Both hunter and hunted - A circle of life thing

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
A classic case of the hunter becomes the hunted.

p268581530-4.jpg

p50148120-5.jpg

p517343394-4.jpg

Last edited:
what an amazing set- truly lovely - sharp and well exposed:clap:

Circle of life indeed (y)

Les :D

Thanks guys. The irony is that neither the grebe or heron could swallow thier meals.
Andrew

O.M.G......superb images and sequential set.
So thought provoking.
Keith (y)

Superb, great shots showing nature as it is.

Nature with nature. Wonderfully captured Andrew :clap:

Di

Wow I never realised Herons went for birds as well, great shots!

Brillant set Andrew, really like them. Did the Heron catch the Little Grebe when it was alive? Its just that it is unusual to see Dabchicks in really shallow water and I was wondering if it was sick or something if this was the case? Fantastic photos

Hi Alan

The Little Grebe was caught in a place called Qurum Park here in Muscat. It has a lake which used to be an ornamental lake but has long been neglected and now holds quite a diverse range of bird life including quite a few Little Grebe.

At its deepest the lake is approx 2 meters I guess with shallower margins. I didnt see the initial strike but given the blood pouring from the grebe it would have been taken whilst alive. I startled the Heron and it flew some 25 to 30 meters down the edge of the lake before landing with the Grebe on a bank area. I took a few shots there before the Heron flew onto a small island in the middle of the lake. After 20 minutes or so of trying to swallow the Grebe it gave up and left it on the island.

There are a few more shots on my website under the Heron and Grebe gallery.

Rgds
Andrew

http://andrewa.zenfolio.com

Back