asked the Fleet Street branch whether they were discounting.

They told me they couldn't sell it as it was past its expiry date. My protest that it was perfectly usable fell on deaf ears. To make matters worse, they said they would not only remove it from their shelves but actually throw it away. I asked if they'd throw it at me, but they wouldn't.

They obviously had no idea about film at all, which was rather depressing. (They also seemed to have no idea about commerciality either!)

I had this depressing experience in the Fleet Street Boots on Thursday, having noticed some months ago that their 3 for 2 slide films all had the February 2012 expiry date. Having seen just the day before that their Stafford branch had sold out of the same - by then expired - film at £1.99 per roll, I asked the Fleet Street branch whether they were discounting.

They told me they couldn't sell it as it was past its expiry date. My protest that it was perfectly usable fell on deaf ears. To make matters worse, they said they would not only remove it from their shelves but actually throw it away. I asked if they'd throw it at me, but they wouldn't.

They obviously had no idea about film at all, which was rather depressing. (They also seemed to have no idea about commerciality either!)

I had a similar experience in Swansea with Sensia film, they treat it like a food product!

This is a really good find. Although there don't seem to be many fans of this film, fujilabs generally do good processing, slide film will help you get your exposure settings spot on and sensia/boots slide film scans well and looks good when you hold it up to the light.

For the record, the Boots I went in had 5 rolls at £4 each. A very good price without the 3for2 offer. The expiry is 4/2012.

I had to add a roll of superia to maximise the bargain!

Yep, had the same experience today.. only just out of date and the whole lot is to be destroyed!!!

When we we're young.....and life was still an open book.....lol

we used to hang around the plastic factory, waiting for them to chuck out their slightly off colour screw-in rugby boot studs..

I'm....like.....gifted at hanging upside down...in skips

well, at least I was when I was 12

:D

Got the slide film, as noted above its the 04-2012 expiry stuff.

It must be down to the store manager and he/she paying attention, the two larger boots near me had more date on them and no discount the very small one in Corstorphine village had no discount and the film had already expired...

The small Boots in the local shopping centre near me had three rolls left today. 4/2012 expiration. They weren't marked up as reduced or 3 for 2 but a quick chat to the clerk and hey presto, another three rolls for nine quid.

It's definitely worth asking if it's not marked as long as it has the 4/2012 date on it.

Me again. Just bought the last 3 rolls in Boots, Telford. Expiry date was also 04/12. £4.99 each but on offer at 3-for-2. I asked the sales assistant whether these were likely to be the last in, or the last ever, and she said "no" to both. She also confirmed that they were not permitted to sell out-of-date film.

So I suspect there is an official policy, albeit with some stores not following it or not knowing it. It obviously pays to hunt around - just don't go to the Fleet Street branch!

£4.99 each? they are £9.99 in my store????

Checked at London Bridge this morning: £9.99, no 3-for-2 deals and all stock with Feb 2012 expiry dates.

I popped into the large Boots next to the supermarket on the outskirts of town (Calcot, for those who know Reading) and they're running the 3-for-2 deal on all films but only had two slide films in stock, one 02/2012 on clearance at £4.99 and one 04/2012 at the regular price of £9.99.

The remainder of the stock was Kodak Gold and Fuji Superia, a few rolls of HP5 and XP2 but I've got enough B&W stock so I only bought the clearance tranny roll and that's already loaded in the FM. :)

Just got the last five rolls in KL store for 15.96, 02 2012 expiry.

Cool, i'll grab a couple of rolls. Any tips for shooting slide over film?

Alastair, very generous ygpm.

Steve - you have a parcel en-route.. 2x 36exp and 1x 24exp from the freezer (should be thawed when you get them!). Might have been another but Jessops was over-helpful.. I wound past the end of a roll of Portra 400 in the Optima and asked them to remove the film in the changing bag for me, they kindly reloaded with the free Fuji C200 :bang:

Thanks Alastair. How are Jessops at developing 35mm, with your donation and Jessops giving it away with processing it should keep me in practice film for a while. :)

Jessops are ok, but not brilliant. Their scans and prints are worse than their negatives, you can uusally get something better by going back to the negative and re-scanning (unless you get "develop only" and don't pay for a scan or print - cheaper, but you need a scanner).

C200 is ok for practice.. but it isn't anything special. Even with Jessops print quality, I can immediately see the difference loading with Portra has made, even using a basic 1970s compact and finishing the roll in dull overcast conditions this morning. Once you get a feel for shooting film, start using something better than the Jessops film. It's worth it.

Alastair said:
Just got the last five rolls in KL store for 15.96, 02 2012 expiry.

For a moment I was wondering what you were doing in Kuala Lumpur and was surprised there's a branch of Boots there :D

Jessops are ok, but not brilliant. Their scans and prints are worse than their negatives, you can uusally get something better by going back to the negative and re-scanning (unless you get "develop only" and don't pay for a scan or print - cheaper, but you need a scanner).

C200 is ok for practice.. but it isn't anything special. Even with Jessops print quality, I can immediately see the difference loading with Portra has made, even using a basic 1970s compact and finishing the roll in dull overcast conditions this morning. Once you get a feel for shooting film, start using something better than the Jessops film. It's worth it.

Next thing on the list is a film scanner so I can digitise some of the old negatives I've lost the prints for, but 'till then I'm limited to the scanning equipment of who ever does the processing. I had a film processed, printed and scanned at boots and the resolution was appalling and it left a rubbish colour cast. The prints and Negs were ok at best.

I have some Porta in a cold cupboard I bought just before I got the dslr, decided to get some more practice before running it through.

I've twice put film in to Jessops (once in Aberdeen, once here in Oxford) and both times been disappointed - water marks, random lenghts of film and scratches on the negs. If you're looking for a high street place to get them done, then I've used various branches of boots and they were ok.

Went in to the largest branch local (Barnstaple, Devon) to me and found 3 on the shelf.

Marked up for £9.99 so politely asked the girl behind the photo counter if it was possible to mark them down due to expiry date and I got them for £4.99 + 3 for 2. :D

Had a couple of results with the 2012/2 expiry films recently. Got two films reduced to £4.99 when I asked about the expiry date, then in another branch today I found one film, asked if there was a chance of a discount and was offered the film for £2.00. Even better, when I got my change out and realised I'd have to get a note out to pay, the cashier said not to worry and took £1.94 for it. :D

So this evening I will be using this in anger for the first time :) Going down to the beach for some sunsets. Quite looking forward to it. It's loaded into the X300 and ready to go.

Will share the results for sure.

One minor thing...how the dickens do you seal the little envelope they give you for sending it off? :LOL::shrug:

I've just got my three rolls back from the processor. Some of them even look acceptable, only took 18 months to shoot it all.

Back